ADVERTISEMENT

Getting around in Italy

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We are headed out to Italy soon. We have a large group consisting of 11 people. We have some day trips planned and have transportation lined up, but it seems preposterously expensive. For those of you who have gone, what services have you used and is it simply super expensive there?

“Services” as in public transportation or tour guides? Or hiring Italian coeds to get naked and rub olive oil all over your body?
Services in like Uber/Lyft/taxis/etc. Although, I might see if the family wouldn't mind me getting an olive oil massage. We have the basics covered in terms of taking trains from one city to another. It is the getting around once we're there angle, especially on the Amalfi Coast.

Services in like Uber/Lyft/taxis/etc. Although, I might see if the family wouldn't mind me getting an olive oil massage. We have the basics covered in terms of taking trains from one city to another. It is the getting around once we're there angle, especially on the Amalfi Coast.
For Amalfi Coast I'd recommend using the ferries when weather is good to get to different areas/towns. From there Ubers or taxis.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yeah, not sure.

In my experience, Italian taxi drivers are hit or miss. Mostly miss. You have to tell them where you want to go and they’ll decide whether they want to take you there before you can get in. Trying to coordinate multiple taxis for a large group might be tough. Then they’ll claim the credit card reader is broken and they only take cash.

Uber probably a lot better.

“Services” as in public transportation or tour guides? Or hiring Italian coeds to get naked and rub olive oil all over your body?
Shark Tank Writing GIF

Yeah, not sure.

In my experience, Italian taxi drivers are hit or miss. Mostly miss. You have to tell them where you want to go and they’ll decide whether they want to take you there before you can get in. Trying to coordinate multiple taxis for a large group might be tough. Then they’ll claim the credit card reader is broken and they only take cash.

Uber probably a lot better.
I think Uber, as we know it, is illegal there. At least in Rome.

I was at Amalfi last year, and a buddy was there six months ago. My reactions:

1. Don't drive yourself, it's just too terrifying.
2. For day trips, the ferry system really is a pretty easy way to get from town to town, though it can be a bit of a cluster**** at the pier and if it's stinking hot and you have young kids, they will whine.
3. My buddy just hired a driver (family of 5) for the week, and was very satisfied that he did.

I am on my way to the airport & will be in Italy tomorrow. Planning to use public transport as much as possible - bus, train, ferry.
Flying into Naples, then to Amalfi Coast, a few days on Capri, then back to Naples.

I was at Amalfi last year, and a buddy was there six months ago. My reactions:

1. Don't drive yourself, it's just too terrifying.
2. For day trips, the ferry system really is a pretty easy way to get from town to town, though it can be a bit of a cluster**** at the pier and if it's stinking hot and you have young kids, they will whine.
3. My buddy just hired a driver (family of 5) for the week, and was very satisfied that he did.
Oh we're not driving, and I know no one got rich taking a trip to Italy, but it is just a little shocking.

I am on my way to the airport & will be in Italy tomorrow. Planning to use public transport as much as possible - bus, train, ferry.
Flying into Naples, then to Amalfi Coast, a few days on Capri, then back to Naples.
At one point, we're taking the train from Rome to Salerno. The van from Salerno to the villa is 100 euros per van - that's okay. A van for half us for the day trip from the Maiori area to our boat going to Capri, and then back, is 700 euros. So 1,400 euros for the group for the day. For Pompei, the math is 600 per van, or 1200 total. Just from the villa by Maiori to Positano and back is 300 per van. Is this normal?

@HawkeyeShawn would like you to enjoy your trip to the 3rd World Country known as Italy. Don't be crying to him you bring back Malaria!

When my wife and I have traveled in Europe, we always try to force ourselves to use public transportation if at all possible. It forces us to interact more with the locals and makes us feel less like tourists in an unknown land. It can be done in most circumstances, but you must plan ahead and invest some time and thought in the process.

I found this for you, I hope it can at least save you a few shekels on your upcoming trip.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/amalfi-coast-travel-public-transport

We used train system. It was wonderful. Subway in Rome was very easy to use. Be VERY aware of pickpockets on subway. You have probably heard that but take some security precautions and you will be fine. We took train from Rome to Florence and from Florence to Venice. Took a day trip from Florence to Pisa and used train. It was very convenient.

At one point, we're taking the train from Rome to Salerno. The van from Salerno to the villa is 100 euros per van - that's okay. A van for half us for the day trip from the Maiori area to our boat going to Capri, and then back, is 700 euros. So 1,400 euros for the group for the day. For Pompei, the math is 600 per van, or 1200 total. Just from the villa by Maiori to Positano and back is 300 per van. Is this normal?
Dunno if normal but it’s crazy. Take the ferry.

Also in maiori (where we stayed) if you do one thing, eat at ristorante pineta 1903

We went last summer. We just took the train. It was pretty cheap, super convenient, and fast.

We went last summer. We just took the train. It was pretty cheap, super convenient, and fast.
Yes, we are taking the train from city to city. Well, major city to major city, and within major cities. It is once you're not in a major city that we are dealing with.

Reactions: Torg and DogBoyRy
I’m heading there next week with 18 family members. We ran into the same issues outlined above, no Uber, hired vans/buses were insanely expensive. We ended up renting 4 Audi Q3’s that we are using to drive from Rome to Tuscany and all over Tuscany as we are staying on a winery in the countryside so needed transport at all times. In Rome we are just using public transit and taxis.

Fwiw, other than the amalfi coast part, the drive from maiori to Pompeii is not too bad.

Sounds like fun @Tenacious E Wife really wants to go there some day. Being the Nordski that I am, I want to venture further north.

Get your currency ratio worked out. From what I have experienced in foreign countries, they always love dollars vs. the local currency

Plus, as a HROT legend, you must post pics of the nude beaches

Yes, we are taking the train from city to city. Well, major city to major city, and within major cities. It is once you're not in a major city that we are dealing with.
If you’re traveling major city to major city and its a longer ride consider upgrading to the executive car.

Florence, Rome, and Amalfi coast.
Florence - highly recommend dining at ZaZas for the $$. Assume you’re doing david tour. If so hit the music museum on the side. If time do the plaza area up on the hill that overlooks the city first thing.
If you need a winery recommendation outside the city let me know.

You doing sorrento?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT