ADVERTISEMENT

Getting around in Italy

Had a pasta cooking class in a Tuscan villa today. View was okay off the balcony in the back.

XSuCBfp.jpeg

This pic from the same location highlights all of the jasmine growing the window/balcony - the smell was as awesome as the view, especially combined with the pasta and bruschetta being cooked and consumed with some nice wine. Not too shabby...

Last edited:
Beautiful, but where is the hand?
I will make sure to work my hand into a shot of either the coliseum or Vatican in the next day or two. Florence leg is over so on to Rome. Super intense high stress first leg but super memorable and mostly super awesome. Also, don’t break into my house while I’m gone and fuq in the pool.

If by chance you end up renting a car at all... watch the speed limits. Friend of ours was getting speeding tickets for a month after getting back from renting a car in Italy. Speed cameras.

I will make sure to work my hand into a shot of either the coliseum or Vatican in the next day or two. Florence leg is over so on to Rome. Super intense high stress first leg but super memorable and mostly super awesome. Also, don’t break into my house while I’m gone and fuq in the pool.

Shoot, I didn't even think about it. I"m going to pool hop after work tomorrow.

I was at Amalfi last year, and a buddy was there six months ago. My reactions:

1. Don't drive yourself, it's just too terrifying.
2. For day trips, the ferry system really is a pretty easy way to get from town to town, though it can be a bit of a cluster**** at the pier and if it's stinking hot and you have young kids, they will whine.
3. My buddy just hired a driver (family of 5) for the week, and was very satisfied that he did.
In Florence I saw some of the craziest shit. Super narrow streets. Many BARELY wide enough for 2 cars. Yet, vespas and dinky motorcycles pass on the left shooting the gap between two cars approaching each other in opposite directions. Our cab driver in Rome today was a combination of Mario kart Wario and the mad hatter. Madness.

Last edited:
The road from Amalfi to Rafelo is worse. Multiple times vehicles had to back up to allow a car from other direction. The bus was so packed, bouncing from side to side standing.
The catacombs in Amalfi church are phenomenal. There were 4 different restaurants in Positano that are in my top 10 every, but all but 1 was pricey. The other was family style about a mile above town.
Path of Gods hiking trail above Positano is great.
Ferries were great, just try to avoid last one of the day.

Is it Disney World crowded there? We were there this time last year and didn't feel like it was overwhelmingly crowded. Even in Rome. But I keep seeing people posting that it's crazy.

Reactions: Tenacious E
In Florence I saw some of the craziest shit. Super narrow streets. Many BARELY wide enough for 2 cars. Yet, vespas and dinky motorcycles pass on the left shooting the gap between two cars approaching each other in opposite directions. Our cab driver in Rome today was a combination of Wario and the mad hatter. Madness.
My cab ride in Rome is one of the things I remember the most. It was unreal. I have no idea how we didn't hit anyone.

Last summer dad toured the Vatican. He did not walk through it, he flowed in shoulder to shoulder traffic with the crowd.
Everything I’ve read and experienced personally says avoid Italy in Summer for crowds. We’ve always done fall/spring and had manageable people.

In Florence I saw some of the craziest shit. Super narrow streets. Many BARELY wide enough for 2 cars. Yet, vespas and dinky motorcycles pass on the left shooting the gap between two cars approaching each other in opposite directions. Our cab driver in Rome today was a combination of Mario kart Wario and the mad hatter. Madness.

Theres an expression, doppio passaggio. Means double pass. If the guy in front of you isn't passing fast enough, you go Slim Shady and round em on the outside. God I love driving in Italy. It's such an adventure, organized chaos.

• Wow
Reactions: Torg
Did a boat tour around Capri today; the scenery with the cliffs plunging into the water is spectacular.
If you do the full loop around on the yellow line boat, a couple of tips....
Get a seat on the port (left) side of the boat. It travels clockwise around the island, so on the left you have a constant view of the cliffs. On the right, you either twist around awkwardly, or you stare at the open sea.

Sunscreen and a hat..the boats have no over, no shade.

They have a cooler of beer & soda, price was as good or better than most places on shoee. reasonable

Did a boat tour around Capri today; the scenery with the cliffs plunging into the water is spectacular.
If you do the full loop around on the yellow line boat, a couple of tips....
Get a seat on the port (left) side of the boat. It travels clockwise around the island, so on the left you have a constant view of the cliffs. On the right, you either twist around awkwardly, or you stare at the open sea.

Sunscreen and a hat..the boats have no over, no shade.

They have a cooler of beer & soda, price was as good or better than most places on shoee. reasonable
i always think of myself as a "captive" rather than as a "passenger" on a boat.

Now that I have settled in on Capri, I must say it is amazingly beautiful. $till expensive, but truly incredible & I would not skip it.
Today did the blue grotto and then the chairlift from Anacapri to the top of Monte Salerno, stunning views.

• Love
Now that I have settled in on Capri, I must say it is amazingly beautiful. $till expensive, but truly incredible & I would not skip it.
Today did the blue grotto and then the chairlift from Anacapri to the top of Monte Salerno, stunning views.
Don’t let the haters shame us!

Don’t let the haters shame us!

So where are you now? Tonight is our last night on Capri, then headed tomorrow for a few days in Napoli before heading back home to start double-charging people to pay for this venture.
Anyone know if I can write off this shit on my taxes? Need a guarantee while still under the influence of limoncello

I prefer Sicily over capri. Just sayin.

So where are you now? Tonight is our last night on Capri, then headed tomorrow for a few days in Napoli before heading back home to start double-charging people to pay for this venture.
Anyone know if I can write off this shit on my taxes? Need a guarantee while still under the influence of limoncello
Rome. Take a train to Salerno tomorrow and a taxi to just outside Māori.

Assume you are closer to Maori than Minori?
We spent an afternoon in Maori after hiking the lemon trail from Minori (where we were staying). Really enjoyed both of those towns. Not nearly as crowded as Amalfi or Positano.
If you decide to bus to Revello, take the bus (or ferry) all the way to Amalfi, and get the bus up to Revello from there. There is a stop at Bevio Revello when travelling from Maori/Minori - Do NOT exit there, because bus is always full leaving Amalfi and never stops to pick up pax at the fork since there is no room.
Hope you enjoy. We only had a lunch in Maiori so cannot suggest any restaurants.

Just curious. Do you hear any talk or is there any excitement of the Italian lady reaching the finals of the French Open?
Jasmine Paolini. She is just a little gal. 5’3”
And about 110 lbs.
Finals are tomorrow.

Assume you are closer to Maori than Minori?
We spent an afternoon in Maori after hiking the lemon trail from Minori (where we were staying). Really enjoyed both of those towns. Not nearly as crowded as Amalfi or Positano.
If you decide to bus to Revello, take the bus (or ferry) all the way to Amalfi, and get the bus up to Revello from there. There is a stop at Bevio Revello when travelling from Maori/Minori - Do NOT exit there, because bus is always full leaving Amalfi and never stops to pick up pax at the fork since there is no room.
Hope you enjoy. We only had a lunch in Maiori so cannot suggest any restaurants.
1.5 km south if Māori.

Just curious. Do you hear any talk or is there any excitement of the Italian lady reaching the finals of the French Open?
Jasmine Paolini. She is just a little gal. 5’3”
And about 110 lbs.
Finals are tomorrow.
No, but 85% of the people I’m around are tourists. Actually had some Caitlin Clark talk in Florence with people who know her family.

Reactions: Torg
Ah, I was in the academia museum in Florence today looking at the statue of David when someone gave me a “Go Hawks”. I wondered if it was you, but we are just slightly off in our itineraries apparently.

I actually thought about doing a hand pic in front of David, but trying to explain to our 18 person group about GIAOT felt like too much work.

Ah, I was in the academia museum in Florence today looking at the statue of David when someone gave me a “Go Hawks”. I wondered if it was you, but we are just slightly off in our itineraries apparently.

I actually thought about doing a hand pic in front of David, but trying to explain to our 18 person group about GIAOT felt like too much work.
Did you make it to the back area where the music museum is?

• Love
Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Yes that was awesome. Two Stradivarius violins, crazy old harpsichords, etc. It was my favorite part of the museum. I had seen David in there on a prior visit but didn’t realize the music part even existed on my first visit.
Ditto.
Our tour guide told us about it so we checked it out. I found it amazing.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT