ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Barta's Head? Only two...

Wrestling isn't even a big deal in midwest outside of the die-hards or it would be on TV!!!!!!.......period!!!!!! Unless its PSU or another rival, carver is far from full in tradition-rich iowa city. Niche sport but Bowlsby hired Brands so not sure why you are crediting Barta for this.

Originally posted by ukrainehawk:

For all of you who have posted calling for Gary Barta's head, it might interest you to know that, as of yesterday, Iowa is one of only two universities in the United States to put both men's and women's basketball teams in the NCAA tournament, put their football team in a bowl game and finish in the top 5 nationally in Wrestling - as a matter of fact, in the top 2. The other school? Ohio State. Pretty good company.
hqdefault.jpg

Originally posted by jo2knight:

For all of you who have posted calling for Gary Barta's head, it might interest you to know that, as of yesterday, Iowa is one of only two universities in the United States to put both men's and women's basketball teams in the NCAA tournament, put their football team in a bowl game and finish in the top 5 nationally in Wrestling - as a matter of fact, in the top 2. The other school? Ohio State. Pretty good company.
Now look at the last 10 years. Does he get 9 mulligans? We are in dead last in the BIG 10 for the directors cup in 6 of the last 8 years posted in his wiki profile...
Imho, Barta hasn't done a good job other than in fund raising (which, granted, is a large part of his job), but the director's cup argument is crap. As I understand it, a school gets the same amount of points for winning the women's trap shooting title as the men's football playoff. Seems to me to make that to be valid, for winning a title, the school should get the same number of points as the number of teams participating in that sport, with a sliding scale from there on down.

Win football - 125 schools - get 125 points
Win men's gymnastics -- 15 schools - get 15 points,
Etc.

Re: Gary Barta's Head? Only two...

Women's Volleyball and Baseball (when Nebraksa is good) typically hover around break even/ in then black.

Originally posted by St. Louis Hawk:

Now look at the last 10 years. Does he get 9 mulligans? We are in dead last in the BIG 10 for the directors cup in 6 of the last 8 years posted in his wiki profile...
Imho, Barta hasn't done a good job other than in fund raising (which, granted, is a large part of his job), but the director's cup argument is crap. As I understand it, a school gets the same amount of points for winning the women's trap shooting title as the men's football playoff. Seems to me to make that to be valid, for winning a title, the school should get the same number of points as the number of teams participating in that sport, with a sliding scale from there on down.

Etc.
You don't understand it correctly.

Probably one of the best AD's Iowa had was Bump Elliott. Even he had a bad hire in Bob Commings. I don't really care about the minor athletics at Iowa. It's football 1st and basketball 2nd. Barta's biggest problems were in keeping Ferentz this long and hiring Lick.

As far as football goes it was a lot easier to fire a Lauterbur after a 4-28-1 career record than Barta firing Ferentz with his record. I believe this is Ferentz's make or break year. With that I'm waiting to see what Barta does after this football season. Then if Ferentz gets fired I would like to see who Barta replaces him with. I think then a better judgment can be made on Barta as an AD.
This post was edited on 3/25 11:55 AM by grosie#2

Originally posted by scarletred:

. The SEC,Pac 12 and ACC could careless and the majority of teams in those conferences don't even have a wrestling program including some Big 12 schools.
So, that means that they care, right? You lose all credibility when you can't post that phrase correctly.

Profitability is a funny thing. Pretty easy to make a program look like it isn't making money. Or find ways to demonstrate that college athletics is a nonprofit

I wonder how many programs are assigned a share of building costs as fixed costs that truly would not be necessary? So they assign a portion of the operational expense for carver to volleyball even though that really should not be a part of the volleyball expense structure.

Originally posted by FG86:

Etc.
You don't understand it correctly.
What am I missing? The attached chart says each school gets 100 points for a 1st place team, no matter how many teams compete for the championship in that sport. And the language below from the director's cup website says the same thing - all sports are equal.

Value by Sport
Based on the adoption of the above philosophy, the committee reinstated all sports in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship, along with Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly I-A) football, to full scoring values. This means that for all sports that meet the above criteria, first place is worth 100 points.

100 points for 1st

Originally posted by hawkedoff:
Profitability is a funny thing. Pretty easy to make a program look like it isn't making money. Or find ways to demonstrate that college athletics is a nonprofit

I wonder how many programs are assigned a share of building costs as fixed costs that truly would not be necessary? So they assign a portion of the operational expense for carver to volleyball even though that really should not be a part of the volleyball expense structure.
But there are two sides to that coin.

Example: Before CHA was built, the maintenance, utilities, all the costs of operating the Field House, were paid out of general funds. Several hundred grand a year, not charged to the AD. This made the expense side of the budget look artificially low.

And I don't understand why you think volleyball shouldn't be assessed a share of the cost of CHA.

I don't know how ISU does it now, because Hilton was moved from the Iowa State Center to the Athletics Department half a dozen years ago. Until that happened, the various sports that used it paid rent. I would think the sports should now be showing some facilities expense in their budget. I mean, if they're using the building, why shouldn't they be assessed some of the cost?

What am I missing? The attached chart says each school gets 100 points for a 1st place team, no matter how many teams compete for the championship in that sport. And the language below from the director's cup website says the same thing - all sports are equal.

Value by Sport
Based on the adoption of the above philosophy, the committee reinstated all sports in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship, along with Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly I-A) football, to full scoring values. This means that for all sports that meet the above criteria, first place is worth 100 points.
What exactly are you not understanding? A system that's completely equal across all sports, Iowa under Gary Barta usually finishes dead last. Are you seeking a list of regular season & tournament champions since the early 2000s? It doesn't exist, but the data is out there. Click on the link, then click on championships. It lists regular & tournament championships. You can sift through the data to see how bad we've been since Barta took over.

http://www.bigten.org/#

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
I understand there are good high school wrestlers that come from all over the country however the vast majority of college s that care about wrestling are in the midwest.
No matter how many times you write it, it is still false. Wrestling is HUGE on the east coast (not southeast) too. There were fans from all over the country at last week's national championships.

Originally posted by coffhawk:

. The SEC,Pac 12 and ACC could careless and the majority of teams in those conferences don't even have a wrestling program including some Big 12 schools.
So, that means that they care, right? You lose all credibility when you can't post that phrase correctly.
How would you like me to phrase it? No the SEC, Pac12 and ACC don't care about wrestling.

Only the B1G does.....
now is that better.... Only the facts here.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Serious question besides Football and Basketball, any other sport in the black when it comes to revenue?

I would quess maybe wrestling.

For Nebraska 3 sports are in the black when it comes to revenue making. wrestling cost Nebraska (2013-2014) -1,094,543

Also would like to know the answer to this question.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Not sure how accurate this site is or even for what year it is covering, but it should be a good baseline. It says for Year X, Iowa wrestling brought in $1.26 million in revenue and had $1.9 million in expenses, thus operating about $640,000 in the hole.

Link: http://college-sports.pointafter.com/q/4716/3448/How-much-profit-does-the-University-of-Iowa-Wrestling-team-in-Iowa-City-Iowa-make

This post was edited on 3/25 5:58 PM by Alum-Ni

ADVERTISEMENT