ADVERTISEMENT

Gable to NFL

Very TUFF to go D-line. No doubt has the gifts, but most in his shoes go O-line which i am not sure he is big enough to do? Guess we shall see?

Very TUFF to go D-line. No doubt has the gifts, but most in his shoes go O-line which i am not sure he is big enough to do? Guess we shall see?
He's just so different athletically than the Stephen Neal types that have gone to the nfl after wrestling. I bet if he did the combine he'd test in the top 5% of defensive linemen, maybe higher. With his quickness, balance, and strong hands he could be really tough to block. We know if he gets to a ball carrier he's going to take them down :). Or he could have zero football instincts and flame out quickly.

I’d be surprised if he made it past the first cut. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a gifted wrestler do everything in his power to avoid wrestling the way Gable seems to.

I think this goes to show how much you really need to love this sport.

I’d be surprised if he made it past the first cut. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a gifted wrestler do everything in his power to avoid wrestling the way Gable seems to.

Done it all and bored with the sport now? Idk to have those skills and not want to continue to dominate and be the guy in the world is crazy to me.

2 titles and a gold medal is a pretty good run. I think it's more about trying to make the big bucks the way someone with his level of athleticism can. If being the best wrestler in the world paid the way the NFL does I'm sure he'd still be wrestling.

Maybe a big inside linebacker, if he knows actually how to tackle.
He would also have to have a nose for the ball, Ray Lewis type.
He is gifted but I dont see him ever making the field legitimately.
He probably figures he can always go back to wrestling if none of these big money opportunities work. He could still make a nice living as a wrestler then coach some day.

He's just so different athletically than the Stephen Neal types that have gone to the nfl after wrestling. I bet if he did the combine he'd test in the top 5% of defensive linemen, maybe higher. With his quickness, balance, and strong hands he could be really tough to block. We know if he gets to a ball carrier he's going to take them down :). Or he could have zero football instincts and flame out quickly.
He’s never played football before now. Eveh…

Reactions: Chuck C
He just loves money more. Millions of dollars in WWE and NFL if you make it.
Money is the reason. He could go the assistant coach route like Dan Gable or David Taylor, and then work his way into a head coaching job, but there's no quick payout there, an uncertain future, and you have to have the temperament, skills, and patience to coach.

Heavyweights with great athletic ability, which certainly applies to Steveson, could make quicker money in the NFL. As LIbertylover said, "If you make it." I'd say that the odds are against him. Didn't Mocco try college football without success?

Steveson will be a bouncer at some bar on Hennepin Avenue in a couple years at the current pace.

What a waste.
Agree and yeah it’s sad. He was incredible to watch. He won’t make a team but if by miracle he does I’d love Tyler Linderbaum to be the first Hawkeye to put him on his back.

It depends how patient he is and if he’s willing to play football for little money. Brock didn’t exactly get cut for not being good enough. He lacked experience. The Vikings offered him a deal that would allocate him to a team in NFL Europe to gain experience and he chose to go to the UFC instead. If Steveson is willing to get cut by the Bills, but dedicate himself playing a season or two in the UFL, he might be able to make something of this. The problem might be finding a team to take him (actual Division 1 players get cut), but for publicity he could be good for the league.

I’m with you…incredible wrestling talent that could transition to MMA BUT I don’t see it transitioning to the NFL. Hate that he’s not sticking with what he’s so good at but one has to chase one’s dreams.

Reactions: el dub
He’s simply too far behind to catch up. I’d really like to know how fast he is. Unused fast twitch simply loses its schtick very quickly. If he hasn’t been sprinting for the past 4-5 years he’s already on the slow end of the distribution. I’m actually surprised more shot putters can’t make squads. I’ve seen some serious explosion from some in my past, as in standing two handed dunks at 6’3” 260 (in the 80’s when you could play D1 at that weight).

I thought all players had to go through the draft. If one is NOT drafted, then they can sign with any team that is willing to do so. Obviously, Gable never when through the draft, so I am confused.

I'd bet a lot of money he won't make the first cut. He needs to stop trying to follow in the footsteps of Lesner. He's not him. Lesner was a freak athlete. A once in a lifetime mixture of size and athletic ability. but Gable was the better wrestling talent and I don't think it's even close. He should forge his own path. He's not 6'2 290 pounds of pure muscle. But he's the best HW wrestler I've ever seen.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I thought all players had to go through the draft. If one is NOT drafted, then they can sign with any team that is willing to do so. Obviously, Gable never when through the draft, so I am confused.

Don't think so, plenty of rugby players in the last few years that never went through the draft. And players signed from overseas leagues or indoor leagues, etc are free agents.

I’m doubting Australian kickers necessarily go through the draft, either.

Don't think so, plenty of rugby players in the last few years that never went through the draft. And players signed from overseas leagues or indoor leagues, etc are free agents.

Interesting points. I think you are both correct, and I was somewhat correct. I found the current collective bargaining agreement for the NFL. Article 6, section 2, paragraph d of the current NFL CBA states "No player shall be eligible to be employed by an NFL Club until he has been eligible for selection in an NFL Draft."

Other sections of the CBA lead me to believe that everybody has a draft-eligible year, whether they even know about it or not. Your draft year comes when you are three years removed from your high school graduation, and you are no longer eligible to play NCAA sports. It seems that players needs to apply for special draft eligibility to forgo remaining college eligibility. I believe as an engineering student who took 5 years to graduate, I had a draft eligible year in 2004. So like Gable, I could now sign with an NFL team as a free agent (ignoring the absurdity of an NFL team singing a middle aged engineer).

I think Gable, the Australian kickers, and the Rugby players probably fall into the category of "they already had a year where they would have been eligible for selection in an NFL draft."

Of course, I am not a lawyer so take this analysis of the NFL CBA for what it is worth, which is pretty much nothing.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to watching him try. Wish he was on hard knocks this year with the Bears however.

Reactions: SansAgain
Interesting points. I think you are both correct, and I was somewhat correct. I found the current collective bargaining agreement for the NFL. Article 6, section 2, paragraph d of the current NFL CBA states "No player shall be eligible to be employed by an NFL Club until he has been eligible for selection in an NFL Draft."

Other sections of the CBA lead me to believe that everybody has a draft-eligible year, whether they even know about it or not. Your draft year comes when you are three years removed from your high school graduation, and you are no longer eligible to play NCAA sports. It seems that players needs to apply for special draft eligibility to forgo remaining college eligibility. I believe as an engineering student who took 5 years to graduate, I had a draft eligible year in 2004. So like Gable, I could now sign with an NFL team as a free agent (ignoring the absurdity of and NFL team singing a middle aged engineer).

I think Gable, the Australian kickers, and the Rugby players probably fall into the category of "they already had a year where they would have been eligible for selection in an NFL draft."

Of course, I am not a lawyer so take this analysis of the NFL CBA for what it is worth, which is pretty much nothing.
Interesting…

So, if a phenom from down under is good enough to kick in the NFL after graduating from high school, would they have to wait three years before being eligible for the draft?

I think that is a correct assesment. It's been a hot minute, but I recall Maurice Clarett sued the NFL because of this 3 year rule back around the 2003'ish time frame. By the time all the appeals were done he lost and had to wait the 3 years.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT