ADVERTISEMENT

George W. Bush: Immigration is a defining asset of the United States. Here’s how to restore confidence in our system.

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
George W. Bush was the 43rd president of the United States.
Next week, I’m proud to publish a new collection of my paintings, entitled “Out of Many, One.” The book may not set the art world stirring — hopefully, the critics won’t call it “One Too Many.”
I set out to accomplish two things: to share some portraits of immigrants, each with a remarkable story I try to tell, and to humanize the debate on immigration and reform.
I hope that these faces, and the stories that accompany them, serve as a reminder that immigration isn’t just a part of our heritage. New Americans are just as much a force for good now, with their energy, idealism and love of country, as they have always been.
ADVERTISING
I write about a champion runner who barely survived ethnic violence in East Africa, and who told me, “America has given me everything I dreamed of as a boy.” I share the story of a young man from France who followed his dream to become an American soldier, and went on to earn the Medal of Honor. And readers may recognize two distinguished citizens who fled prewar Europe as children, and who each became U.S. secretary of state.
A portrait of Army Capt. Florent Groberg by former president George W. Bush. Born in France, Groberg received a Medal of Honor in 2015. (George W. Bush)
The backgrounds are varied, but readers won’t have to search hard for a common theme. It’s gratitude. So many immigrants are filled with appreciation, a spirit nicely summed up by a Cuban American friend who said: “If I live for a hundred years, I could never repay what this country has done for me.”
The help and respect historically accorded to new arrivals is one reason so many people still aspire and wait to become Americans. So how is it that in a country more generous to new arrivals than any other, immigration policy is the source of so much rancor and ill will? The short answer is that the issue has been exploited in ways that do little credit to either party. And no proposal on immigration will have credibility without confidence that our laws are carried out consistently and in good faith.
“Out of Many, One” is not a brief for any specific set of policies, which I leave to the political leaders of today. However, the book — along with the George W. Bush Presidential Center — does set forth principles for reform that can restore the people’s confidence in an immigration system that serves both our values and our interests.
One place to start is DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). Americans who favor a path to citizenship for those brought here as children, known as "dreamers," are not advocating open borders. They just recognize that young men and women who grew up in the United States, and who never knew any other place as home, are fundamentally American. And they ought not be punished for choices made by their parents.
Another opportunity for agreement is the border. I have long said that we can be both a lawful and a welcoming nation at the same time. We need a secure and efficient border, and we should apply all the necessary resources — manpower, physical barriers, advanced technology, streamlined and efficient ports of entry, and a robust legal immigration system — to assure it.
Portrait of NBA player Dirk Nowitzki, born in Germany. (George W. Bush)
Portrait of Roya Mahboob, an entrepreneur born in Afghanistan. (George W. Bush)
Effective border management starts well beyond the border, so we must work with our neighbors to help them build freedom and opportunity so their citizens can thrive at home. We cannot rely on enforcement alone to prevent the untenable and so often heartbreaking scenes that come with large-scale migration.
We also need a modernized asylum system that provides humanitarian support and appropriate legal channels for refugees to pursue their cases in a timely manner. The rules for asylum should be reformed by Congress to guard against unmerited entry and reserve that vital status for its intended recipients.
Increased legal immigration, focused on employment and skills, is also a choice that both parties should be able to get behind. The United States is better off when talented people bring their ideas and aspirations here. We could also improve our temporary entry program, so that seasonal and other short-term jobs can more readily be filled by guest workers who help our economy, support their families and then return home.
As for the millions of undocumented men and women currently living in the United States, a grant of amnesty would be fundamentally unfair to those who came legally or are still waiting their turn to become citizens. But undocumented immigrants should be brought out of the shadows through a gradual process in which legal residency and citizenship must be earned, as for anyone else applying for the privilege. Requirements should include proof of work history, payment of a fine and back taxes, English proficiency and knowledge of U.S. history and civics, and a clean background check. We should never forget that the desire to live in the United States — a worldwide and as powerful an aspiration as ever — is an affirmation of our country and what we stand for. Over the years, our instincts have always tended toward fairness and generosity. The reward has been generations of grateful, hard-working, self-reliant, patriotic Americans who came here by choice.
If we trust those instincts in the current debate, then bipartisan reform is possible. And we will again see immigration for what it is: not a problem and source of discord, but a great and defining asset of the United States.

I'm old enough to remember when Republicans respected a former president. Now he's a beta cuck for thinking immigration is important to America, and that allowing in refugees represents the highest ideals of this nation. Now it's all hatred and white nationalism at the GOP.

So the left's most hated man on the right, until Trump came along, is now a hero.

You guys are something.
shows how crazy the right has gone.

For the record, i always thought W thought he what he was doing had the best intentions and truly cared about the country, but had bad people in his ear and pulling the strings

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
shows how crazy the right has gone.

For the record, i always thought W thought he what he was doing had the best intentions and truly cared about the country, but had bad people in his ear and pulling the strings

So blame others instead of the guy in charge. How convenient.

Blame for what?
Handling of COVID and inciting a domestic terrorist attack on the capital for starters

Did you blame anything on Trump or was everything he did good in your world?
Citations please

so thats a “no” from Northern that he does not put any blame or criticize Trump for anything since he went pretty quiet after quickly responding to my other posts itt.

I will also add to my list: using the national gaurd to tear gas protesters so he could hold a bible for a photo op

George W. Bush was the 43rd president of the United States.
Next week, I’m proud to publish a new collection of my paintings, entitled “Out of Many, One.” The book may not set the art world stirring — hopefully, the critics won’t call it “One Too Many.”
I set out to accomplish two things: to share some portraits of immigrants, each with a remarkable story I try to tell, and to humanize the debate on immigration and reform.
I hope that these faces, and the stories that accompany them, serve as a reminder that immigration isn’t just a part of our heritage. New Americans are just as much a force for good now, with their energy, idealism and love of country, as they have always been.
ADVERTISING
I write about a champion runner who barely survived ethnic violence in East Africa, and who told me, “America has given me everything I dreamed of as a boy.” I share the story of a young man from France who followed his dream to become an American soldier, and went on to earn the Medal of Honor. And readers may recognize two distinguished citizens who fled prewar Europe as children, and who each became U.S. secretary of state.
A portrait of Army Capt. Florent Groberg by former president George W. Bush. Born in France, Groberg received a Medal of Honor in 2015. (George W. Bush)
The backgrounds are varied, but readers won’t have to search hard for a common theme. It’s gratitude. So many immigrants are filled with appreciation, a spirit nicely summed up by a Cuban American friend who said: “If I live for a hundred years, I could never repay what this country has done for me.”
The help and respect historically accorded to new arrivals is one reason so many people still aspire and wait to become Americans. So how is it that in a country more generous to new arrivals than any other, immigration policy is the source of so much rancor and ill will? The short answer is that the issue has been exploited in ways that do little credit to either party. And no proposal on immigration will have credibility without confidence that our laws are carried out consistently and in good faith.
“Out of Many, One” is not a brief for any specific set of policies, which I leave to the political leaders of today. However, the book — along with the George W. Bush Presidential Center — does set forth principles for reform that can restore the people’s confidence in an immigration system that serves both our values and our interests.
One place to start is DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). Americans who favor a path to citizenship for those brought here as children, known as "dreamers," are not advocating open borders. They just recognize that young men and women who grew up in the United States, and who never knew any other place as home, are fundamentally American. And they ought not be punished for choices made by their parents.
Another opportunity for agreement is the border. I have long said that we can be both a lawful and a welcoming nation at the same time. We need a secure and efficient border, and we should apply all the necessary resources — manpower, physical barriers, advanced technology, streamlined and efficient ports of entry, and a robust legal immigration system — to assure it.
Portrait of NBA player Dirk Nowitzki, born in Germany. (George W. Bush)
Portrait of Roya Mahboob, an entrepreneur born in Afghanistan. (George W. Bush)
Effective border management starts well beyond the border, so we must work with our neighbors to help them build freedom and opportunity so their citizens can thrive at home. We cannot rely on enforcement alone to prevent the untenable and so often heartbreaking scenes that come with large-scale migration.
We also need a modernized asylum system that provides humanitarian support and appropriate legal channels for refugees to pursue their cases in a timely manner. The rules for asylum should be reformed by Congress to guard against unmerited entry and reserve that vital status for its intended recipients.
Increased legal immigration, focused on employment and skills, is also a choice that both parties should be able to get behind. The United States is better off when talented people bring their ideas and aspirations here. We could also improve our temporary entry program, so that seasonal and other short-term jobs can more readily be filled by guest workers who help our economy, support their families and then return home.
As for the millions of undocumented men and women currently living in the United States, a grant of amnesty would be fundamentally unfair to those who came legally or are still waiting their turn to become citizens. But undocumented immigrants should be brought out of the shadows through a gradual process in which legal residency and citizenship must be earned, as for anyone else applying for the privilege. Requirements should include proof of work history, payment of a fine and back taxes, English proficiency and knowledge of U.S. history and civics, and a clean background check. We should never forget that the desire to live in the United States — a worldwide and as powerful an aspiration as ever — is an affirmation of our country and what we stand for. Over the years, our instincts have always tended toward fairness and generosity. The reward has been generations of grateful, hard-working, self-reliant, patriotic Americans who came here by choice.
If we trust those instincts in the current debate, then bipartisan reform is possible. And we will again see immigration for what it is: not a problem and source of discord, but a great and defining asset of the United States.

RINO

Reactions: cigaretteman
So the left's most hated man on the right, until Trump came along, is now a hero.

You guys are something.

Now they care what a low-IQ war criminal has to say about compassionate immigration policy. Funny stuff.

You guys are something.

That's the difference between you and I. I take everything on a case by case basis no matter the side of the aisle. You automatically think that everything your club does/says is great, and never give credit to the other side when they do something positive. You're part of a cult and follow whatever your cult tells you to believe. You are what many on your side would describe as, a "sheep".

That's the difference between you and I. I take everything on a case by case basis no matter the side of the aisle. You automatically think that everything your club does/says is great, and never give credit to the other side when they do something positive. You're part of a cult and follow whatever your cult tells you to believe. You are what many on your side would describe as, a "sheep".
This is false.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheelbybirth
This is false.
Since you once again active, do you confirm that you thought there was nothing that you could criticize or blame Trump for?

Im guessing your silence after my inquiry means that there isn’t which confirms my original statement of not wanting to hear anything from you regarding blame

Since you once again active, do you confirm that you thought there was nothing that you could criticize or blame Trump for?

Im guessing your silence after my inquiry means that there isn’t which confirms my original statement of not wanting to hear anything from you regarding blame

Trump messed up some things.

And if you think I'm all in with everything the Republican Party does, you'd be wrong.

You guys are something.

He lied us into a war where several thousand have died and over 20,000 injured, many maimed for life over WMDs that never existed and you cannot figure out why, lol

He lied us into a war where several thousand have died and over 20,000 injured, many maimed for life over WMDs that never existed and you cannot figure out why, lol

I'm not a fan of Bush or that war. I'm not a fan of 99% of military action. Not sure why your keying in on this.

In fact you just proved my point. The left hated him, but now they hold him in high regard because of his stance on immigration. Such short memories.

I'm not a fan of Bush or that war. I'm not a fan of 99% of military action. Not sure why your keying in on this.

In fact you just proved my point. The left hated him, but now they hold him in high regard because of his stance on immigration. Such short memories.
applauding his stance or press release on immigration is a far cry from holding him in high regard. W was and is a useful idiot but at least he has empathy and compassion and isn't shameless like the modern day GQP.

applauding his stance or press release on immigration is a far cry from holding him in high regard. W was and is a useful idiot but at least he has empathy and compassion and isn't shameless like the modern day GQP.

If he had empathy and compassion, he wouldn't have sent off American sons, daughters, dads, moms, brothers and sisters to die half way across the world.

You sure think you know what other people think and feel but you obviously have no clue.

You guys are something.

Yeah, that is far stranger than the party that “supports the troops” supporting the presidential bid of a former POW/retired officer, then a few years later worshiping a guy who commented about him “he’s no hero. He’s only called a hero because he got captured. I like guys who DON’T get captured.”

Yeah, that is far stranger than the party that “supports the troops” supporting the presidential bid of a former POW/retired officer, then a few years later worshiping a guy who commented about him “he’s no hero. He’s only called a hero because he got captured. I like guys who DON’T get captured.”

it "doesn't take a lot of talent to get shot down"

It’s a shame that Romney’s timing was so poor on running for president. Had he and McCain been the last two Rs instead of Trump and GWB, conservatism would still be alive instead of the GQP.

If Trump come out and said the same thing I would agree with him and nobody dislikes Trump any more than I do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT