ADVERTISEMENT

Get over the portal!

hawkisoaker

HR MVP
Aug 5, 2011
Yall think just bc there’s a portal we need to go play the game. It’s like a new phone comes out and you go waste your dough on it when the one you have is as good or proven better.

We don’t need much from the portal this yr as of now.

OFF-
RB -Sounds like KJ is back so we’re set at RB with the other sticking around. No need.

WR - we are as legit as we’ve ever been. Brown is a flat out stud, top level guy. Pay him, keep him happy. No one has 4 or 5 like him on one team, keep him, feed him.
Maybe find 1 big body possession guy and a special teams top end speed guy, but in the end we have some talent that has yet to see the field. If Bostick can stay healthy he’s legit, was going to play as a frosh but got hurt. Wetjen is fast and can play a part.

TE - no need at all. Lachey, All, Oste etc

OL- plenty deep another yr of growth w good young talent. You’re not going to get some stud that can walk in and easily beat out what we have. Look for 1 big LT that’s about it.

DEF-

spend the $$ on a DT & CBs, but if we get most back like it sounds we’re set. There are a couple young Dline ready to step in, trust me.

This is not a big portal yr as we sit, find the right OC, pay and keep the guys we have, and we go to the 12 next yr!

All is not coming back. He has a newborn and looking at turning his attention to the draft and getting paid.

Reactions: littlez
Yall think just bc there’s a portal we need to go play the game. It’s like a new phone comes out and you go waste your dough on it when the one you have is as good or proven better.

OFF-
RB -Sounds like KJ is back so we’re set at RB with the other sticking around. No need.

WR - we are as legit as we’ve ever been. Brown is a flat out stud, top level guy. Pay him, keep him happy. No one has 4 or 5 like him on one team, keep him, feed him.
Maybe find 1 big body possession guy and a special teams top end speed guy, but in the end we have some talent that has yet to see the field. If Bostick can stay healthy he’s legit, was going to play as a frosh but got hurt. Wetjen is fast and can play a part.

OL- plenty deep another yr of growth w good young talent. You’re not going to get some stud that can walk in and easily beat out what we have. Look for 1 big LT that’s about it.

DEF-

spend the $$ on a DT & CBs, but if we get most back like it sounds we’re set. There are a couple young Dline ready to step in, trust me.

This is not a big portal yr as we sit, find the right OC, pay and keep the guys we have, and we go to the 12 next yr!
Lowest ranked offense needs no new additions because everyone we have is good? Got it. 🤨🙄

OP...

Tom Hanks Dipshit GIF

Seven states, led by Ohio AG Dave Yost, have filed a federal antitrust lawsuit today challenging the NCAA’s transfer eligibility rule. If an injunction were granted, it would prevent NCAA from denying waivers for immediate eligibility by multi-time transfer athletes.

OFF-

DEF-

Damn. How can one be so dumb.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12

OFF-

DEF-

OK FINE WE'LL GET OVER THE PORTAL!!!!!!!

We have 64 guys on scholarship and 20 incoming freshman. We have 8 guys who could come back in Lee, Castro, DeJong, Higgins, Schulte, All, Harris, and Fisher and Jackson could file for a waiver for another year due to tragedy at Virginia in 2022.

Until he know where we stand with these guys and possibly early entries in CDJ and Lachey, I'm guessing iowa is going to be pretty patient in the portal. I highly doubt we see Iowa pull in as many guys as last year but we will see.

Reactions: Wadzinator
We have 64 guys on scholarship and 20 incoming freshman. We have 8 guys who could come back in Lee, Castro, DeJong, Higgins, Schulte, All, Harris, and Fisher and Jackson could file for a waiver for another year due to tragedy at Virginia in 2022.

Until he know where we stand with these guys and possibly early entries in CDJ and Lachey, I'm guessing iowa is going to be pretty patient in the portal. I highly doubt we see Iowa pull in as many guys as last year but we will see.
Getting a few of those key guys to stay could be far more valuable than the vast majority of players we could pick up from the portal.

OLine was garabge last year but yeah lets keep going with those guys NOT working
Did u even watch the games? They definitely improved and will gain weight, strength and execution with another yr. Our failure is more about the time our QB took to get the ball in the air and when you can’t do that then DEF can load up on the run. We way over performed running based on the circumstances. Imagine a DEF having to defend our pass also. It all works together not separately like the stat book.

• Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three
Almost a 100% guarantee you are going to LOSE players to the portal every year going forward.

So if you don't try to get players from the portal you are just going to lose from it.

Not a great idea Coach Soaker.
It’s fluid yr to yr, no reason just to do it. Especially a program
Like Iowa that will not be able to compete for all the best options, so spend the $$ on keeping those who are already great on your team so you can develop the rest.

So you start a thread about not using the portal and then name 2-3 positions we should pay money for in the portal? You also state that we are as "legit as we've ever been" at WR. Pretty low bar don't you think?
I said we don’t need to go get 1/2 a damn team in the portal like some of you think. We maybe need 1 or 2 anything else is a bonus. It was in contrast to some on here listing 10-15.

Lowest ranked offense needs no new additions because everyone we have is good? Got it. 🤨🙄
Lowest ranked OFF was missing most of their best 6 players throughout the year including their QB not being healthy the entire year. Do that to Bama and I bet they suffer greatly also. KF put together a great opportunistic OFF thru the portal and current players… injuries ended that, he can’t control that, get a clue.

• Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three

Wow one person in here has a clue of who’s on our team, our #s etc …and is reasonable. Tks gojo

OFF-

DEF-

Uh… I wouldn’t say our WR room is legit. And our OL has experienced players who aren’t getting better.

So yeah - we should continue to look hard at the portal …

Uh… I wouldn’t say our WR room is legit. And our OL has experienced players who aren’t getting better.

So yeah - we should continue to look hard at the portal …
I said Brown is legit, top quality wr, not the entire room. But, Brown backed by a healthy Bostick l and Seth getting some better looks we’d be ok. Like I said maybe add 1 big possession guy would help.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I said Brown is legit, top quality wr, not the entire room. But, Brown backed by a healthy Bostick l and Seth getting some better looks we’d be ok. Like I said maybe add 1 big possession guy would help.
Really like Brown … I think adding 2 WRs for portal would be beneficial … guys who can step in and are physically developed …

Reactions: hawkisoaker
I like Brown too. He's an actual playmaker. You say healthy Bostick but that's been an oxymoron. Seth Anderson is the only other wide receiver on the team that's caught a ball. There are others on the team but none have proven that they are more than a checkmark for "there's a wide receiver that will come here". That's one injury away from offensive disaster again.

Reactions: littlez
I like Brown too. He's an actual playmaker. You say healthy Bostick but that's been an oxymoron. Seth Anderson is the only other wide receiver on the team that's caught a ball. There are others on the team but none have proven that they are more than a checkmark for "there's a wide receiver that will come here". That's one injury away from offensive disaster again.
Unfortunately that’s Iowa fball, and many others. U have one or two true studs on OFF and if you lose them you lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT