ADVERTISEMENT

Game Notes/Two Deeps for Iowa vs. Iowa State

No QB change?

kicked-in-the-nuts-kicked.gif

Not that I expect an answer, but hopefully someone asks Kirk tomorrow how long the leash is for Petras.

Barring injuries, I’m not sure I’ve seen so many changes listed on the 2 deep for the OL under Kirk from one game to the next.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Barring injuries, I’m not sure I’ve seen so many changes listed on the 2 deep for the OL under Kirk from one game to the next.
OL going to be a work in progress for awhile. Even when it gets better I don’t expect anything from this offense

Reactions: MitchLL
I don't remember the last time I was less excited for the Iowa-Iowa State game. Maybe things will change as Saturday approaches, but right now I'll be content with catching the highlights (if there are any).
I always dread the game.

I expect the QB to complete passes to open receivers under minimal to mild pressure.
I do too. I’m by no means excusing Petras - he was poor.

I expected the offense to be ugly when I saw we were only playing primarily 1 scholarship receiver, down a RB, and otherwise relying on walk on receivers who had zero game experience.

what we got was far worse than I expected.

I expected the offense to be ugly when I saw we were only playing primarily 1 scholarship receiver, down a RB, and otherwise relying on walk on receivers who had zero game experience.

Down a RB made no difference. Missing open Receivers was not because guys were out

Keegan Johnson's injury is setting off alarm bells in my head - its starting to look like this is going to be lingering for awhile.

We could use all the skill talent we can get back ASAP at this point.
It's been lingering since the bowl game. Don't think he has seriously practiced since then

Reactions: crstuff

It's the chicken or the egg scenario. The O-line play wasn't great, but how much of that was due to SDSU loading the box? A QB with the yips is no threat to making passes down field.

It's the chicken or the egg scenario. The O-line play wasn't great, but how much of that was due to SDSU loading the box? A QB with the yips is no threat to making passes down field.
Idk if I was unfortunately all that surprised by Spencer, thought I thought he’d be marginally more competent at least. What did shock me was how frequently blockers just whiffed on guys. judging by the major shuffling we saw on the depth chart there, Kirk saw that as well.

Idk if I was unfortunately all that surprised by Spencer, thought I thought he’d be marginally more competent at least. What did shock me was how frequently blockers just whiffed on guys. judging by the major shuffling we saw on the depth chart there, Kirk saw that as well.
Yeah everything was bad. All of us non-informed fans see the overthrows/bad passes. The issue was how many plays (run and pass) had zero chance to succeed because they were not blown up by poor blocking. Most emblematic was the rollout pass called in the second half on like 3rd and 4. Against the coverage they were getting it should have been an easy completion to Bruce. But the RG lets a guy come right across his face, the center can't reach the guy and one DL who does nothing super special on the play is right in Petras' lap and hits him as he throws. All the line has to do there is literally get in the guy's way for a second and there will be enough time to throw the ball. Amazing.

Hopefully there is some improvement with Colby back at RG this week and with another game for the center.

Yeah everything was bad. All of us non-informed fans see the overthrows/bad passes. The issue was how many plays (run and pass) had zero chance to succeed because they were not blown up by poor blocking. Most emblematic was the rollout pass called in the second half on like 3rd and 4. Against the coverage they were getting it should have been an easy completion to Bruce. But the RG lets a guy come right across his face, the center can't reach the guy and one DL who does nothing super special on the play is right in Petras' lap and hits him as he throws. All the line has to do there is literally get in the guy's way for a second and there will be enough time to throw the ball. Amazing.

Hopefully there is some improvement with Colby back at RG this week and with another game for the center.
Yeah that’s my primary hope for g2 - that the OL issues had as much to do with several guys getting their first game snaps at their respective positions as anything else.

Yeah, I hope this isn’t one of those situations where they suddenly announce a retirement from football?…

My understanding is that this is not the same injury as the bowl game - abdominal strain I think?

Not sure they’ve publicly said what this injury is tho.

I don't remember the last time I was less excited for the Iowa-Iowa State game. Maybe things will change as Saturday approaches, but right now I'll be content with catching the highlights (if there are any).
What are you saying? There will be highlights because Iowa will punt a bunch.

Hearing some rumors that this may be more than just injury. Only rumors right now but doesn't sound good...

Not saying anymore than that because they're just rumors this point and I have no first hand knowledge.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
My understanding is that this is not the same injury as the bowl game - abdominal strain I think?

Not sure they’ve publicly said what this injury is tho.
If it is a core injury (abdominal or oblique) those can be a very long recovery period. Where literally the only thing to do is rest. Whatever it is, hope he gets better soon. I'm sure he is as frustrated as anyone by the inability to play.

Reactions: owenhawk
If it is a core injury (abdominal or oblique) those can be a very long recovery period. Where literally the only thing to do is rest. Whatever it is, hope he gets better soon. I'm sure he is as frustrated as anyone by the inability to play.
The core injury was the previous one. Right not it is a hamstring.

Hearing some rumors that this may be more than just injury. Only rumors right now but doesn't sound good...

Not saying anymore than that because they're just rumors this point and I have no first hand knowledge.
What player are you referencing?

Exactly what Kirk was speaking up when he said there are multiple issues. The old saying is it all starts up front. The Chicago Bears are gonna find that out this season also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT