ADVERTISEMENT

Geno- Come again about Buekers??

Geno made a mistake by going all-in on Bueckers over Clark ..who desperately wanted an offer to play at UCONN. Bueckers IS a very good player and a better defender but Clark is a one-of-kind offensive force.

It worked out well for Clark. It is extremely unlikely that Geno would have allowed Clark the type of shooting and play making freedom that CC has enjoyed under Bluder.

I think we're being a little too sensitive about this. Bueckers isn't as good as Clark but she's still one of the best in the country. What coach isn't going to say their player is the best?
I posted before that it’s kind of an ahole move by Geno. He’s had decades of accolades for his program and players. Suddenly a kid who he was too dumb to offer becomes incredible, takes attention away from his team and he can’t handle it. Just shut up Geno and let Iowa have a moment for once.

I posted before that it’s kind of an ahole move by Geno. He’s had decades of accolades for his program and players. Suddenly a kid who he was too dumb to offer becomes incredible, takes attention away from his team and he can’t handle it. Just shut up Geno and let Iowa have a moment for once.
Not a great thing to do to his own player either. People defending him say he is her coach so of course he would say that have it backwards. Because he is her coach he should have kept his yap shut. He put that pressure on her right now during the tournament. Just stupid.

If only Geno were as smart as you.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSC72 and LinusPF
If Paige stayed healthy, we might be having a serious debate right now. She's an outstanding player. One of the best. But staying healthy is part of the equation, despite largely being out of the individual's control. And she hasn't been able to do it.

It's the same reason Gale Sayers is considered ONE OF the best running backs ever, but isn't held in the same esteem as Payton, Brown, Sanders, Smith et. al.

Not even sure she better defensively, it’s hard to tell. Caitlin has to be on the floor,she can’t get into foul trouble. She has to be very selective on defense.
This is one criticism that I always kind of shrug at because I really do think it is a strategic choice. If someone challenged Clark to improve her defensive skills, there is no doubt in my mind that she would become a great defender. In fact, I expect you will see this at the WNBA level as it will be less critical for her to not foul out.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
It's amazing how hung up Iowa fans get over people's comments on CC.
Probably because coaches like Geno can't handle another team actually being successful. He has had his pick of the best so his team should win a lot. Very much like Duke in men's basketball. Geno - let Iowa and CC have our moment of fame and enjoyment.

Last edited:
If Paige stayed healthy, we might be having a serious debate right now. She's an outstanding player. One of the best. But staying healthy is part of the equation, despite largely being out of the individual's control. And she hasn't been able to do it.

It's the same reason Gale Sayers is considered ONE OF the best running backs ever, but isn't held in the same esteem as Payton, Brown, Sanders, Smith et. al.
If Paige were healthy for the last two years I imagine most of the media would say she is better. Of course, she was surrounded by superior talent which in my mind actually makes Clark a better player because of how she has been able to elevate the play of everyone else on her team. Could Paige do that? Maybe, but she really didn't have to.

She was every bit the recruit Caitlin was coming out of HS but injuries sat her back a minute but those are the breaks.

Next year everyone can say she isn't as good as all the other black players.

I think we're being a little too sensitive about this. Bueckers isn't as good as Clark but she's still one of the best in the country. What coach isn't going to say their player is the best?
Agreed, BUT he said she is CLEARLY the best, and there was no denying it. Thats exactly what he said. Obviously, its NOT clear, and he was obviously taking a shot at Clark, which just shows what a small man he is.

Geno made that comment, then Staley made some comment backing him up….it seems like these coaches that have had great success and incredible resources are just frickin Petty….their egos just won’t let them acknowledge the new kid on the block (CC & Iowa) are really good and in CC’s case….the hands down best women’s player in the history of the game.

Geno made that comment, then Staley made some comment backing him up….it seems like these coaches that have had great success and incredible resources are just frickin Petty….their egos just won’t let them acknowledge the new kid on the block (CC & Iowa) are really good and in CC’s case….the hands down best women’s player in the history of the game.
They do seem to fight hard to keep the membership in their club small ..f'em.

Like someone mentioned above, 50 years from now one of those two players will still be remembered. Unfortunately for Geno, but fortunately for us, it's not his.

If he was smart, at his next presser he would suck it up and just put all this to bed, admit CC is the best in the game right now, say it loud and with conviction...

wEqYs_.gif

Few years ago Geno made a comment about male coaches of women.s teams=. How they are overlooked or something similar.

What coach isn't going to say their player is the best?

A classy one like Lisa Bluder. Coach Bluder may shower CC with praise and celebrate her accomplishments, but I've never heard her make some unnecessary definitive statement to the press about CC being clearly the best based on analytics, and there are plenty of numbers that would support such a claim. Maybe I'm wrong and I just haven't heard it. Who the best is will always be subject to people's opinions. I can't see Lisa making some unecessary statement of "fact" like that.

It's amazing how hung up Iowa fans get over people's comments on CC.
CC is at the center of women’s bball right now and she is being marketed heavily and hence she should see a lot of comments coming her way. Both pro and con. However what Auriemma said was fairly pointed and over the top. It really stood out as he has 11 national titles and he should be way above talking like that. Hard to see what his motivation was because in the end it puts a ton of pressure and focus on his own player.

Yep. Old money doesn’t like new money.

They do seem to fight hard to keep the membership in their club small ..f'em.

Like someone mentioned above, 50 years from now one of those two players will still be remembered. Unfortunately for Geno, but fortunately for us, it's not his.

If he was smart, at his next presser he would suck it up and just put all this to bed, admit CC is the best in the game right now, say it loud and with conviction...

wEqYs_.gif
I'm not even sure it's as much about keeping the club small as it is a quality program running out of the Midwest. It narrows their recruiting sphere...well, maybe UConn. I'm not sure if Staley does much recruiting in the Midwest.

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT