ADVERTISEMENT

Article: Projected IOWA Starting Lineup & Depth Chart for 2023-24

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
My thoughts:

* A 10 player rotation is listed below. All 200 minutes are accounted for.

* Ladji Dembele is not listed; he will be seeing some minutes, imo. From player accounts, he rebounds everything, which is an obvious need. From what's listed below, I would trim 4 min from PMac, 2 from Pryce, 2 from Even and 2 from Owen to give Ladji 10 minutes. It will be interesting to see if his minutes grow as the season progresses.

* For the 1st game of the Europe trip, the starters included Dasonte Bowen, Tony Perkins, Payton Sandfort & Ben Krikke. PMac would have been the 5th starter had he been there.

* This author has an interesting starter at PG, as you will see.

The story:

Iowa Basketball: Projected Starting Lineup and Depth Chart for 2023-24

by Jerran Anderson
Sep 24, 2023

Point Guard​

Starter – Josh Dix (25 mpg)​

Josh Dix is a returning name who should grow a ton leading the Iowa offense in 2023-24. He averaged 2.0 ppg on 40 percent shooting from deep across 31 appearances for the Hawkeyes as a freshman. He’s shown he can knock down shots on the perimeter and can take care of the basketball in limited minutes in his debut season.

Now, he’ll have a bigger task on his hands in running the offense at the starting point guard role for Iowa entering his sophomore season. He’ll have competition behind though, in Brock Harding. After 6-foot-5, he’s a big guard who can defend both guard roles given his length. He did well in their exhibition tour back in August and led the backcourt with 16 assists across three victories.

Bench – Brock Harding (15 mpg)​

Brock Harding is a freshman name who should see some early playing time at the backup point guard role. He’s another name who impressed in their tour back in August, showing he could knock down shots on the perimeter and get to the paint with ease against international competition. He dished out 10 assists and knocked down six 3-pointers across their three victories. He’ll be looked upon to provide some depth in the backcourt this season.

Shooting Guard​

Starter – Tony Perkins (30 mpg)​

Tony Perkins is a returning name who should be one of their leaders in the backcourt given his prowess for filling up the stat sheet on both ends of the floor. He’s a 6-foot-4 guard who should set quite the tone in the Hawkeyes backcourt with his defensive prowess. He put up 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.8 apg and 1.4 spg across 32 appearances, all starts, in 2022-23 as he continues to develop in their system.

He’s got All-Conference potential heading into a new season after finishing sixth in steals (46) in the Big Ten this past season. He should take some of the pressure off Dix with his ability to create off the bounce and get to the free-throw line. He finished 14th in the conference in free throws made this past year.

Bench – Dasonte Bowen (10 mpg)​

Dasonte Bowen is another returning reserve who should continue to grow in the Hawkeyes’ backcourt at the backup shooting guard role. He heads into Year 2 after producing 3.1 ppg and 1.0 apg on 36.4 percent shooting from deep across 26 appearances in 2022-23. He’s another self-creator at the off-guard spot who should turn some heads with his development as a sophomore. He’ll compete for minutes while learning from Perkins at the starting role.

Small Forward/Wing​

Starter – Patrick McCaffery (28 mpg)​

Patrick Mcaffery is a returner with experience given his move from starter to coveted reserve in 2022-23. He started in the first 14 games of the year before coming off the bench for the final 13 games of the season, averaging 9.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg and 1.0 apg on 34.3 percent shooting from deep and 40.9 percent shooting from the floor.

He’ll be looked upon to play a vital role in the Hawkeyes’ success with increased production in 2023-24. He’s a wiry forward prospect at 6-foot-9 who can create matchup problems for others given his length and ability to operate at either forward spot. He’ll be another returner looked upon to lead this Iowa group this upcoming year alongside Perkins.

Bench – Pryce Sandfort (12 mpg)​

Pryce Sandfort, younger brother of Payton, is another young name who showed he could compete for early minutes following their exhibition tour this past August. He knocked down seven 3-pointers and averaged 9.0 ppg and 3.3 rpg across their three victories, showing he can operate on the perimeter as a threat and rebound the ball when it’s not in his hands. He’ll be looked upon to provide support at the backup small forward/wing role with his length and abilities at 6-foot-6.

Power Forward​

Starter – Payton Sandfort (28 mpg)​

Payton Sandfort is another returner who should play a big role in the Hawkeyes’ success this season. He showed good strides in Iowa’s exhibition tour this past August, averaging 19.0 ppg and 11.0 rpg and knocking down a team-high 12 3-pointers across their three wins.

He was last year’s Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year for Iowa after posting 10.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg and 1.5 apg on 34.3 percent shooting from deep across 33 appearances and just seven starts in 2022-23. He went off for 22 points on six made 3-pointers back on Feb. 25 in a win over Michigan State. With starter minutes, He seems poised to break out in more ways than one as a presence in the Big Ten ranks this year.

Bench – Even Brauns (12 mpg)​

Even Brauns joins the conference after spending the past three seasons with Belmont in the MVC and formerly of the OVC. He put up 7.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 bpg and 1.2 apg in 2022-23. He finished second in the MVC in blocks (42) and ninth in offensive rebounds (60). He’s a two-way paint presence who should provide support in a variety of ways for the Hawkeyes’ frontcourt given his production in the painted area.

Center​

Starter – Ben Krikke (25 mpg)​

Ben Krikke joins the Iowa lineup after spending the past four seasons in the MVC with Valparaiso. He’s developed quite nicely as a paint presence after averaging 19.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg and 2.1 apg on 55.2 percent shooting from the floor in 2022-23.

Krikke held his own in the painted area against international competition this past August in their exhibition tour, producing 16.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg and 1.0 bpg. He’s a 6-foot-9 paint presence who should turn heads with his addition to the Hawkeyes’ rotation out of the MVC. He led the conference in shooting percentage, field goals made (244) and finished eighth in offensive rebounds (63).

Bench – Owen Freeman (15 mpg)​

Owen Freeman is another newcomer in the Hawkeyes 2023 recruiting class who should make an instant impact given his production in their overseas tour. He’s a 6-foot-11 big man with a bright future ahead of him in the Big Ten and in the Iowa frontcourt.

Reactions: iabcuda
My thoughts:

* Ladji Dembele is not listed; he will be seeing some minutes, imo. From player accounts, he rebounds everything, which is an obvious need. From what's listed below, I would trim 4 min from PMac, 2 from Pryce, 2 from Even and 2 from Owen to give Ladji 10 minutes. It will be interesting to see if his minutes grow as the season progresses.

* For the 1st game of the Europe trip, the starters included Dasonte Bowen, Tony Perkins, Payton Sandfort & Ben Krikke. PMac would have been the 5th starter had he been there.

The story:

by Jerran Anderson
Sep 24, 2023

Point Guard​

Josh Dix is a returning name who should grow a ton leading the Iowa offense in 2023-24. He averaged 2.0 ppg on 40 percent shooting from deep across 31 appearances for the Hawkeyes as a freshman. He’s shown he can knock down shots on the perimeter and can take care of the basketball in limited minutes in his debut season.

Now, he’ll have a bigger task on his hands in running the offense at the starting point guard role for Iowa entering his sophomore season. He’ll have competition behind though, in Brock Harding. After 6-foot-5, he’s a big guard who can defend both guard roles given his length. He did well in their exhibition tour back in August and led the backcourt with 16 assists across three victories.

Brock Harding is a freshman name who should see some early playing time at the backup point guard role. He’s another name who impressed in their tour back in August, showing he could knock down shots on the perimeter and get to the paint with ease against international competition. He dished out 10 assists and knocked down six 3-pointers across their three victories. He’ll be looked upon to provide some depth in the backcourt this season.

Shooting Guard​

Tony Perkins is a returning name who should be one of their leaders in the backcourt given his prowess for filling up the stat sheet on both ends of the floor. He’s a 6-foot-4 guard who should set quite the tone in the Hawkeyes backcourt with his defensive prowess. He put up 12.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.8 apg and 1.4 spg across 32 appearances, all starts, in 2022-23 as he continues to develop in their system.

He’s got All-Conference potential heading into a new season after finishing sixth in steals (46) in the Big Ten this past season. He should take some of the pressure off Dix with his ability to create off the bounce and get to the free-throw line. He finished 14th in the conference in free throws made this past year.

Dasonte Bowen is another returning reserve who should continue to grow in the Hawkeyes’ backcourt at the backup shooting guard role. He heads into Year 2 after producing 3.1 ppg and 1.0 apg on 36.4 percent shooting from deep across 26 appearances in 2022-23. He’s another self-creator at the off-guard spot who should turn some heads with his development as a sophomore. He’ll compete for minutes while learning from Perkins at the starting role.

Small Forward/Wing​

Patrick Mcaffery is a returner with experience given his move from starter to coveted reserve in 2022-23. He started in the first 14 games of the year before coming off the bench for the final 13 games of the season, averaging 9.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg and 1.0 apg on 34.3 percent shooting from deep and 40.9 percent shooting from the floor.

He’ll be looked upon to play a vital role in the Hawkeyes’ success with increased production in 2023-24. He’s a wiry forward prospect at 6-foot-9 who can create matchup problems for others given his length and ability to operate at either forward spot. He’ll be another returner looked upon to lead this Iowa group this upcoming year alongside Perkins.

Pryce Sandfort, younger brother of Payton, is another young name who showed he could compete for early minutes following their exhibition tour this past August. He knocked down seven 3-pointers and averaged 9.0 ppg and 3.3 rpg across their three victories, showing he can operate on the perimeter as a threat and rebound the ball when it’s not in his hands. He’ll be looked upon to provide support at the backup small forward/wing role with his length and abilities at 6-foot-6.

Power Forward​

Payton Sandfort is another returner who should play a big role in the Hawkeyes’ success this season. He showed good strides in Iowa’s exhibition tour this past August, averaging 19.0 ppg and 11.0 rpg and knocking down a team-high 12 3-pointers across their three wins.

He was last year’s Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year for Iowa after posting 10.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg and 1.5 apg on 34.3 percent shooting from deep across 33 appearances and just seven starts in 2022-23. He went off for 22 points on six made 3-pointers back on Feb. 25 in a win over Michigan State. With starter minutes, He seems poised to break out in more ways than one as a presence in the Big Ten ranks this year.

Even Brauns joins the conference after spending the past three seasons with Belmont in the MVC and formerly of the OVC. He put up 7.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 bpg and 1.2 apg in 2022-23. He finished second in the MVC in blocks (42) and ninth in offensive rebounds (60). He’s a two-way paint presence who should provide support in a variety of ways for the Hawkeyes’ frontcourt given his production in the painted area.

Center​

Ben Krikke joins the Iowa lineup after spending the past four seasons in the MVC with Valparaiso. He’s developed quite nicely as a paint presence after averaging 19.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg and 2.1 apg on 55.2 percent shooting from the floor in 2022-23.

Krikke held his own in the painted area against international competition this past August in their exhibition tour, producing 16.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg and 1.0 bpg. He’s a 6-foot-9 paint presence who should turn heads with his addition to the Hawkeyes’ rotation out of the MVC. He led the conference in shooting percentage, field goals made (244) and finished eighth in offensive rebounds (63).

Owen Freeman is another newcomer in the Hawkeyes 2023 recruiting class who should make an instant impact given his production in their overseas tour. He’s a 6-foot-11 big man with a bright future ahead of him in the Big Ten and in the Iowa frontcourt.

I am hoping that Bowen gets more than 10 minutes a game. The team needs more quickness at the point.

Yeah, the author has Brock w/ 15 and Dasonte with 10. I would give Dasonte the 15 and Brock the 10 for now.

Fran had a short leash with Dasonte last season; will that continue?
It will if he looks like he did last year. Hopefully he's made some good progress.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I know Dix has played a little PG, but if anyone other than Bowen or Harding (our "true" PGs) gets the start, my expectation would be that it would be Perkins, who I believe has logged more PG minutes than Dix.

That said, Fran has often used two PGs on the floor at the same time, so I don't really think it's as important as some fans would think as to who is designated the "PG" and who is designated the "SG." In Perkins, Dix, Bowen, and Harding, I think we have versatile guys who can help in multiple roles.

But I do think it's weird that this writer seems to think of Dix as a PG and Bowen as a SG, when I believe the opposite to be true.

I like the starting lineup as I think Dix showed he was more ready & steady last season. In that scenario, I see both Dix and Perkins being joint PG and SG depending on the offensive set. Both have experience (Dix less of of course) and skills at both positions.

I too find it surprising that he has Bowen at the SG spot rather than PG. I also am surprised that he has Brauns at the 4 rather than 5 spot. I'm envisioning him being more of a true 5. I think Krikke would move to the 4 spot when Brauns and Krikke are on the floor together. I haven't seen enough of Freeman yet but was thinking he's more of a 4 than a 5 even though he's 6'11. I'm really excited about what Freeman brings to the table.

Last edited:
Payton should be the SF. Patrick should be the 6 th man.
Who is the better defender between the two? I honestly don't know (they're both liabilities).

Pat is marginally more athletic, but Payton seems to have more hustle. Either way - I agree with the sentiment that both shouldn't be on the floor together for long stretches of the game.

Who is the better defender between the two? I honestly don't know (they're both liabilities).

Pat is marginally more athletic, but Payton seems to have more hustle. Either way - I agree with the sentiment that both shouldn't be on the floor together for long stretches of the game.
Payton can get rebounds. And doesn't try to be an NBA primary scorer. The George Irvin shoots are maddening.

Reactions: NI hawk

If I was to start it probably
Perkins
Dix
Payton
Krikie
Freeman

Or

Perkins
Dix
Payton
NJ kid
Krikke

My thoughts:

The story:

by Jerran Anderson
Sep 24, 2023

Point Guard​

Shooting Guard​

Small Forward/Wing​

Power Forward​

Center​

I thought Dasonte Bowen is a point guard?

Reactions: Franisdaman
FWIW, this is the same starting lineup that was listed in Jeff Goodman's College Basketball almanac. There were some quotes from Fran too in that talking about how he really likes Dix's decision making. I've been slowly going back and watching some of last year's games and I was surprised by how often Dix was playing point. I guess I didn't really register that in the moment.
In Iowa's offense--it really does not matter who takes the ball up anyways, so if Fran trusts both Perkins and Dix to take it up they are pretty interchangeable.
I really like the idea of surrounding Tony with 4 shooters. Hopefully Krikke at least is a 33%+ 3 point shooter as I think that Pick n Pop game with Tony and him could be lethal if defenses at least have to play Krikke honest.

I like the starting lineup as I think Dix showed he was more ready & steady last season. In that scenario, I see both Dix and Perkins being joint PG and SG depending on the offensive set. Both have experience (Dix less of of course) and skills at both positions.

I too find it surprising that he has Bowen at the SG spot rather than PG. I also am surprised that he has Brauns at the 4 rather than 5 spot. I'm envisioning him being more of a true 5. I think Krikke would move to the 4 spot when Brauns and Krikke are on the floor together. I haven't seen enough of Freeman yet but was thinking he's more of a 4 than a 5 even though he's 6'11. I'm really excited about what Freeman brings to the table.

He must be thinking that if Brauns (or Dembele) come in with Owen Freeman, Owen would play the 5 and Brauns/Dembele the 4.

Reactions: skydog0784
Against strong man to man pressure, I don't see Dix being able to run the point. I like what I see with Brock, and hope Dasonte can limit his turnovers. But against real pressure I'd take either over Josh, or Tony.

Against strong man to man pressure, I don't see Dix being able to run the point. I like what I see with Brock, and hope Dasonte can limit his turnovers. But against real pressure I'd take either over Josh, or Tony.
Agree
Why do I see our season dependent on tony and pryce’s shooting.

Reactions: amahawk
We do need more quickness at the point, and not just on offense. I like guys like Bowen or Brock to trying staying in front of quick point guards, like so many of the better teams have. Unless they play really good defense, most 6' 4 or 5 guys don't usually match up well with small quick point guards.

Reactions: drunkengoat
For most teams in the B10, Payton is going to struggle to defend a PF. We can't have him in foul trouble because we need him for points.
Most teams in the Big Ten will actually have a very similarly sized 4 out there that Payton would be guarding. There's a few teams that are going to roll out 2 big lineups (Indiana, Michigan and Illinois), but for the most part he will be guarding 6'6-6'8 perimeter guys. He's hopefully going to benefit from guarding some guys where he isn't at a disadvantage with his lateral footspeed--so many teams nowadays run 3 guards out there and Payton really struggled when he was guarding smaller guys last year. People kill Pat on here for his D when he's guarding quicker guys, but I think Payton was worse.

The other aspect of having Payton at the 4 is that it forces the teams that do play 2 bigs into uncomfortable situations where they are running around on the perimeter and trying to guard Payton through off-ball screens. I just finished watching last year's Indiana road game and that's exactly what Fran did, he went small for a while and Indiana eventually just had to take Race Thompson out because of how bad he was on the perimeter.

For reference: Payton was listed at 6'7 215 last year, but he's had an entire offseason where he's known he will likely be playing the 4, so I'm hoping he's up around the 225 range.

Here's all of the projected starting 4's in the Big Ten:
Illinois: Coleman Hawkins 6'10 225
Indiana: Malik Reneau 6'9 230
Iowa: Payton Sandfort 6'7 215
Maryland: Donta Scott 6'8 240
Michigan: Olivier Nkamhoua 6'9 230
Michigan St: Malik Hall 6'8 220
Minnesota: Josh Ola-Joseph 6'7 215
Nebraska: Brice Williams 6'7 215
Northwestern: Brooks Barnhizer 6'6 215
Ohio St: Jamison Battle 6'7 220
Penn St: Puff Johnson 6'8 200
Purdue: Mason Gillis 6'6 230
Rutgers: Mawot Mag 6'7 215

So yeah there's a few matchups that would be issues, but most are fine. Every single one of these is a perimeter player except for Reneau and Hawkins (to an extent as he loves take bad 3s too).

Reactions: skydog0784
And I think last year he said or was listed as 6'8 at least.

In the summer of 2022 Payton stated that he had been practicing at the 2, 3 and 4 positions.

In a June 16, 2022 interview, Payton said he had grown an inch since the prior season; he said he stood at 6 feet, 7.75 inches. Has he grown any more over the last 15 months? Not sure.

FWIW, this is the same starting lineup that was listed in Jeff Goodman's College Basketball almanac. There were some quotes from Fran too in that talking about how he really likes Dix's decision making. I've been slowly going back and watching some of last year's games and I was surprised by how often Dix was playing point. I guess I didn't really register that in the moment.
In Iowa's offense--it really does not matter who takes the ball up anyways, so if Fran trusts both Perkins and Dix to take it up they are pretty interchangeable.
I really like the idea of surrounding Tony with 4 shooters. Hopefully Krikke at least is a 33%+ 3 point shooter as I think that Pick n Pop game with Tony and him could be lethal if defenses at least have to play Krikke honest.
Are there any college BB magazines out on news stands yet. Atthon, Lindy's, etc.

Are there any college BB magazines out on news stands yet. Atthon, Lindy's, etc.
I am not sure about actual news magazines. There's a digital one that is very good IMO. College Basketball Almanac. It's written by Jeff Goodman and a bunch of other college basketball writers--it's pretty in-depth and even covers the smaller conferences.

I am not sure about actual news magazines. There's a digital one that is very good IMO. College Basketball Almanac. It's written by Jeff Goodman and a bunch of other college basketball writers--it's pretty in-depth and even covers the smaller conferences.
Prefer physical media for college BB every year. It's kinda nostalgic. But thanks for the tip on college BB almanac will check it out. How are they in recruiting rundowns?

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT