ADVERTISEMENT

Gable

But they aren’t Trump and he had nothing to do with the actual recommendation. Many are calling it political because of the timing when it’s not based on who recommended it.
It's not that hard. Him being recommended wasn't political. Trump's decision to accept the recommendation 2 months later for a campaign visit a few weeks before the election in a swing state is. But it's the most standard, conventional political act ever, and doesn't take anything away from Gable imo. Every campaign ever works local stories into their broader events. No big deal and I highly doubt it's going to affect who wins the state.

It's not that hard. Him being recommended wasn't political. Trump's decision to accept the recommendation 2 months later for a campaign visit a few weeks before the election in a swing state is. But it's the most standard, conventional political act ever, and doesn't take anything away from Gable imo. Every campaign ever works local stories into their broader events. No big deal and I highly doubt it's going to affect who wins the state.
But the left will still disparage Gable now because we’ll Trump. Good call, I feel sorry for anyone who disagrees with them. What happened to all those on either side who do that, sad and pathetic.

“Considered black”

tenor.gif
He is half white and half black.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I think making this a political issue kind of belittles the accomplishments of his. He won the award because he’s an incredible ambassador to the sport of wrestling, not to mention the USA. To say he’s getting this award to score political points is a slap in the face to all he’s done for the sport, this state, and our country. Just my opinion.

But the left will still disparage Gable now because we’ll Trump. Good call, I feel sorry for anyone who disagrees with them. What happened to all those on either side who do that, sad and pathetic.
"The left" has no idea who Dan Gable is, nor do they care. The only people who are going to know about this are Dan, his friends, family, and fans. Don't throw a hissy fit because a few people pointed out the timing makes it a political thing, albeit an incredibly boring/conventional one.

Reactions: HawkGem10
LOL, even the great Dan Gable can't unite good ol' Hawkeye Report.

This medal means nothing, but still cool none the less. Obama gave it to people like Tom Hanks, Ellen, MJ, Robert De Niro, Lorne Michaels, etc. So yeah, Presidential Medal of Freedom was cheapened well before Trump (and I'm sure before Obama too.).

The cancer of modern day politics has infected this forum worse than covid ever could. It amazes me how passionate so many of you get about politicians who couldn't care less if you were alive or dead (on both sides). Talk about unreciprocated loyalty. Can we all go back to a time where political conversations were kept (mostly) to ourselves and appreciate a great award to a deserving man in Gable?

So the bi-partisan group who recommended it in August had what kind of political underpinning?

You keep throwing this out here in the thread as if it's some sort of (no pun intended) trump card. It isn't. President Trump's decision to grant that request at a campaign event shortly before the election is the political part of the equation. He's not going to be making these kind of moves in solid red or solid blue states, although I bet there are tons of bipartisan groups making similar requests. Now, as far as President Trump goes, this about the least objectionable political maneuver you can make, I'm not really castigating him for it, it's just funny and obviously a bit of political pandering, which is what politicians do.

My understanding is that he will soon be announcing Presidential Medals of Freedom to be awarded to Mickey Mouse and the Ohio State Buckeye mascot!

You keep throwing this out here in the thread as if it's some sort of (no pun intended) trump card. It isn't. President Trump's decision to grant that request at a campaign event shortly before the election is the political part of the equation. He's not going to be making these kind of moves in solid red or solid blue states, although I bet there are tons of bipartisan groups making similar requests. Now, as far as President Trump goes, this about the least objectionable political maneuver you can make, I'm not really castigating him for it, it's just funny and obviously a bit of political pandering, which is what politicians do.

My understanding is that he will soon be announcing Presidential Medals of Freedom to be awarded to Mickey Mouse and the Ohio State Buckeye mascot!
Put this way, there are tons of great people in this country that are perhaps worthy of such an award, but only a fraction will be fortunate to win it due to circumstances outside of their control. Such is life. Gable is one of the lucky few whose worthiness aligned with the right moment (Trump making a campaign trip to Iowa).

Not trying to argue there wasn't a campaign related aspect to it, but Trump probably hasn't been in Iowa that many times since the recommendation, and not sure if he will be again before he (potentially) leaves office.

From that lens, this was the best opportunity to acknowledge Gable in a public setting, and he deserved that recognition (even if Gable's humility wouldn't necessarily admit it).

Unfortunate takes by many. Most everything a politician does is political, even more so today vs. yesterday, that includes Obama and Trump. and based on the conversation in this thread, no matter what the intent, this isn't swaying anyone, one way or the other. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded to those who have, "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".

You can argue if many people who have been awarded this medal are worthy, but I don't think you can make the case that Gable isn't. As a college athlete and college coach alone he is as qualified as many other athletes who have received it, but his contribution to international wrestling certainly put him over the top.

First as an athlete in the 72 Olymipics, winning Gold without giving up a single point, his accomplishment in capturing the attention of our cold war adversary and proving American athletic skill against those running on the propaganda of their system of state sponsored superiority was 2nd, (albeit distant 2nd) only to Jesse Owens showing at the 36 Olympics in Berlin, in my mind.

His post retirement efforts to save Wrestling as part of the Olympic games was outstanding. He was at the forefront of that movement and went beyond protecting American interests. He was a world ambassador for the sport and a major voice for the cause, which resulted in a successful outcome.

Unfortunately nothing can be expressed or given these days without mention of a possible political angle or agenda, which is too bad. I for one don't care if Obama or Trump or Bush or Clinton were giving this out, that it was well deserved is enough for me as a fan of Dan Gable and wrestling, seeing that it was done in front of a home crowd seems appropriate, no matter the circumstances.

Unfortunate takes by many. Most everything a politician does is political, even more so today vs. yesterday, that includes Obama and Trump. and based on the conversation in this thread, no matter what the intent, this isn't swaying anyone, one way or the other. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded to those who have, "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".

You can argue if many people who have been awarded this medal are worthy, but I don't think you can make the case that Gable isn't. As a college athlete and college coach alone he is as qualified as many other athletes who have received it, but his contribution to international wrestling certainly put him over the top.

First as an athlete in the 72 Olymipics, winning Gold without giving up a single point, his accomplishment in capturing the attention of our cold war adversary and proving American athletic skill against those running on the propaganda of their system of state sponsored superiority was 2nd, (albeit distant 2nd) only to Jesse Owens showing at the 36 Olympics in Berlin, in my mind.

His post retirement efforts to save Wrestling as part of the Olympic games was outstanding. He was at the forefront of that movement and went beyond protecting American interests. He was a world ambassador for the sport and a major voice for the cause, which resulted in a successful outcome.

Unfortunately nothing can be expressed or given these days without mention of a possible political angle or agenda, which is too bad. I for one don't care if Obama or Trump or Bush or Clinton were giving this out, that it was well deserved is enough for me as a fan of Dan Gable and wrestling, seeing that it was done in front of a home crowd seems appropriate, no matter the circumstances.

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
Ugh...what mixed feelings.

He’s an awesome man and absolutely deserves this. That’s why it sucks...he’s being used as a political pawn...which means many people won’t give this the weight and appreciation it/he deserves.

I wish it could have been received in different circumstances.
GTFO with that crap. What a miserable human being you must be.
The left just wants us to wait since it’s an election year and let the people decide if Dan Gable should be honored or not.
I think making this a political issue kind of belittles the accomplishments of his. He won the award because he’s an incredible ambassador to the sport of wrestling, not to mention the USA. To say he’s getting this award to score political points is a slap in the face to all he’s done for the sport, this state, and our country. Just my opinion.

It takes a completely brain-wiped Trump cultist, with their head firmly up their rectum, to not figure out that this was a political ploy. It absolutely tarnishes it.

The only thing sad about this whole thing is the fact Mr. Gable didn't make a run at the Oval Office himself over the years.

Well done Gable.

Reactions: 24 so far
It takes a completely brain-wiped Trump cultist, with their head firmly up their rectum, to not figure out that this was a political ploy. It absolutely tarnishes it.

Do we really need to list the accomplishments of Dan Gable on an Iowa wrestling board? One of the best college wrestlers of all time, the best wrestling coach of all time, probably the most recognizable name in the sport to this day, Olympic champion, and he lead a group that helped keep wrestling in the Olympics. This is well earned, you can argue about well timed if you really must, I won’t.

I’m not a brain whipped Trump fan as your ridiculous post suggest. I didn’t vote for him the first time and I won’t vote for him now. I will always tip my hat to Dan Gable.

Last edited:
I’m not a brain whipped Trump fan as you ridiculous post suggest. I didn’t vote for him the first time and I won’t vote him now. I will always tip my hat to Dan Gable.
I wasn’t implying you were, unless you’re honestly saying it wasn’t a sad political ploy to rescue his election chances in a state he’s fallen behind in. The timing just makes it so obvious. Trump would never have done it otherwise. Yet Gable still deserves it. We can absolutely hold those ideas in our head at the same time.

Reactions: ebdad
Love Dan Gable but despise Don Trump. Well deserved Dan!
[/
Love Dan Gable but despise Don Trump. Well deserved Dan!
wow a political page. Thought it was a wrestling page. Dan gable did what was best for him. And he has an opinion and entitled to it. Do you fault him for what he said. If not then get off of it.

My goodness. Can't believe people are actually upset that Dan Gable received it. He 1000% deserved it and it was recommended by a bi-partisan group in August. News flash, politicians only do things for their own gain but to think he didn't deserve it or shouldn't get it because it's an election year is a horrible take

My goodness. Can't believe people are actually upset that Dan Gable received it. He 1000% deserved it and it was recommended by a bi-partisan group in August. News flash, politicians only do things for their own gain but to think he didn't deserve it or shouldn't get it because it's an election year is a horrible take

Find me anybody claiming he didn't deserve it in this thread. Nobody seriously thinks that within our community.

You can't win an argument w/ the Libbys bro - not worth the effort. It's a great award regardless of the timing.

Any yes - they are miserable human beings and they know it. Funny thing is, Trump knows it too and the Libby Express takes the cheese every time. I'd love to play poker w/ a radical lefty - EASY MONEY dude. They show you their hand every time. Too Funny. (Mitch- I'm sure you'll be chiming in soon)

The word you’re looking for is “projection.”

I think everyone believes Gable deserves the award. But I doubt Trump knows or cares about any of his accomplishments; his motivation was almost certainly that his people told him it would be a good political move. As a wrestling fan it would have been more satisfactory had Gable recieved the award from a less polarizing President whose motivation was a little more pure.

On the other hand, Gable seems (disappointingly) to be an enthusiastic Trump supporter, so if he is happy then I really have no complaints.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT