ADVERTISEMENT

Gable to NFL

anyone that doesn't think the NFL still does publicity stunts because they are the biggest league in the country is out of their mind. how do you think they got there in the first place?

I'll give yall something to pay attention to - notice how when every buffalo reporter, tweet, etc. referenced gable as OLYMPIC CHAMPION or OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST. They don't give a shit about who he is - they care about what he achieved. As they should.

also, anyone that doesn't think BUFFALO needs to or wants to partake in a publicity stunt because they are "good" I give you:

buffalo+league+launch.png

You’re definitely right, no NFL player has ever had success without playing college football. Stephen Neal, Antonio Gates, among others are just figments of our imagination.

stephen neal was 6'4" and 305. He cut weight to get to heavyweight. Gable is 5" shorter and doing everything he can to put on weight. neal also played football his entire youth.

gates was the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star two sport athlete recruit. to make reference to him and compare to gable is insane.

Last - the "three year contract" means absolutely nothing. he will not make the team.

You’re definitely right, no NFL player has ever had success without playing college football. Stephen Neal, Antonio Gates, among others are just figments of our imagination.
The major distinction here is that Neal and Gates had backgrounds in football from childhood through high school. I also believe Gates originally planned to play football at Michigan State under Saban but later opted to transfer and pursue basketball instead.

With that in mind, can you think of anyone who has made an NFL roster without playing a single snap of competitive football until they were 24 years old? He certainly has an uphill climb to make that roster.

With that in mind, can you think of anyone who has made an NFL roster without playing a single snap of competitive football until they were 24 years old? He certainly has an uphill climb to make that roster.

Outside of punters, I can only think of one. Jordan Mailata made the switch from rugby and was drafted after being invited to the combine. Granted, he’s also about 6’8” and 370lbs. I don’t know how old he was when he made the switch.

Reactions: GlenHawk and el dub
anyone that doesn't think the NFL still does publicity stunts because they are the biggest league in the country is out of their mind. how do you think they got there in the first place?

I'll give yall something to pay attention to - notice how when every buffalo reporter, tweet, etc. referenced gable as OLYMPIC CHAMPION or OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST. They don't give a shit about who he is - they care about what he achieved. As they should.

also, anyone that doesn't think BUFFALO needs to or wants to partake in a publicity stunt because they are "good" I give you:

buffalo+league+launch.png

stephen neal was 6'4" and 305. He cut weight to get to heavyweight. Gable is 5" shorter and doing everything he can to put on weight. neal also played football his entire youth.

gates was the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star two sport athlete recruit. to make reference to him and compare to gable is insane.

Last - the "three year contract" means absolutely nothing. he will not make the team.
^^^^It was a stunt from the get-go.

^^^^It was a stunt from the get-go.

It's not a stunt weirdo.

They're giving him a chance. The Bills coach is in complete love with wrestling and wrestlers. Gable is athletic enough to give him a chance. If he were able to stay on the practice squad for 2 seasons, he has an outside chance of making a roster.

Long-shot? yes. Near impossible that he even makes the practice squad? yes. But it's not a stunt. The Bills and every other NFL team don't need stunts. It's June bro. And they have no vested interest - if he doesn't make the roster he gets cut and they owe him exactly zero dollars.

It's not a stunt weirdo.

They're giving him a chance. The Bills coach is in complete love with wrestling and wrestlers. Gable is athletic enough to give him a chance. If he were able to stay on the practice squad for 2 seasons, he has an outside chance of making a roster.

Long-shot? yes. Near impossible that he even makes the practice squad? yes. But it's not a stunt. The Bills and every other NFL team don't need stunts. It's June bro. And they have no vested interest - if he doesn't make the roster he gets cut and they owe him exactly zero dollars.
We'll know soon enough, won't we?

• Sad
Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
It's not a stunt weirdo.

This is my take. He is a once in a generation talent as a heavyweight wrestler. The head coach of the Bills is a guy that strongly believes that those talents and techniques translate to the football field and thinks it is worth his time and effort to give the guy a chance.

Carlton Haselrig was one of my all favorite athetes. Won a state championship at a school without a team, won 6 NCAA championships, got drafted in the last round by the Steelers without playing college football, started at DT got moved to guard, made All-Pro. Pretty impressive and he was only 6" 1/2" tall but physically, not much he couldn't do. A true freak of nature. Lived kind of a sad and tragic life but he was really special.

It's not a stunt weirdo.

McDermott was a 2x National Prep champ back in the 90's. He's had Cael speak in front of the team too. He LOVES wrestling.

Reactions: hlstone and vhsalum
Carlton Haselrig was one of my all favorite athetes. Won a state championship at a school without a team, won 6 NCAA championships, got drafted in the last round by the Steelers without playing college football, started at DT got moved to guard, made All-Pro. Pretty impressive and he was only 6" 1/2" tall but physically, not much he couldn't do. A true freak of nature. Lived kind of a sad and tragic life but he was really special.
What do you mean he was a six timer??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT