ADVERTISEMENT

Gilman v Fix

Exo

HR MVP
Mar 6, 2013
PNW
This justifies it's own thread.

IMO: The big Fix moves, E.G. inside trip, trap gut, etc will be much harder to come by on Gilman. Gilman was un-turnable at worlds last year after he was taken down. Gilman and Ramos are both stingy af and Fix still had success on Tony which is of some concern.

I'll take Gilman 4-2, 1-5, 5-4.

Fix is a mother******* though so TG will need his top game. Thoughts?

Reactions: Wrassler17

IMO: The big Fix moves, E.G. inside trip, trap gut, etc will be much harder to come by on Gilman. Gilman was un-turnable at worlds last year after he was taken down. Gilman and Ramos are both stingy af and Fix still had success on Tony which is of some concern.

I'd like this matchup more in a tourney situation. Going to be a tough match for Gilman if he stays on defense...Fix will pick him apart. He needs to make it physical and keep his hands on him. As for Gilman not getting turned, hope he has been training with Lee because there are not very many in the U.S. that can match fix in Par Terre. If I had to bet the house, I would say Gilman but I would have heart attack pills on hand and the movers phone numbers close at hand.

Before today, Gilman in two matches. After today,Fix wins it somehow. Kid is a horse. Still think a healthy Spencer Lee beat em both. Micic handled Fix a few years ago. Maybe not today.

I'm so pumped for Spencer to get his chance to wrestle both. I think if he's healthy he beats both by more than 1 take down. Gilman will have trouble with Fix's athleticism but I hope he open ups his offense and uses his strength to his advantage. Nervous that fix will beat him after watching that lost Fix vs Ramos match numerous times.

Reactions: Wink8
Fix looks huge compared to his competition @ 57. I don't know how he stays down there and keeps his energy. But Gilman is strong as hell, and I think he keeps the belt this time. I wouldn't be surprised if wins this but Thomas is still the favorite in my eyes.

I'd like this matchup more in a tourney situation. Going to be a tough match for Gilman if he stays on defense...Fix will pick him apart. He needs to make it physical and keep his hands on him. As for Gilman not getting turned, hope he has been training with Lee because there are not very many in the U.S. that can match fix in Par Terre. If I had to bet the house, I would say Gilman but I would have heart attack pills on hand and the movers phone numbers close at hand.

What in the world would make you even think this? If you are trying to make some of the worst wrestling takes in history you are doing a good job.
At a certain point, you start cutting muscle and become weaker with the weight loss. Just look at how Lee handled Thomosello who took third at 33 a few years ago. Fix and Lee are full bodied 57 lber. Plus they are young. A summer of pizza,fries, and a few burgers and brats, and you can say bye bye to 25. If not that, than a sorority girlfriend will do the trick. Just don’t see those two at 25. Same as Minnesota kid and Rutgers kid moving up to 33. Suriano.

Fix looks huge compared to his competition @ 57. I don't know how he stays down there and keeps his energy. But Gilman is strong as hell, and I think he keeps the belt this time. I wouldn't be surprised if wins this but Thomas is still the favorite in my eyes.
I agree. Ramos was a 33 in college and he looked really small compared to Fix. Hard to beleive Fix will make 125 this fall with 1 hr weigh-ins.
Gilmans length may help him against Fix as well as his strength.
Ramos just looked outgunned in every way. Gilman will be ready.

At a certain point, you start cutting muscle and become weaker with the weight loss. Just look at how Lee handled Thomosello who took third at 33 a few years ago. Fix and Lee are full bodied 57 lber. Plus they are young. A summer of pizza,fries, and a few burgers and brats, and you can say bye bye to 25. If not that, than a sorority girlfriend will do the trick. Just don’t see those two at 25. Same as Minnesota kid and Rutgers kid moving up to 33. Suriano.
opinionated.gif

Ramos was able to beat Fix in Vegas a month ago, so Fix is definitely beatable. I think Gilman needs to make it physical and latch on to Fix. Hopefully we'll see some blood on the mat.

I agree. Ramos was a 33 in college and he looked really small compared to Fix. Hard to beleive Fix will make 125 this fall with 1 hr weigh-ins.

Ramos was generally considered a small 33 with McD holding the spot at 125 for 3 years, but regardless I agree, Fix looked much bigger than Tony.

Reactions: Huck

College wrestlers move up to avoid the grind of making weight every Friday & Sunday throughout the season. With international wrestling, you only need to make the weight a few times a year. That's why you see guys like Ramos, Zane Richards and others drop down from 133 to 57 kg, even at the risk of losing some strength.

Daton and Spencer have been dreaming of gold medals since they were kids. Pizza, burgers, and sorority girls will not let them lose focus. One of them might move up to 61 kg during the non Olympic years (Daton would be more likely), but come 2020 and 2024, it's either 57 kg or 65 kg. Same with the new 79 kg and 92 kg classes, we'll see a lot of guys move around.

Anyone know Fix's height? Wish more teams posted height on their roster like Iowa does.

Lee is not a big 125. He will not hit a big growth spurt. These kids are not you and I...wrestlers of old. They spend their whole summer training and living the life. Sure...do they go in for treats every once in awhile? yes. But they have so much more information and education than we did back then. Daton will go up because he is just bigger...same with Suriano. They got this way by lifting, eating good protein etc. Lee's parents are small people. If anything, he needs to put on weight and get bigger for the international guys and for maybe a Daton. I imagine that is how he is going to spend his summer.

If Gilman is aggressive on his offense he wins. If he gets passive and defensive he loses, period. When TG is on the attack he's better than anyone at the weight and he can control the match.

Reactions: HawkeyeInKC
Thomas has to be loving the tone of Fix being favored. He was a huge underdog last year going into trials and made it through that gauntlet and was not favored at all at Worlds, but still walked away with the Silver. Going back to his time at Iowa, he seemed to relish the underdog role and wrestled more aggressive. When he has been the hunted, he seems to be a more defensive wrestler. Hopefully, Fix getting the pub will get him into the hunter mind set.

Gilman has to keep his hands on Fix. If Fix is able to create space and generate some scrambles he's at a huge advantage, IMO. Here's how I think it plays out:

Match 1: Gilman works his heavy hands and controls the ties, 1-0 Gilman after a passivity point. Then, late in period 2 Fix gets his own passivity point and also gets a little too aggressive on a late shot leading to a Gilman TD.....TG 3-1

Match 2: Gilman again controls ties early and keeps his feet busy enough to earn a couple push-out points for a 2-0 lead after 1 period. Then, after exchanging shots and some action, late in period 2 Fix finally breaks through for a takedown with a nice shrug.... Fix 2-2

Match 3: Fix comes out firing and grabs an early TD and turn for a 4-0 lead. Gilman returns fire and earns his own TD and turn to tie it up at the break 4-4. Period two is very slow and Gilman gets the win on a pushout.... TG 5-4

Takeaways: The young studs (i.e. Lee, Hall, Fix, Z Valencia, Steveson) all appear to be about a year away.

Reactions: Exo
I think we all know this is Spencer’s weight class for the next Olympics. Gilman won’t be able to hang with Lee. My thoughts are Gilman and NATO are on the same level. Fix is above both those guys,and Lee is above em all.

And Gilman is like 7-1 against Nato...Nato has never beaten him in freestyle. But other than that, totally on the same level.

Ya fix is a beast but we can’t discount The machine.. World silver, not shabby. I’m going GIlman all day
This. I'd urge everyone to live in the moment with TG. Yeah, Spencer is coming but Gilman is pretty special in his own right. Can't wait for this matchup. Plus, I'll be in Budapest for worlds and really want Gilman there as well!

Gilman has to keep his hands on Fix. If Fix is able to create space and generate some scrambles he's at a huge advantage, IMO. Here's how I think it plays out:

Match 1: Gilman works his heavy hands and controls the ties, 1-0 Gilman after a passivity point. Then, late in period 2 Fix gets his own passivity point and also gets a little too aggressive on a late shot leading to a Gilman TD.....TG 3-1

Match 2: Gilman again controls ties early and keeps his feet busy enough to earn a couple push-out points for a 2-0 lead after 1 period. Then, after exchanging shots and some action, late in period 2 Fix finally breaks through for a takedown with a nice shrug.... Fix 2-2

Match 3: Fix comes out firing and grabs an early TD and turn for a 4-0 lead. Gilman returns fire and earns his own TD and turn to tie it up at the break 4-4. Period two is very slow and Gilman gets the win on a pushout.... TG 5-4

Takeaways: The young studs (i.e. Lee, Hall, Fix, Z Valencia, Steveson) all appear to be about a year away.

LOL The only take away is that you actually believe you just laid out the action for three upcoming matches?

Nato has beaten Gilman more times in folk than Gilman has beaten him. It is very close.

Nope...Gilman beat him in a dual and NATO beat him at B1Gs in 2015. The next year, Gilman pinned him in the Semi Finals at NCAAs. That is it. Plus, Gilman beat him at Jr Open and swept him at Junior trials. Plus, beat him last year at Senior Trials. So yea...total of 7-1.

Nope...Gilman beat him in a dual and NATO beat him at B1Gs in 2015. The next year, Gilman pinned him in the Semi Finals at NCAAs. That is it. Plus, Gilman beat him at Jr Open and swept him at Junior trials. Plus, beat him last year at Senior Trials. So yea...total of 7-1.

Oh stop with all that math and those facts. That proves nothing. o_O

Chief, you are always a good source. Didn't Nato win Big 10 all 4 years (3 at 125 - 2 with Gilman in the bracket - Mega beat him)? Remember also that I was only referring to folkstyle match-ups as I had stated.

Reactions: IAChief32
Chief, you are always a good source. Didn't Nato win Big 10 all 4 years (3 at 125 - 2 with Gilman in the bracket - Mega beat him)? Remember also that I was only referring to folkstyle match-ups as I had stated.

You are correct sir. Nico beat Gilman in the semis than lost to NATO but Gilman and Nico met in the finals at NCAA in 2016. Gilman had NATO's number, Nico had Gilman's, Nato had Nico's...vicious freaking circle eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: texas twister
I wish I could find the clip....

At the World's when Fix and Lee both won, Lee came back for his win and it was an epic performance. There was a "locker room" video after where the coaches were praising Spencer. In the background, you can see Fix "with a look".

First off, I am not calling Fix jealous or mean spirited or anything of the sort.

But I have seen that look before. It was the look of a guy who knows THAT person (Lee) is the man standing between him and his goals.

He has that same look now... a man possessed. Like others have said, I agree Fix v Gilman depends on which Gilman shows up. Sometimes he has a chip on his shoulder, sometimes he doesn't. If he approaches this match as an underdog, it could be epic.

I wish I could find the clip....

At the World's when Fix and Lee both won, Lee came back for his win and it was an epic performance. There was a "locker room" video after where the coaches were praising Spencer. In the background, you can see Fix "with a look".

First off, I am not calling Fix jealous or mean spirited or anything of the sort.

But I have seen that look before. It was the look of a guy who knows THAT person (Lee) is the man standing between him and his goals.

He has that same look now... a man possessed. Like others have said, I agree Fix v Gilman depends on which Gilman shows up. Sometimes he has a chip on his shoulder, sometimes he doesn't. If he approaches this match as an underdog, it could be epic.

I don't think I've ever seen Gilman without a chip on his shoulder TBH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT