ADVERTISEMENT

Golf spectators are the worst

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Apr 25, 2005
Why do they all run at a golf ball when it is hit into their area? It's like they are a child trying to be the first to get credit for saying they found it. I've never been to an event so maybe they get free beer for being the one who gets there first? If so I apologize.

Also I assume they get prizes for being the worst dressed or repeating the same thing after every shot.

This post was edited on 4/12 2:09 PM by hawkeye54545

It's the idiots who yell after shots who are the worst. "Get in the hole!" is completely lame. I have been to the JDC several times and most of the people are fine. I was one of the idiots, not thinking, my first time at a tournament. I let a port-a-potty door slam behind me about 15 yards from the tee box. Roger Maltbie was about to swing and I got a death stare. I have been silent ever since. Lots of fun stories from golf tournaments to be told.

Originally posted by hawkeye54545:
Why do they all run at a golf ball when it is hit into their area? It's like they are a child trying to be the first to get credit for saying they found it. I've never been to an event so maybe they get free beer for being the one who gets there first? If so I apologize.

Also I assume they get prizes for being the worst dressed or repeating the same thing after every shot.

This post was edited on 4/12 2:09 PM by hawkeye54545
I have wondered the same thing. Looks kind of idiotic. As bad as yelling "get in the hole".

The crazy thing is that the patrons (not spectators at Augusta) are far better here than anywhere else on Tour.

Last year on Sunday, Jimmy Walker's tee ball wound up inches from my foot, under some guy's chair. It was really fun to stand essentially right next to him when he hit his 2nd shot (he hit it on, Rory into the water from a few yards away, I was very happy). I can see why people try to get close to see. It's really pretty damn neat, especially when it's a recovery shot from the woods, like you see so frequently (and apparently on every damn hole for Tiger today).

I think you repeated yourself, you already said they were golf spectators, of course they are the worst.

You have to think that these people are at least vaguely familiar with golf, but they sure don't act it. It's a freaking golf ball, but you'd swear they had just found a free Jeff Dunham CD.

I'm also baffled by the people who don't get out of the way when a player hits a wayward drive and they need an alley to hit their next shot through. Get out of the way, dammit.

TA TA TOOTHY!!!!

The Stern Show talks about it every week.

Rushing to be as close as possible to watch a pro hit his shot isn't nearly as bad as wearing your golf spikes to a tournament as a spectator.

Originally posted by HIWB:
Rushing to be as close as possible to watch a pro hit his shot isn't nearly as bad as wearing your golf spikes to a tournament as a spectator.
Or adult men wearing baseball gloves to games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:

Or adult men wearing baseball gloves to games.

Worst people ever. Because they are also the ones usually out running the 8 year old to the ball.

You know, living in Dallas, we get the Byron Nelson and The Colonial every year. When I first moved here, these were must see events, especially the Nelson (Colonial is a better tournament venue though) because the pavilion area features more hot women than you can shake a nine-iron at. It was one big party and had some good times there.

Thing is, I got tired of the hassle of going (oh and being married takes the fun out of the other thing). The parking is horrific to both events. You end up walking around in almost 100 degree heat to see a guy hit his ball from 20 yards away. Or one time, I listened to a drunk rag Tom Watson continuously. I never understood that. Bubba Watson, maybe. But Tom?

At the Nelson, we started just taking a seat on 17 and watching everybody hit it there. But after a while, you can take a nap. The Colonial is much better watching venue. but again, when the heat rolls in, it is miserable there.

Now would I go to the Masters if there was some way to do that? Yes. Without a doubt. Same with an Open venue or Pebble Beach. Not so sure about the British Open. I had a friend go to Carnoustie and said it was like playing in mid-February in Iowa. Only thing missing was the snow.

That's why when those tournaments roll around, I enjoy them from the comfort of an air conditioned home. No a-hole fans, walking around for four and half hours soaked in sweat and watching some guy name Lancaster win. Or Olin Browne.

Much better.

I was interning at Congressional in 2005, and got an earful from Olin Browne for fixing his ballmark on a par 3. He was playing there a few weeks before their tour event and wanted to know exactly how much roll he got from hitting that specific iron shot to that specific pin location. I was fixing old cup plugs and figured I'd help a brotha out. The only time in the history of the game where someone was displeased that someone else fixed their ballmark.

/csb

It's ironic, because what current golfer should get the credit for brining some of these fans to the game?.....
confused0024.r191677.gif

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

You know, living in Dallas, we get the Byron Nelson and The Colonial every year. When I first moved here, these were must see events, especially the Nelson (Colonial is a better tournament venue though) because the pavilion area features more hot women than you can shake a nine-iron at. It was one big party and had some good times there.

Thing is, I got tired of the hassle of going (oh and being married takes the fun out of the other thing). The parking is horrific to both events. You end up walking around in almost 100 degree heat to see a guy hit his ball from 20 yards away. Or one time, I listened to a drunk rag Tom Watson continuously. I never understood that. Bubba Watson, maybe. But Tom?

At the Nelson, we started just taking a seat on 17 and watching everybody hit it there. But after a while, you can take a nap. The Colonial is much better watching venue. but again, when the heat rolls in, it is miserable there.

Now would I go to the Masters if there was some way to do that? Yes. Without a doubt. Same with an Open venue or Pebble Beach. Not so sure about the British Open. I had a friend go to Carnoustie and said it was like playing in mid-February in Iowa. Only thing missing was the snow.

That's why when those tournaments roll around, I enjoy them from the comfort of an air conditioned home. No a-hole fans, walking around for four and half hours soaked in sweat and watching some guy name Lancaster win. Or Olin Browne.

Much better.
I'm basically the same way. Went to Medinah for the RC in 2012, and I'll never do that again. I'd probably go to Pebble for a US Open, and I'd definitely go back to Augusta, but that's pretty much it. You just don't get to see enough golf, IMO.

I've been to the Wachovia/Quail Hollow/Wells Fargo Championship in Charlotte several times. When I've seen this behavior, I think it's just a free-for-all for close access. You get the same rush to the front rows along the fairways and greens, but it's never quite as prevalent as when there's a sudden change in border.

My favorite approach is to find a good hole (I like #14 at Quail Hollow) and just park in a pretty good location all day so I can see all the golfers. I like 14 because it's a pretty straight, driveable par 4, so with a good location along the side, you can see the drive and then you'll see some eagle attempts.

Originally posted by slieb85:
I'm basically the same way. Went to Medinah for the RC in 2012, and I'll never do that again. I'd probably go to Pebble for a US Open, and I'd definitely go back to Augusta, but that's pretty much it. You just don't get to see enough golf, IMO.
I went to Pebble for the US Open Thurs/Friday rounds in 2010. It was fantastic. Bring your walking shoes and your sunscreen. One of the best parts of going to a tournament venue is experiencing the undulation and elevation changes that you don't see on TV. PB #8, #9, #17, and #18 present a completely different level of required skill when you see it in person.

the masters golf tournament is the worst. it is laughable that an event held at one of the longest standing bastions of bigotry and racism is treated like some hallowed event.

whats up with the funeral music they play after commericals and when the rounds start? what an athletic accomplishment it is to be the best at a hobby for rich white people..

save it.

I went to Pebble for the US Open Thurs/Friday rounds in 2010. It was fantastic. Bring your walking shoes and your sunscreen. One of the best parts of going to a tournament venue is experiencing the undulation and elevation changes that you don't see on TV. PB #8, #9, #17, and #18 present a completely different level of required skill when you see it in person.
?
17 and 18 are among two of the flattest holes on the course. I have played it twice. I will say that the 18th green is much smaller in real life, than it appears on TV. Also, TV doesn't pick up the intense head winds coming off the ocean when you are hitting into 17.

The elevation on 6, 7, and 8 is probably the most severe.

Hawaii, Riviera, and Olympic Club are the west coast courses that TV will never do justice. After that, Augusta around the greens, Merion, and Shinnecock. Pinehurst and Bethpage are two more that appear much different from TV. It will be interesting how they pull of coverage of this years open at Chambers Bay, because it has a lot of elevation changes.

Originally posted by linkshero:

?
17 and 18 are among two of the flattest holes on the course. I have played it twice. I will say that the 18th green is much smaller in real life, than it appears on TV. Also, TV doesn't pick up the intense head winds coming off the ocean when you are hitting into 17.

Hawaii, Riviera, and Olympic Club are the west coast courses that TV will never do justice. After that, Augusta around the greens, Merion, and Shinnecock. Pinehurst and Bethpage are two more that appear much different from TV. It will be interesting how they pull of coverage of this years open at Chambers Bay, because it has a lot of elevation changes.
Yeah, the elevation is very flat on 17 and 18 at PB. The prominent feature there is the wind on both those holes. I would also maybe add 9 and 10, but the elevation change isn't that severe.

Now I would like to see the Masters because TV doesn't really do justice to the elevation changes or the undulating greens.

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:
Originally posted by linkshero:

?

Yeah, the elevation is very flat on 17 and 18 at PB. The prominent feature there is the wind on both those holes. I would also maybe add 9 and 10, but the elevation change isn't that severe.

Now I would like to see the Masters because TV doesn't really do justice to the elevation changes or the undulating greens.
I needed to add a comma or start a new sentence. The point was that 17 and 18 are much different in person than on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT