ADVERTISEMENT

Gloomy landscape for Democrats in midterms as Biden's approval drops to 38% in USA TODAY/Suffolk poll.

Apr 18, 2021
Buckhead GA
A year before the 2022 midterm elections, Republicans hold a clear lead on the congressional ballot as President Joe Biden's approval rating sinks to a new low of 38%.

A USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll, taken Wednesday through Friday, found that Biden's support cratered among the independent voters who delivered his margin of victory over President Donald Trump one year ago.

That said, the survey illuminates the size of the hole Democrats need to dig out of as they look toward the elections in one year – on Nov. 8, 2022 – that will determine control of Congress and shape the second two years of Biden's term.

At the moment, views of the president have soured.

Among the findings:

• Nearly half of those surveyed, 46%, say Biden has done a worse job as president than they expected, including 16% of those who voted for him. Independents, by 7-1 (44%-6%), say he's done worse, not better, than they expected.
  • Nearly two-thirds of Americans, 64%, say they don't want Biden to run for a second term in 2024. That includes 28% of Democrats. Opposition to Trump running for another term in 2024 is nearly as high, at 58%. That includes 24% of Republicans.
  • Vice President Kamala Harris' approval rating is 28% – even worse than Biden's. The poll shows that 51% disapprove of the job she's doing. One in 5, 21%, are undecided.
  • Americans overwhelmingly support the infrastructure bill Biden is about to sign, but they are split on the more expensive and further-reaching "Build Back Better" act being debated in Congress. Only 1 in 4 say the bill's provisions would help them and their families.
If the election were today, those surveyed say, they would vote for their Republican congressional candidate over the Democratic one by 46%-38%, an advantage that would bode well for GOP hopes of gaining a majority in the House and the Senate. In a president's first midterm election, his party usually loses ground, and this time the GOP needs to flip just five seats in the House and one in the Senate to claim control.

The party of a president with an approval rating that has dipped below 50% often faces a blowout.

I think the Republicans are finally distancing themselves from Trump in moderate areas and it seems to have paid off.

I expect them Dems to do the same in areas that aren't in far left areas from The Squad types and for the approval ratings to level out.

Last edited:
The poll numbers wouldn’t even bother me much if I was confident that his approvals would steadily tick up as gas prices eventually come down and supply chain issues ease. But the American people are so dumb that I wouldn’t be surprised if Biden gets no credit for things a Republican would.

Trump enjoyed constant high marks on “the economy” solely because of the DOW and the stupid myth that he was a genius businessman. The DOW is soaring under Biden and he gets slaughtered.

People having to pay a couple dollars more for gas and not being able to get a few items at the grocery store makes them angrier at the President than being openly, brazenly corrupt, racist, anti science, laughably incompetent, and a total embarrassment and clown on the international stage.

The Good News is that neither Biden or Trump
will be Presidential candidates in 2024. The GOP
and the Democrats have an opportunity to give
America a choice between two young, dynamic,
leaders.

How much further in drop until Dems ignite the 25th?
Biden is sitting at Trump's average over his four years. Funny, I don't remember you asking that question last year. How about we look at this poll instead? Numbers your boy only dreamed about.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Rs lost the Presidency, Senate, and House last year. They won one governorship last week. And the Rs have the nerve to talk about introspection.

Reactions: BGHAWK and DFSNOLE
The Good News is that neither Biden or Trump
will be Presidential candidates in 2024. The GOP
and the Democrats have an opportunity to give
America a choice between two young, dynamic,
leaders.

Names please!, I really wish you were right, I just don’t see it!

I think the Republicans are finally distancing themselves from Trump in moderate areas and it seems to have paid off.

I expect them Dems to do the same in areas that aren't in far left areas from The Squad types and for the approval ratings to level out.
Still, 76% of Republicans want Trump to run again? Yikes...

That 2nd paragraph reads like Trump supporters. I see you even edited your post. WTF?!? 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT