ADVERTISEMENT

Gender-affirming care ban in ‘best interest’ of Iowa children, Gov. Kim Reynolds says

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Hey Kimmie, I thought you were all for parents' rights. Shouldn't it be up to parents what's in their kids' best interest? She's such a pathetic wingnut stooge:

Banning gender-affirming care for Iowans under the age of 18 is “in the best interest of the kids,” to whom her heart goes out, Gov. Kim Reynolds said Tuesday.

Reynolds also fired back at the proposed law’s critics, who she said remind her of the critics of her move to reopen Iowa’s schools and businesses earlier than some other states during the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reynolds discussed the proposed gender-affirming ban, which needs only her signature to become state law, and other topics during a news conference Tuesday at the Iowa Department of Public Safety.

Advertisement

It was Reynolds’ first formal news conference in eight months.

Reynolds scheduled the news conference, along with the state public safety department, to discuss a new state program for Iowans to anonymously report concerns about potential threat of school violence. She then fielded a handful of questions on other topics.

Republican state lawmakers have approved two pieces of legislation that they say will protect Iowa’s children and critics say put transgender children at risk.

One bill, Senate File 482, would prohibit transgender students in Iowa’s K-12 schools from using bathrooms that align with their gender identity.

The other, Senate File 538, would ban gender-affirming care — like hormone therapies, puberty blockers and cosmetic surgeries — for minors.

Both bills passed with only Republican support in the Iowa Legislatur, and await Reynolds’ signature. It is likely that both will face legal challenges from opponents if Reynolds signs them into law.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

The bills, Reynolds said, have not yet been delivered to her office.

Echoing arguments made by some Republican lawmakers during debate, Reynolds on Tuesday said she does not believe the science is settled on the long-term impacts of gender-affirming care.

All major American medical organizations — including the American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics and American Psychiatric Association — say gender-affirming care is safe and encourage it as a treatment for gender dysphoria, which is when an individual feels like they are a different gender than their birth gender.

Reynolds and other Republicans have pointed to studies and actions in some European countries. For example, the United Kingdom’s only center dedicated to gender identity treatment for children will close, and Sweden last year began restricting hormone therapy for minors.

Most medical studies show gender-affirming care is beneficial for young people experiencing gender dysphoria. Some have noted possible long-term effects and suggest more research is needed.

“We don’t even understand the long-term effects. … We don’t know,” Reynolds said Tuesday. “So I don’t think it’s too much to ask, to say I don’t know what the rush is when we don’t have science that’s conclusive.”

She said it reminded her of 2020, early in the COVID pandemic.

“It reminded me of, we’re standing here a couple of years ago during COVID when I had the medical profession and the media unleash on me because I had the gall of saying that our children should be back in a classroom and that masks should not mandated,” Reynolds said.

When asked what is her message to transgender youth and families who feel, in consultation with their physician, that gender-affirming care is right for them and helps them escape suicidal thoughts, Reynolds said her heart goes out to them.

“I’m a parent. I’m a grandmother. I know how difficult this is,” Reynolds said. “This is an extremely uncomfortable position for me to be in. And I don’t like it.

“But I have to do what I believe, right now, is in the best interest of the kids until we can have some more research done or we can see what’s happening in some of the other countries that have been doing this, to better understand the impact. I think that’s reasonable.”

Reactions: MitchLL and lucas80
Not in this case,.. This decision can only be made by the adult owner of the human body in question,.. Sorry, but this is too important a decision to be left to what are probably well meaning, but poorly informed, parents...
Then, why not listen to the experts in the field? If you have cancer would you go see an oncologist, or a mom in Linn-Mar who takes money from out of state PACs to make your decisions for you?

Hey Kimmie, I thought you were all for parents' rights. Shouldn't it be up to parents what's in their kids' best interest? She's such a pathetic wingnut stooge:

Banning gender-affirming care for Iowans under the age of 18 is “in the best interest of the kids,” to whom her heart goes out, Gov. Kim Reynolds said Tuesday.

Reynolds also fired back at the proposed law’s critics, who she said remind her of the critics of her move to reopen Iowa’s schools and businesses earlier than some other states during the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reynolds discussed the proposed gender-affirming ban, which needs only her signature to become state law, and other topics during a news conference Tuesday at the Iowa Department of Public Safety.

Advertisement

It was Reynolds’ first formal news conference in eight months.

Reynolds scheduled the news conference, along with the state public safety department, to discuss a new state program for Iowans to anonymously report concerns about potential threat of school violence. She then fielded a handful of questions on other topics.

Republican state lawmakers have approved two pieces of legislation that they say will protect Iowa’s children and critics say put transgender children at risk.

One bill, Senate File 482, would prohibit transgender students in Iowa’s K-12 schools from using bathrooms that align with their gender identity.

The other, Senate File 538, would ban gender-affirming care — like hormone therapies, puberty blockers and cosmetic surgeries — for minors.

Both bills passed with only Republican support in the Iowa Legislatur, and await Reynolds’ signature. It is likely that both will face legal challenges from opponents if Reynolds signs them into law.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

The bills, Reynolds said, have not yet been delivered to her office.

Echoing arguments made by some Republican lawmakers during debate, Reynolds on Tuesday said she does not believe the science is settled on the long-term impacts of gender-affirming care.

All major American medical organizations — including the American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics and American Psychiatric Association — say gender-affirming care is safe and encourage it as a treatment for gender dysphoria, which is when an individual feels like they are a different gender than their birth gender.

Reynolds and other Republicans have pointed to studies and actions in some European countries. For example, the United Kingdom’s only center dedicated to gender identity treatment for children will close, and Sweden last year began restricting hormone therapy for minors.

Most medical studies show gender-affirming care is beneficial for young people experiencing gender dysphoria. Some have noted possible long-term effects and suggest more research is needed.

“We don’t even understand the long-term effects. … We don’t know,” Reynolds said Tuesday. “So I don’t think it’s too much to ask, to say I don’t know what the rush is when we don’t have science that’s conclusive.”

She said it reminded her of 2020, early in the COVID pandemic.

“It reminded me of, we’re standing here a couple of years ago during COVID when I had the medical profession and the media unleash on me because I had the gall of saying that our children should be back in a classroom and that masks should not mandated,” Reynolds said.

When asked what is her message to transgender youth and families who feel, in consultation with their physician, that gender-affirming care is right for them and helps them escape suicidal thoughts, Reynolds said her heart goes out to them.

“I’m a parent. I’m a grandmother. I know how difficult this is,” Reynolds said. “This is an extremely uncomfortable position for me to be in. And I don’t like it.

“But I have to do what I believe, right now, is in the best interest of the kids until we can have some more research done or we can see what’s happening in some of the other countries that have been doing this, to better understand the impact. I think that’s reasonable.”
Never ending hypocrisy.

Not in this case,.. This decision can only be made by the adult owner of the human body in question,.. Sorry, but this is too important a decision to be left to what are probably well meaning, but poorly informed, parents...
This kind of thinking is so beyond effed up. Parental rights unless we don't agree with them. Republicans are the worst. The bullshit they get worked about...instead of REAL issues that help the majority. Constant attacks on small groups of citizens. Bigots.

Why? "Oh the Republicans would listen in good faith if you weren't calling them stupid." You don't seriously believe that?
I was referring to the drama in the comment I was responding to as well as the fact that the trans thing blew up really quick and isn't exactly a well defined phenomenon -- so I don't think it makes sense to say we're going backwards there.

Parental rights reign supreme, until the Iowa GOP says they don't.

Professional medical experts are uniformly against this horrendous legislation, but Kim and the Iowa Statehouse Republicans think they're the smartest people in the room when it comes to any issue that they make mythical claims about. Fake moral posturing and empty concerns for others abounds now in their theocratic agenda and is their current MO.

There is absolutely no reason for laws of this nature, not one. Iowa lawmakers quite frankly want to punish LGBTQ people out of existence if possible.

Parental rights reign supreme, until the Iowa GOP says they don't.

Professional medical experts are uniformly against this horrendous legislation, but Kim and the Iowa Statehouse Republicans think they're the smartest people in the room when it comes to any issue that they make mythical claims about. Fake moral posturing and empty concerns for others abounds now in their theocratic agenda and is their current MO.

There is absolutely no reason for laws of this nature, not one. Iowa lawmakers quite frankly want to punish LGBTQ people out of existence if possible.
IMO, Iowa probably goes too far in flat out banning all hormones, etc, for those under 18. (although there is still the possibility this could be "correct" in the end)

If you take a look across much of northern Europe -- where treatment of trans begin -- they're making hormones, surgery and the like much tougher to get because there is real concern that this has become a social phenomenon and that we're unwittingly going to be harming kids over the long term.

So no, professional medical experts in the US don't necessarily have this right at all. We don't have good long term research, we have a dearth of quality research, and we aren't necessarily understanding what we're seeing with the phenomenon of trans kids in 2023.

Progress/activist left: Affirm what the kids tell you they are -- don't question them too much.
Northern Europe: Proceed with extreme caution, if proceeding at all.
Conservative states: Do not proceed unless 18+.

Reactions: Legs94
But pumping the breaks is a bad idea...

She self-diagnosed that she was a boy and believed transitioning would solve her mental health problems.

According to the suit, doctors at the Permanente Medical Group and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals rushed her on to cross-sex hormones and a double mastectomy without properly assessing her mental health problems.

Her evaluations lasted only 30 minutes and 75 minutes, records show.

Legal papers identify the carers as Susanne Watson, a psychologist in Oakland, San Francisco-based plastic surgeon Winnie Tong, and Lisa Taylor, a pediatric endocrinologist in Oakland.

They are accused of 'intentional, malicious, and oppressive concealment of important information and false representations' that saw Layla pushed into the procedures.

It's claimed they presented Layla Jane and her parents with a terrifying choice: 'Would you rather have a live son, or a dead daughter?' — language that echoes complaints from other detransitioners across the US.

'These are decisions I will have to live with for the rest of my life,' Layla said in a statement.

'I'm ready to join the growing group of detransitioners so that no other child has to go through the torment I went through at the hands of doctors I should have been able to trust.'

Layla speaks with a voice deeper than is usual for a young woman — which is understood to be the result of taking the male hormone testosterone for several years. She started to detransition at age 17.

IMO, Iowa probably goes too far in flat out banning all hormones, etc, for those under 18. (although there is still the possibility this could be "correct" in the end)

If you take a look across much of northern Europe -- where treatment of trans begin -- they're making hormones, surgery and the like much tougher to get because there is real concern that this has become a social phenomenon and that we're unwittingly going to be harming kids over the long term.

So no, professional medical experts in the US don't necessarily have this right at all. We don't have good long term research, we have a dearth of quality research, and we aren't necessarily understanding what we're seeing with the phenomenon of trans kids in 2023.

Progress/activist left: Affirm what the kids tell you they are -- don't question them too much.
I ddnt have a problem with making this harder -it SHOULD be .

but republicans seem to in favor of banning everything they dont like.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I ddnt have a problem with making this harder -it SHOULD be .

but republicans seem to in favor of banning everything they dont like.
I generally haven't favored much of their legislation of late... especially the way some of this "culture war" stuff is crafted.

That said, this feels like a condition where the "experts" aren't necessarily doing a very good job addressing a possible problem, and when nobody does anything, it allows the most extreme actors to take on the issue.

These conservative states at least have a point in their concerns surrounding this issue.

I feel like this is a pattern we've fallen into with the left. Too cowed by their progressive wing, they don't address certain issues like they should and effectively leave it up to repubs to make a move. (who are also all too often beholden to their extremist wing)

I generally haven't favored much of their legislation of late... especially the way some of this "culture war" stuff is crafted.

That said, this feels like a condition where the "experts" aren't necessarily doing a very good job addressing a possible problem, and when nobody does anything, it allows the most extreme actors to take on the issue.

These conservative states at least have a point in their concerns surrounding this issue.

I feel like this is a pattern we've fallen into with the left. Too cowed by their progressive wing, they don't address certain issues like they should and effectively leave it up to repubs to make a move. (who are also all too often beholden to their extremist wing)

I can understand that to some extent - this is a relatively new phenomenon, there’s not a ton of data about the long-term effects of gender affirming treatment; whether that’s just hormone therapy, actual surgery or anywhere in between.

Where I have the issue is that it’s being painted as though a kid goes thru the whole process in a matter of weeks or at most a few months, or that surgeries are common for teens. None of that is true.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I can understand that to some extent - this is a relatively new phenomenon, there’s not a ton of data about the long-term effects of gender affirming treatment; whether that’s just hormone therapy, actual surgery or anywhere in between.

Where I have the issue is that it’s being painted as though a kid goes thru the whole process in a matter of weeks or at most a few months, or that surgeries are common for teens. None of that is true.
There have been a number of instances cited where kids are prescribed hormones after a visit or two. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it doesn't sound like the process is always well considered and controlled -- it sounds like it varies depending on who you're dealing with.

The other big piece, that can't be understated here, is that the sort of patients we're seeing nowdays has changed compared to what the initial research was based on.

I like to take my advice from professionals in those areas where I lack expertise or a breadth of knowledge. Iowa lawmakers don't give two shits about listening to anyone outside of their echo chamber of self-righteousness. They use lies and exaggerations to persuade people to their side of the argument which is a morally bankrupt and deceitful practice.

Medical experts in the US maintain that gender affirming care of transgender kids leads to more positive outcomes for them, lower rates of suicide, self-harm and depression. And despite the lies being peddled by the Kim and her cronies, there is plenty of medical research that backs up that conclusion and stance.

Treatment recommendations by these professional medical organizations include social gender transitioning (living your gender publicly, using the appropriate pronouns, acknowledging your transsexuality) with an emphasis that care is age appropriate. Age dependent care includes restricting hormonal/puberty blockers until the trans child is actually experiencing puberty and should only be offered in cases where the teen is not ready to make decisions about their puberty at that time. Puberty blockers are reversible. Once teens have reached the age of 16 they can likely access gender affirming hormones and possible access to gender affirming surgery which is rare and many of these medical professionals recommend that surgery of this nature be restricted to top only (mastectomy). I understand the concern over surgeries, once done, reversibility is difficult if not impossible. None of these professional organizations seem to be pushing kids into genital surgery, I would argue they are quite conservative in that regard. These laws are just mean spirited, blunt legal instruments to beat the transgender population into submission and shame. So completely cruel and unnecessary.

Jason Rafferty, co-author of AAP’s policy statement on gender-affirming care and a pediatrician and psychiatrist at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Rhode Island. “The current research suggests that, rather than predicting or preventing who a child might become, it’s better to value them for who they are now—even at a young age,” Rafferty says.

“The gender-affirming approach is not some railroad of people to hormones and surgery,” Safer says. “It is talking and watching and being conservative.”

-Joshua Safer, executive director of the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery in New York City and co-author of the Endocrine Society’s guidelines.

I'm no expert in this area but when laws contradict the experts' recommendations it's likely a pretty good sign that the legislature got it wrong. Again.

If we’re talking about a 5 year old then IMO the issue is cloudy. There are kids in that age group who can seem to be fluid in what OUR ideas about boys/girls are supposed to be.
I wanted to be Roy Rogers until I was about 9. Why? Because I wanted to ride Trigger.
My son liked his Cabbage Patch Boy Doll when he was 7. Why? Cause all the kids had one.
My no pic Daughter was outstanding at sports. And she is still proud that she was the fastest KID at Field Day in 5th Grade. Outran the boys.
Let the little guys be. They’ll figure out who they are. And however that turns out you love your kid.

I like to take my advice from professionals in those areas where I lack expertise or a breadth of knowledge. Iowa lawmakers don't give two shits about listening to anyone outside of their echo chamber of self-righteousness. They use lies and exaggerations to persuade people to their side of the argument which is a morally bankrupt and deceitful practice.

Medical experts in the US maintain that gender affirming care of transgender kids leads to more positive outcomes for them, lower rates of suicide, self-harm and depression. And despite the lies being peddled by the Kim and her cronies, there is plenty of medical research that backs up that conclusion and stance.

Treatment recommendations by these professional medical organizations include social gender transitioning (living your gender publicly, using the appropriate pronouns, acknowledging your transsexuality) with an emphasis that care is age appropriate. Age dependent care includes restricting hormonal/puberty blockers until the trans child is actually experiencing puberty and should only be offered in cases where the teen is not ready to make decisions about their puberty at that time. Puberty blockers are reversible. Once teens have reached the age of 16 they can likely access gender affirming hormones and possible access to gender affirming surgery which is rare and many of these medical professionals recommend that surgery of this nature be restricted to top only (mastectomy). I understand the concern over surgeries, once done, reversibility is difficult if not impossible. None of these professional organizations seem to be pushing kids into genital surgery, I would argue they are quite conservative in that regard. These laws are just mean spirited, blunt legal instruments to beat the transgender population into submission and shame. So completely cruel and unnecessary.

Jason Rafferty, co-author of AAP’s policy statement on gender-affirming care and a pediatrician and psychiatrist at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Rhode Island. “The current research suggests that, rather than predicting or preventing who a child might become, it’s better to value them for who they are now—even at a young age,” Rafferty says.

“The gender-affirming approach is not some railroad of people to hormones and surgery,” Safer says. “It is talking and watching and being conservative.”

-Joshua Safer, executive director of the Mount Sinai Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery in New York City and co-author of the Endocrine Society’s guidelines.

I'm no expert in this area but when laws contradict the experts' recommendations it's likely a pretty good sign that the legislature got it wrong. Again.

I'm saying that the quality and meaningfulness of the research cited -- even in your article -- isn't necessarily good.

This isn't clear stuff.

If we’re talking about a 5 year old then IMO the issue is cloudy. There are kids in that age group who can seem to be fluid in what OUR ideas about boys/girls are supposed to be.
I wanted to be Roy Rogers until I was about 9. Why? Because I wanted to ride Trigger.
My son liked his Cabbage Patch Boy Doll when he was 7. Why? Cause all the kids had one.
My no pic Daughter was outstanding at sports. And she is still proud that she was the fastest KID at Field Day in 5th Grade. Outran the boys.
Let the little guys be. They’ll figure out who they are. And however that turns out you love your kid.
We're not.

Affirming care is an umbrella term. The items quoted here aren't being legislated against, to my knowledge, by anyone. Other items, like access to hormones or surgery, are.

Some of the conservative care apparently is giving hormones to a kid after a few visits.

Your “child” is really almost an adult, right?
If your family supports their decision you don’t have to answer to anyone. It’s no one else’s business.
This is absolutely how it should be, but these Trans hate bills will put an end to this.
This is a medical decision, between the patient, their Doctors, and the family. Not the ****ing State legislatures or the ****ing Governor.

As for my own child, they are 18, still considered a minor in Nebraska, have been on gender affirming hormones for nearly a year.

This journey began several years ago, it has involved multiple Medical professionals, and counselors. It originated with extreme mood swings involving their cycle. It involved self harm in the form of cutting. They were struggling with depression, anxiety, insomnia, and gender dysphoria.

The first step was to treat the depression, anxiety insomnia, and mood swings. The last step in the process was the gender dysphoria. They were 4 years into treatment before the Doctors/ Physiatrist even approached it and it required visits to a second Physiatrist and another Medical Doctor. These hate bill will stop this process.

As far as I'm concerned these Legislators and Governors should be charged with practicing medicine without a license.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT