ADVERTISEMENT

Garza is a modern Kevin McHale

For those who don’t see any similarities, whom would you says is more like McHale than Garza?

Remember when Harold Minor was called Baby Jordan? Nobody thought he was Jordan. The guy could jump and had an array of pull up, athletic jumpers.

Garza has the left/right hooks, the flips, the pump fakes, the jump shot where he pulls the ball almost behind his head.

Garza is Baby McHale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
This board is way off. Garza played the pick and roll very well. It was Joe W that got exposed. They put him on the weak side knowing he wouldn’t help and recover. Then on the 2-3 zone they got it to the middle and when Garza came up. They would back door Joe W for a dunk. Then to hear this board brag up Joe’s T defense. He gambles way to much puts teammates in terrible spots. Then people look at Joe T’s rebounding stats as a good thing. But they discredit how many rebounds he gives up. Never even thinks about boxing out. Just runs to the ball. Very undisciplined, especially on offense. Would rather dribble through his legs 5 times then just make a simple on time pass. Always late, I love Joe T but he’s a selfish freshman at this point. Joe W was terrible Friday, almost unusable. But blame Garza cause he’s the last line of defense. Garza handed it to Teske on both ends. Iowa’s strategy was to hedge with Garza. Weak side guy has to have his head in the game. I would love to watch a game with some of you guys. Especially the ones that said Teske was the best defender in the Big Ten. I told you before the game he would get his ass handed to him.

I just watched the game finally.

Garza definitely did not do "well" on defense. His poor defense canceledout most of his offense. (Yes JW had a very poor game too.) And Fran had a stupid game plan IMO.

I have no clue why Fran had them hedging on Simpson in the first place. Would have been way better just sagging the primary defender off Simpson, go under the screen and dare him to shoot 3s. Especially if that defender is Bohannon.

Back to Garza, when he "hedges" on a screen it really accomplished nothing. Hes just going through the motions and not effecting the ball handler at all. The point of a hedge is to not allow the ball handler to hit the role man. If hes allowed to pass the ball to the man rolling to the rim you're screwed. Help no longer works there. Especially when that help is a guard.

The ball has to be forced backwards or atleast away from the rim to then allow the hedger to recover to his man.

If you force the ball away you also allow the corner man enough time to help and recover to his man because the pass to the corner isn't available either.

Same thing with the zone. When you go up to guard the ball at the free throw line you need to get tight and make the pass difficult. Teske was basically just standing there under no pressure and had all day to hit the back door passes.

Garzas capable of playing allot better defense, he did it in Las Vegas. Hes has to stop worrying so much about fouling and be more physicall.

I just watched the game finally.

Garza definitely did not do "well" on defense. His poor defense canceledout most of his offense. (Yes JW had a very poor game too.) And Fran had a stupid game plan IMO.

I have no clue why Fran had them hedging on Simpson in the first place. Would have been way better just sagging the primary defender off Simpson, go under the screen and dare him to shoot 3s. Especially if that defender is Bohannon.

Back to Garza, when he "hedges" on a screen it really accomplished nothing. Hes just going through the motions and not effecting the ball handler at all. The point of a hedge is to not allow the ball handler to hit the role man. If hes allowed to pass the ball to the man rolling to the rim you're screwed. Help no longer works there. Especially when that help is a guard.

The ball has to be forced backwards or atleast away from the rim to then allow the hedger to recover to his man.

If you force the ball away you also allow the corner man enough time to help and recover to his man because the pass to the corner isn't available either.

Same thing with the zone. When you go up to guard the ball at the free throw line you need to get tight and make the pass difficult. Teske was basically just standing there under no pressure and had all day to hit the back door passes.

Garzas capable of playing allot better defense, he did it in Las Vegas. Hes has to stop worrying so much about fouling and be more physicall.
Definitely agree with you on hedging on Simpson. He is mainly a driver and low outside threat. Garza's too slow to hedge. I would rather allow an outside semi contested jump shot than an uncontested dunk!

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT