ADVERTISEMENT

Game Notes/Two Deeps for Iowa vs. Iowa State

It's the chicken or the egg scenario. The O-line play wasn't great, but how much of that was due to SDSU loading the box? A QB with the yips is no threat to making passes down field.
We don't need the chicken. The QB and OL lay the eggs around here.

Changes from last week's depth chart:
Brecht in. Yahya Black and Jestin Jacobs out.

OLine went from
Richman Elsbury Jones Colby Plumb
to
Richman DeJong Jones Stephens Colby
I like Stephens. Richman, Elsbury, Colby, Plumb and DeJong are all meh and Jones is awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
I like Stephen's, Richman, Elsbury, Colby, Plumb and DeJong are all meh and Jones is awful.

Only the first game for Jones so hopefully he improves. Plays like that again and I wouldn’t be shocked to see myslinki out there soon.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Still makes me nervous. Rumors can go either way. I.e. Davidkov. This offense absolutely not afford to lose KJ this year or for his career (obviously).
People are making too much of this. He's a good player, but its not like he's been David Bell or even Smith Marsette yet and he hasn't been practicing in pads for 9 months. Besides that, I'm not sure that it really matters all that much if line and QB play don't improve significantly from what we saw last week.

Reactions: mchawk57
People are making too much of this. He's a good player, but its not like he's been David Bell or even Smith Marsette yet and he hasn't been practicing in pads for 9 months. Besides that, I'm not sure that it really matters all that much if line and QB play don't improve significantly from what we saw last week.
Respectfully disagree. He and Arland are the only WRs that strike any fear in opposing DCs downfield IMO.

This ^^. Shows how bad our receiver unit is really. It doesn't matter who is at receiver as long as Petras is playing.

Reactions: drew_hawk
Iowa should either:
A. Put a 2 deep out that represents where things actually stand; or
B. Not publish a 2 deep.

putting out knowingly inaccurate (intentionally or because of lack of caring) information is a bad look for a program that focuses on the detail.
That’s football

This ^^. Shows how bad our receiver unit is really. It doesn't matter who is at receiver as long as Petras is playing.
Exactly. The WR position is the least of our concerns right now.

Exactly. The WR position is the least of our concerns right now.
Not the least of our concerns, but you're right if you're suggesting the entire offense is a concern. I think that's what makes it so difficult to fix. We don't have a great unit on the team. IMO, the units that are of greatest concern in order are:

1) Oline- If the oline continues to look like it did last week the Hawks could go winless in the B1G.

2) Quarterback- Like the oline, massive improvement needed over last week or this team won't win more than 3-4 games this year.

3) Receivers- This has to be the weakest WR group in the B1G. Not that Iowa leverages the passing game but if opponents don't see it as a threat the running game won't go anywhere either. Need KJ healthy and playing

4) Running backs- The jury is still out on this group. Anyone can run through a big hole, but I don't know that we have the kind of dynamic back that can make something out of nothing. Unless the oline can improve dramatically, who amongst this group can do that?

5) Tight end- Given the oline struggles, tight end blocking will be more important than ever. I don't know that either LaPorta or Lachey excels in that. Drops have been a problem as well.

This offense wasn't ready to play last week. That's on the coaches. The question is whether this group of players have the talent and coaching behind them to fix it, and fast. It all starts with the oline though because none of the rest matters until that group looks like a P5 unit out there.

Last edited:
Not the least of our concerns, but you're right if you're suggesting the entire offense is a concern. I think that's what makes it so difficult to fix. We don't have a great unit on the team. IMO, the units that are of greatest concern in order are:

1) Oline- If the oline continues to look like it did last week the Hawks could go winless in the B1G.

2) Quarterback- Like the oline, massive improvement needed over last week or this team won't win more than 3-4 games this year.

3) Receivers- This has to be the weakest WR group in the B1G. Not that Iowa leverages the passing game but if opponents don't see it as a threat the running game won't go anywhere either. Need KJ healthy and playing

4) Running backs- The jury is still out on this group. Anyone can run through a big hole, but I don't know that we have the kind of dynamic back that can make something out of nothing. Unless the oline can improve dramatically, who amongst this group can do that?

5) Tight end- Given the oline struggles, tight end blocking will be more important than ever. I don't know that either LaPorta or Lachey excels in that. Drops have been a problem as well.

This offense wasn't ready to play last week. That's on the coaches. The question is whether this group of players have the talent and coaching behind them to fix it, and fast. It all starts with the oline though because none of the rest matters until that group looks like a P5 unit out there.
hate to be in agreement but that's what it looked like last week.
that said, even poorly skilled and outmanned units usually work together and it can be very visible that lack of success is caused by a low talent ceiling. In our case, however, every one of the 5 units has looked out of sync with each other. This weirdly offers some hope that an incremental 2-5% improvement in each unit (cohesiveness wise) might have significant improvements in outcome ie the whole can be significant;y more than the sum of parts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT