ADVERTISEMENT

Getting around in Italy

I'm letting you know.
I’ll give my opinion.
Bellevue Syrene is probably the nicest hotel i’ve ever stayed at. Even if you can’t afford to stay there go for lunch.
La Tonneralla (sp) hotel is also nice. We had friends stay there. The restaurant there is also good.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’ll give my opinion.
Bellevue Syrene is probably the nicest hotel i’ve ever stayed at. Even if you can’t afford to stay there go for lunch.
La Tonneralla (sp) hotel is also nice. We had friends stay there. The restaurant there is also good.
Thanks! We have a highly rated place that is right on the square as of today. I was more concerned about location than the amenities as we aren't planning on being in any hotel for anything other than sleep. If the location is convenient to what we are doing we'll check out the place for lunch.

Near maiori. We are renting a house about 1km away.

We've been staying in Minori, the town next to Maiori; tonight is our last night here, headed to Capri tomorrow.
Love Minori, and enjoyed the part of a day we spent in Maiori. Spent part of another day in Amalfi, which is a bit too crowded for my liking. Rented a boat for one day & cruised the coast, seeing everything from the ocean. Anchored off Positano for a few hours, had lunch, then slowly worked our way back to Minori.
Local transit is a crapshoot. The ferry has been fine,though a bit chaotic. The busses are mobbed. Tried to go to Revello via bus today but they were so crowded you could not get on. Ended up making our way back to Minori and hanging at the beach.
It is quite beautiful here, and not outrageously expensive for food & drink...no real differen e in cost from eating out in the States.

We are on the first leg of the trip. Flew into Rome. Had quite the misadventure getting to termini. Made it to Florence last night. I was shocked at the amount of graffiti in Rome and all the way to Florence from the view on the train. Did a mega guided tour today and the history is amazing. I don’t think I would ever get used to the “sidewalks”. It is charming but but living here would drive me insane, unless I was rich AF. I was also surprised by some graffiti in Florence saying “go home yankee. F$ck usa”. I am ready to wrap Florence up and get to Rome and then the Amalfi coast. Csb.
Yeah, Rome was the worst for graffiti. Seemed like anything below about 7 foot tall was covered unless it was a historical landmark.

We only had two weeks. As it is we are jam f$cking packed. Not sure how we could do 4 cities, although we are doing day trips to capri, positano, and Pompeii.
tip - if you find yourself running out of gas, just skip capri. sure it's beautiful, but it's mobbed, and most people are there to shop. the grotto is not what you would call a private experience.

We've been staying in Minori, the town next to Maiori; tonight is our last night here, headed to Capri tomorrow.
Love Minori, and enjoyed the part of a day we spent in Maiori. Spent part of another day in Amalfi, which is a bit too crowded for my liking. Rented a boat for one day & cruised the coast, seeing everything from the ocean. Anchored off Positano for a few hours, had lunch, then slowly worked our way back to Minori.
Local transit is a crapshoot. The ferry has been fine,though a bit chaotic. The busses are mobbed. Tried to go to Revello via bus today but they were so crowded you could not get on. Ended up making our way back to Minori and hanging at the beach.
It is quite beautiful here, and not outrageously expensive for food & drink...no real differen e in cost from eating out in the States.
did you get the carlo mansi store limoncello?

Reactions: SeaPA
Thanks! We have a highly rated place that is right on the square as of today. I was more concerned about location than the amenities as we aren't planning on being in any hotel for anything other than sleep. If the location is convenient to what we are doing we'll check out the place for lunch.
We stayed at the Palazzo Tasso which is few blocks from the square and right on the pedestrian mall. Within walking distance of everything.

We booked everything through a service, so I don't know the cost, and it looks like our online itinerary has been removed, so I'll have to go from memory. I'll come back to this thread when I have a little more time.

Reactions: jonesy5960
Another update. Florence grew on me tremendously tonight. The prosciutto, fresh burrata, fresh garlic, and other items on the app was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a pretty good margin. My steak was good, but my wife and daughter both had a simple pasta dish with fresh cheese and it was the best pasta I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a petty good margin. Wow wow wow. Csb.

Last edited:
Another update. Florence grew on me tremendously tonight. The prosciutto, fresh buffalo mozz, fresh garlic, and other items on the app was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a pretty good margin. My steak was good, but my wife and daughter both had a simple pasta dish with fresh cheese and it was the best pasta I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a petty good margin. Wow wow wow. Csb.

Damn it, I skipped breakfast and lunch.....now I'm super hungry.

Another update. Florence grew on me tremendously tonight. The prosciutto, fresh buffalo mozz, fresh garlic, and other items on the app was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a pretty good margin. My steak was good, but my wife and daughter both had a simple pasta dish with fresh cheese and it was the best pasta I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a petty good margin. Wow wow wow. Csb.

The Carbonara will make you spooge in your undies

Another update. Florence grew on me tremendously tonight. The prosciutto, fresh burrata, fresh garlic, and other items on the app was the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a pretty good margin. My steak was good, but my wife and daughter both had a simple pasta dish with fresh cheese and it was the best pasta I’ve ever eaten in my life. By a petty good margin. Wow wow wow. Csb.

Nice. Doing any touring out in the countryside?

Question. We are a group of 11. My in-laws are in rome and we are meeting them tomorrow. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost their passports. My MIL is early in the Alzheimer’s stages and my FIL is holding down the fort as best he can. I thought it was a mistake for them to come and here we are. It is incredibly unfortunate because the 9 of us will be rejoining them tomorrow in rome. I assume we need to get them to a consulate? Advice?

Question. We are a group of 11. My in-laws are in rome and we are meeting them tomorrow. Unfortunately, they seem to have lost their passports. My MIL is early in the Alzheimer’s stages and my FIL is holding down the fort as best he can. I thought it was a mistake for them to come and here we are. It is incredibly unfortunate because the 9 of us will be rejoining them tomorrow in rome. I assume we need to get them to a consulate? Advice?
Did you make copies or take pics of them?

its funny my immediate response to florence was underwhelming too.

also funny one of my best friends is in Sicily right now. i'm doing a lot of vicarious living through pics

Love Florence.
You hit the Michelangelo plaza on the hill overlooking the city?

Reactions: funksouljon
@Tenacious E Keep notes on what my wife should/shouldn't do when we make the trip sometime. Got two left to graduate and I need to build up my vacation time, so probably won't be for a few years.
I’ll give her some notes tomorrow along with some other things if you know what i mean.

Ooof. Hope this gets resolved easily and quickly for y’all.

Traveled through most of the country by train and a large BMW passenger van (local guide/transport). The train wasn't prohibitively expensive from what I can recall and was rather nice. The vehicles/personal drivers were pricey though.

Left Minori this morning, now in AnaCapri. Holy $hit it i$ expen$ive here. Meals are damn near double what they were in Minori, and so far the quality has been far lower.

• Sad
Left Minori this morning, now in AnaCapri. Holy $hit it i$ expen$ive here. Meals are damn near double what they were in Minori, and so far the quality has been far lower.
yyyyyep.

BTW, if you're still in the region, pick up a small bottle of Colatura d'alici (a special local anchovy oil from Cetera). They make it by just filling a barrel with a tiny hole in the bottom with anchovies and salt, and putting weight on the top until they're just crushed into liquid over about 30 days. it is not fishy, and is fantastic for just adding 'savory' to dishes. A simple pasta, tossed with just a bit of this stuff and bread crumbs, is a great accompaniment.

• Love
yyyyyep.

BTW, if you're still in the region, pick up a small bottle of Colatura d'alici (a special local anchovy oil from Cetera). They make it by just filling a barrel with a tiny hole in the bottom with anchovies and salt, and putting weight on the top until they're just crushed into liquid over about 30 days. it is not fishy, and is fantastic for just adding 'savory' to dishes. A simple pasta, tossed with just a bit of this stuff and bread crumbs, is a great accompaniment.

I will look for it. In Anacapri for two more days then to Naples for a few.

yyyyyep.

Mental Health Thank You GIF by Hello All

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT