ADVERTISEMENT

Glenn Schembechler resigns days after being hired at Michigan.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Slightly OT. He is the son of Bo, and has spent his career in the NFL. Being hired to Michigan seemed like a lifeline from Jim Harbaugh, a family friendship deal.
Apparently Glenn made lots of likes over the years to social media posts about slavery and Jim Crow laws building character.
This hasn’t been a great offseason for Michigan, and if your initial reaction is people are too sensitive, fine. But someone at Michigan should have vetted this hire a little more diligently.

Slightly OT. He is the son of Bo, and has spent his career in the NFL. Being hired to Michigan seemed like a lifeline from Jim Harbaugh, a family friendship deal.
Apparently Glenn made lots of likes over the years to social media posts about slavery and Jim Crow laws building character.
This hasn’t been a great offseason for Michigan, and if your initial reaction is people are too sensitive, fine. But someone at Michigan should have vetted this hire a little more diligently.

Yup...this is real and as a Umich alumnus my big question is (also) why he wasn't vetted (I'm in a majority of Umich alumni in asking). We all understand how this happened...he and Jim have known each other since they were kids. In addition, "Shemy" was technically over qualified for the job as an assistant in the recruiting office as he was a former NFL scout. So he got offered a low level job with nobody doing proper due diligence.

The how it happened does not exonerate Michigan...I say that as a grad. With that said, if you believe his "resignation" was his choice then you are wrong. He worked at Michigan for 3 days...probably hadn't even completed his insurance forms. A wrong has been righted with haste...though if you want to come back to he should have been vetted prior...I will not fight you on that...ot should have happened

I will ask you guys...as fans/grads of a program that has been accused of having racist members on your staff recently...how you feel about how each school dealt with it in comparison? Michigan didn't need to hold an investigation nor keep the spawn of a legendary coach on staff...and in Shemy's case he did it on social media and never said anything directly to a POC...does it not make you think?

(Note: if it was not clear, I don't support anything that Bo's son liked on social media and don't think...in anyway shape or form he was wronged)

Apple's and oranges.
Being accused does not make accusations factual.
Fairness still should matter in this society.
When accusers recant accusations do they still count?
As for how each school handled these cases that were each unique?
Similar treatment of proven behavior.

Apple's and oranges.
Being accused does not make accusations factual.
Fairness still should matter in this society.
When accusers recant accusations do they still count?
As for how each school handled these cases that were each unique?
Similar treatment of proven behavior.
While I agree with the principle (and law) of what you are saying...you know I was being cordial when I used the word "accused."

You are correct that this is apples and oranges. In one case (Iowa's) there were a number of actual human beings claiming to be victims. In the second "case" (quotes because there is not an actual case) it was something done on social media. I don't think the two schools handled them the same way...but if you disagree...well that is why I asked the question.

Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
If someone "likes" a racist statement on social media many times, he "may" have some racist tendencies in his heart, but is that really an act of racism? We don't know what the posts said that he liked - maybe there were just jokes in poor taste - which is what we see here posted about every 2 minutes.

If a coach makes a black player get a haircut, remove jewelry or turn off the music the player likes - is that an act of racism? Or, just making the players conform to a team concept that is arguably more comfortable for white players?

If a radio announcer compares a very good, and very large and dominant basketball player to King Kong, is that an act of racism? What if he had called him Paul Bunyan?

We are so afraid of racism that we condemn a person for any possible racist act that happened in the past, or anything operating even close to the gray area of racism.

If someone "likes" a racist statement on social media many times, he "may" have some racist tendencies in his heart, but is that really an act of racism? We don't know what the posts said that he liked - maybe there were just jokes in poor taste - which is what we see here posted about every 2 minutes.

If a coach makes a black player get a haircut, remove jewelry or turn off the music the player likes - is that an act of racism? Or, just making the players conform to a team concept that is arguably more comfortable for white players?

If a radio announcer compares a very good, and very large and dominant basketball player to King Kong, is that an act of racism? What if he had called him Paul Bunyan?

We are so afraid of racism that we condemn a person for any possible racist act that happened in the past, or anything operating even close to the gray area of racism.
I agree with this. People do a very bad job of deciphering intent. Eg, Dolph’s King Kong comment was in no way shape or form meant to be racist.

Also, “hundreds to thousands of tweets unliked.” 😂🤣😂

Considering the content of some of those tweets, and the sheer volume; I think we can say with some level of confidence he is probably racist by most any standard, and the University of Michigan might want to, at the very least, hold off on that hire.

• Haha
One was a response to a lawsuit and wouldn’t have been easily dismissed with firing a 3 day employee. A more apt comparison would be how did Michigan handle the sexual assault case that they had to deal with. Did they just fire someone and move on? No investigation?

• Haha
While I agree with the principle (and law) of what you are saying...you know I was being cordial when I used the word "accused."

You are correct that this is apples and oranges. In one case (Iowa's) there were a number of actual human beings claiming to be victims. In the second "case" (quotes because there is not an actual case) it was something done on social media. I don't think the two schools handled them the same way...but if you disagree...well that is why I asked the question.
Try actually READING what you posted, because that is true, and your assertion is not FACT. Yes a few EX players CLAIMED some racial bias. That doesn't make it fact. Also some context is in order. This all came about after the Floyd murder in Minneapolis. People of color were disturbed, and rightfully so. In walks some shyster lawyer with a questionable background and he lights the powder keg. All of a sudden several players of color all most all guys who either we're not getting playing time or had already left the school for the same reason are making racial claims. Funny, that NONE of this was apparent before the events mentioned. Since that time MANY of these accounts have been recanted. Now if you were actually not biased in this case you might realize that most of this is nothing more then smoke and mirrors, and a money grab as is the case with Wadley, one of the only persons in the lawsuit who actually played much if at all. Funny after his claims that KF somehow black balled him from the NFL, (a totally ridiculous claim with zero merit), his mother actually contacted Iowa to try to get them to offer a scholarship to his younger brother. Kind of funny, given their claims, don't you think?

Try actually READING what you posted, because that is true, and your assertion is not FACT. Yes a few EX players CLAIMED some racial bias. That doesn't make it fact. Also some context is in order. This all came about after the Floyd murder in Minneapolis. People of color were disturbed, and rightfully so. In walks some shyster lawyer with a questionable background and he lights the powder keg. All of a sudden several players of color all most all guys who either we're not getting playing time or had already left the school for the same reason are making racial claims. Funny, that NONE of this was apparent before the events mentioned. Since that time MANY of these accounts have been recanted. Now if you were actually not biased in this case you might realize that most of this is nothing more then smoke and mirrors, and a money grab as is the case with Wadley, one of the only persons in the lawsuit who actually played much if at all. Funny after his claims that KF somehow black balled him from the NFL, (a totally ridiculous claim with zero merit), his mother actually contacted Iowa to try to get them to offer a scholarship to his younger brother. Kind of funny, given their claims, don't you think?
"Shyster" is an antisemitic word...you might want to check yourself

Super. Lets go with ambulance chaser if you prefer. The context is the same. He saw a chance to stir the pot, and thats what the majority of the lawsuit was. If you'd stayed up with the case, most of the claims revolve around gems like, "they had issue with or ridiculed my cultural hair style. Yea, right. Take a look at some of the "hair styles" of past Iowa players. Iowa has had many All american players. some of KF's favorites all time who have worn cultural hair. Bob Sanders and Adrian Claybourne come to mind. "I couldn't walk around in the football complex in my wife beater and gold chains". So did the staff only hold black players to a dress code? Ah, NO, thats not the case. How about DJK claim that they "made him run around in the indoor football complex with a garbage can on his head". Nope, many others have said thats not what happened. Of course these, and other "claims" that have been recanted, or witnessed by others and disputed will not be put before the public in the manor that the original claims were, because thats not the juicy story the original was. Anyone who thinks Iowa or its university is somehow more racist even today then schools in the deep south like most of the SEC schools is delusional.....

Interesting that is the only thing you chose to respond to.

The Baltimore Jewish Times disagrees with you. Unless the lawyer in the case was Jewish.

Jewish lawyer
  • “shyster” applied to a Jew is antisemitic because of the “Jewish lawyer” stereotype, but its etymology is not related to Jews and when used to derogatorily describe lawyers in general it has no antisemitic connotation.

• Haha
Super. Lets go with ambulance chaser if you prefer. The context is the same. He saw a chance to stir the pot, and thats what the majority of the lawsuit was. If you'd stayed up with the case, most of the claims revolve around gems like, "they had issue with or ridiculed my cultural hair style. Yea, right. Take a look at some of the "hair styles" of past Iowa players. Iowa has had many All american players. some of KF's favorites all time who have worn cultural hair. Bob Sanders and Adrian Claybourne come to mind. "I couldn't walk around in the football complex in my wife beater and gold chains". So did the staff only hold black players to a dress code? Ah, NO, thats not the case. How about DJK claim that they "made him run around in the indoor football complex with a garbage can on his head". Nope, many others have said thats not what happened. Of course these, and other "claims" that have been recanted, or witnessed by others and disputed will not be put before the public in the manor that the original claims were, because thats not the juicy story the original was. Anyone who thinks Iowa or its university is somehow more racist even today then schools in the deep south like most of the SEC schools is delusional.....
The depositions told the story. Some interesting reading. Odd that those stories were left out of most of the follow ups.

Interesting that is the only thing you chose to respond to.

The Baltimore Jewish Times disagrees with you. Unless the lawyer in the case was Jewish.

Jewish lawyer
  • “shyster” applied to a Jew is antisemitic because of the “Jewish lawyer” stereotype, but its etymology is not related to Jews and when used to derogatorily describe lawyers in general it has no antisemitic connotation.
I chose that simple point because sometimes people pretend to not be racist but don't even realize they are saying racist/offensive things.

And as far as the "Baltimore Jewish Times"...what does the "Albany Jewish Gazette" say?...how about the "Hartford Jewish Post?" I think you are reaching a bit...I'm Jewish, know the origin of the word and don't appreciate your effort.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I chose that simple point because sometimes people pretend to not be racist but don't even realize they are saying racist/offensive things.

And as far as the "Baltimore Jewish Times"...what does the "Albany Jewish Gazette" say?...how about the "Hartford Jewish Post?" I think you are reaching a bit...I'm Jewish, know the origin of the word and don't appreciate your effort.
What Michigan did is MUCH MUCH worse.

Wouldn’t expect anything less from that state though.

• Haha

New York Law Journal?
“Cohen found no anti-Semitism in the derivation of shyster. It was coined by a Manhattan newspaper editor in 1843-1844. Cohen described how the newspaper was on a crusade against legal and political corruption then in the city. During this crusade, the editor formed the word “shyster” from the vulgar German word Scheisse (= excrement), hence “scheisser” became “shyster.” This, says respected lexicologist Garner, is the correct etymology of shyster.”

“To be sure, shyster is a derogatory term. It may even be defamatory. But by itself and without more, it is derogatory and defamatory to lawyers, not Jews. Shysters come in different religions.”

I am sure the term has been used in a derogatory manner. Similar to most terms. In the op it was used like all of the dictionaries I could find say it should, it’s used according to it’s entomology say it should be used. If you choose to be offended that is your choice. As far as my effort goes, it was pretty easy to find the information.
I would want to deflect away from your original post in this thread as well. I don’t think it went like you had hoped it would.

Reactions: kceasthawk
New York Law Journal?
“Cohen found no anti-Semitism in the derivation of shyster. It was coined by a Manhattan newspaper editor in 1843-1844. Cohen described how the newspaper was on a crusade against legal and political corruption then in the city. During this crusade, the editor formed the word “shyster” from the vulgar German word Scheisse (= excrement), hence “scheisser” became “shyster.” This, says respected lexicologist Garner, is the correct etymology of shyster.”

“To be sure, shyster is a derogatory term. It may even be defamatory. But by itself and without more, it is derogatory and defamatory to lawyers, not Jews. Shysters come in different religions.”

I am sure the term has been used in a derogatory manner. Similar to most terms. In the op it was used like all of the dictionaries I could find say it should, it’s used according to it’s entomology say it should be used. If you choose to be offended that is your choice. As far as my effort goes, it was pretty easy to find the information.
I would want to deflect away from your original post in this thread as well. I don’t think it went like you had hoped it would.
To sum up...the use of the word as a derogatory term against Jews has been litigated in court?

Do you even understand what you are arguing? Damn...

This has nothing to do about lack of vetting. There are too many tools these days to do that. This is about UM deciding internally that hiring a relative with the same last name of a hall of fame coach would make their blind faithful overlook any and all shortcomings.

This has nothing to do about lack of vetting. There are too many tools these days to do that. This is about UM deciding internally that hiring a relative with the same last name of a hall of fame coach would make their blind faithful overlook any and all shortcomings.
So...you think there was a discussion/meeting(s) where it was decided that they'd overlook what he was liking on twitter?

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
To sum up...the use of the word as a derogatory term against Jews has been litigated in court?

Do you even understand what you are arguing? Damn...
Just quoting the New York Law Journal. The Baltimore Jewish Times wasn’t sufficient to show the definition of the word and how it applies to lawyers with those characteristics, not just Jewish lawyers with those characteristics or the Jewish population as a whole. It’s not as complicated as you want it to be.
Go after the ‘Jew them down crowd’.
And keep staying away from the 3 day hire and lawsuit analogies.

Thank goodness Iowa doesn’t have a HOF coach in football to worry about.

• Haha
Just quoting the New York Law Journal. The Baltimore Jewish Times wasn’t sufficient to show the definition of the word and how it applies to lawyers with those characteristics, not just Jewish lawyers with those characteristics or the Jewish population as a whole. It’s not as complicated as you want it to be.
Go after the ‘Jew them down crowd’.
And keep staying away from the 3 day hire and lawsuit analogies.
The "jew them down crowd?" Wtf is wrong with you?

The "jew them down crowd?" Wtf is wrong with you?
That would be considered a direct derogatory term towards Jewish people in general.
Shyster is a derogatory term towards lawyers who are unethical, not specifically Jewish people.
If it were me and I was to spend any time going after things(probably wouldn’t) I would approach the one that actually applies specifically to Jewish people rather than the one that doesn’t.
Still staying away from you op, solid effort on that

Yup...this is real and as a Umich alumnus my big question is (also) why he wasn't vetted (I'm in a majority of Umich alumni in asking). We all understand how this happened...he and Jim have known each other since they were kids. In addition, "Shemy" was technically over qualified for the job as an assistant in the recruiting office as he was a former NFL scout. So he got offered a low level job with nobody doing proper due diligence.

The how it happened does not exonerate Michigan...I say that as a grad. With that said, if you believe his "resignation" was his choice then you are wrong. He worked at Michigan for 3 days...probably hadn't even completed his insurance forms. A wrong has been righted with haste...though if you want to come back to he should have been vetted prior...I will not fight you on that...ot should have happened

I will ask you guys...as fans/grads of a program that has been accused of having racist members on your staff recently...how you feel about how each school dealt with it in comparison? Michigan didn't need to hold an investigation nor keep the spawn of a legendary coach on staff...and in Shemy's case he did it on social media and never said anything directly to a POC...does it not make you think?

(Note: if it was not clear, I don't support anything that Bo's son liked on social media and don't think...in anyway shape or form he was wronged)
Lulz, I told you Michigan was racist.

Got eem.

This shouldn't be that difficult a discussion. I would suggest that one ill-advised statement might be overlooked as a mistake or perhaps bad taste depending on what was said or liked. Twice should raise an eyebrow. Oftentimes things can change in context based upon how long ago and the era in which they occurred. People can grow and change with the times. I think reasonable people can agree on that.

Repeated many times including recent years reflects who the man is today, how he sees the world, and what he believes is acceptable and unacceptable language and behavior. When someone tells/shows you what they are, you should believe them.

Last edited:
This shouldn't be that difficult a discussion. I would suggest that one ill-advised statement might be overlooked as a mistake or perhaps bad taste depending on what was said or liked. Twice should raise an eyebrow. Oftentimes things can change in context based upon how long ago and the era in which they occurred. People can grow and change with the times. I think reasonable people can agree on that.

Repeated many times including recent years reflects who the man is today, how he sees the world, and what he believes is acceptable and unacceptable language and behavior When someone tells/shows you what they are, you should believe them.
Yeah, I know. But I haven't seen any of the tweets.

It's tough living in a country when a former POTUS and a sitting Senator (Santos) can say or do whatever they want, but an Asst Recruiting Director loses his job because of poor judgment on social media.

To be sure, I am not trying to defend him.

It's tough living in a country when a former POTUS and a sitting Senator (Santos) can say or do whatever they want, but an Asst Recruiting Director loses his job because of poor judgment on social media.

He thinks Jim Crowe laws were a good thing for blacks.

To your point, that would keep you from getting elected in at least 25 states.

My concern is that about anything and everything is considered racist these days.

Wow. I was a bit surprised at the antisemitic claim related to Shyster. Hadn't heard that before. Now even more surprised that you're doubling down on it. Anyway, I had to look it up.
I firmly believe language matters. But attempting to control what others can and can't say is just as concerning as the use of hateful words. So, I would suggest you, dear OP, do your research before trying to shut someone down.

Look, I've got friends and fam that went to Michigan. It's my second fav B1G school/team. So I'm not terribly biased here. But you're just trolling. And using racism as your springboard. Congrats.

• Haha
I think some people believe that by over analyzing other people's thoughts, words and actions that they will eliminate racism and the other isms.

• Haha

Yes.

Wow. I was a bit surprised at the antisemitic claim related to Shyster. Hadn't heard that before. Now even more surprised that you're doubling down on it. Anyway, I had to look it up.
I firmly believe language matters. But attempting to control what others can and can't say is just as concerning as the use of hateful words. So, I would suggest you, dear OP, do your research before trying to shut someone down.

Look, I've got friends and fam that went to Michigan. It's my second fav B1G school/team. So I'm not terribly biased here. But you're just trolling. And using racism as your springboard. Congrats.
You were surprised be it?

Tougher when the current potus is an avowed racist. You apparently havent seen Biden's senate proclamation videos.

Not to mention the former potus eulogizing a KKK Imperial wizard calling him a “mentor”. Saying he didn’t want his children growing up in a “racial jungle” and saying Barack Obama was the FIRST mainstream African American that was good looking, clean, and intelligent. WAIT! That was our current POTUS that said/did those among other racist actions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT