ADVERTISEMENT

Golfer arrested after attacking fellow player on the course during Korn Ferry Tour qualifier event, police say

fredjr82

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
A golfer attempting to qualify for this week's Wichita Open on the Korn Ferry Tour was arrested after allegedly attacking another player during a qualifier Monday.

According to police in Newton, Kansas, Luke Smith of Covington, Tennessee, punched the victim in the face and tackled him to the ground during the qualifier at Sand Creek Station golf course.

"He held the victim down until he said 'uncle,' and then released him," Newton Police said in a statement.

According to police, the argument started when the suspect and his father, who was serving as his caddie, refused to help the victim look for errant shots in the rough.

Link

🤣🤣 -- Love how he made him say uncle

Now that I think about it, golf - for all its genteel manners - has no provisions against smashing someone in the face.

Funny story.

As is often the case, sounds like an overzealous parent may be at the heart of the problem. Just don't expect it so much in the pro's game, I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk
For what it's worth here, if you read on the article later states Dailey (identified as the guy that got punched) pushed the guys dad/caddy first. The third, and uninvolved, player in the group said that.

Constantly looking for golf balls wears one patience very thin, very quickly. But, sometimes it happens. Although only the player is responsible for his ball, the group does bear some responsibility and the group does bear all the responsibility in keeping up with the group ahead of them. Fisticuffs and brawling seldom provides the solution.

Reactions: Herkmeister
barker-fight-2.gif

Constantly looking for golf balls wears one patience very thin, very quickly. But, sometimes it happens. Although only the player is responsible for his ball, the group does bear some responsibility and the group does bear all the responsibility in keeping up with the group ahead of them. Fisticuffs and brawling seldom provides the solution.

The group has no responsibility to try and find someone's golf ball. Proper etiquette? Sure. Responsibility? Nah. I have never gotten pissed if someone doesn't help me look for my ball. I just make sure, if that happens, I do not help them look for theirs.

Source: Golfer of 33 years including a brief walk on stint at a D1 school.

Chances are if that guy is in the rough that much he won't be qualifying.

For what it's worth here, if you read on the article later states Dailey (identified as the guy that got punched) pushed the guys dad/caddy first. The third, and uninvolved, player in the group said that.

This golf digest has a different story, saying Fribbs was already on the 8th tee..I am sure the "truth" is somewhere in the middle.

Fribbs holed out and headed to the eighth tee box to help get the group back on track. As Dailey and the Smiths rushed over to catch up with him, Dailey mentioned that things might move faster if the Smiths also helped him to look. Boom went the dynamite, as they say.

Oliver Smith allegedly popped like a shook up Dr. Pepper, shouting at Dailey about how his poor play was dragging the group down and that his son “wasn’t here to look for balls.” As Dailey turned away from the confrontation to walk to the tee, Luke Smith reportedly jumped Dailey from behind and the haymakers flowed like fine wine. Fribbs ran back to break up the fight, but was reportedly held off by Oliver waving a putter in his face, the international symbol for “this ain’t your fight, kiddo.” The pro shop was eventually called to break up the fracas. When they arrived, they asked Dailey if he would like to press charges.

Golf Digest

Reactions: beanerhawk
The group has no responsibility to try and find someone's golf ball. Proper etiquette? Sure. Responsibility? Nah. I have never gotten pissed if someone doesn't help me look for my ball. I just make sure, if that happens, I do not help them look for theirs.

Source: Golfer of 33 years including a brief walk on stint at a D1 school.
But the “ group” has a responsibility to keep up with the group ahead of them. Sometimes by helping playing partners to locate their ball, pace of play is maintained. No point in being a dick, unless that is your personality. My mother taught me to always be a better person than the other guy. ;)

I mean, they’re trying to qualify for a mini-tour- is it really wrong to not want to spend tons of time digging through the rough searching for your competitors’ balls?
It's most definitely not a mini tour. Never was, and couldn't be farther from one now. It's become the qualifying tour for the PGA tour. There is no such thing as qualifying school to get your tour card anymore. You earn it through earning points on the Korn Ferry tour. There always were tour cards given to a top number of finishers, but now it's the primary way to get one. The other way is to earn enough money through PGA events on sponsors exemptions. And the handful of guys that do it each year are the phenoms that are that good already that wanted to finish the summer playing the majors as amateurs before declaring.

The Monday qualifiers for Korn Ferry are very competitive and a different beast than the PGA tour. There's a lot more parity and a lot more grinding. Every week you can make a tournament is an opportunity to finish well and get into the following weeks events. A lot of guys make their seasons just by getting in one time. It's not a Cinderella story like the Monday guys that make a PGA event. It's a feel good story when it's someone random guy or a young kid, but it's usually just a couple tour pros too far down the exemption list to get in that week.

But all that aside, probably not a good career move for either party to let their round turn into an actual brawl.

It's most definitely not a mini tour. Never was, and couldn't be farther from one now. It's become the qualifying tour for the PGA tour. There is no such thing as qualifying school to get your tour card anymore. You earn it through earning points on the Korn Ferry tour. There always were tour cards given to a top number of finishers, but now it's the primary way to get one. The other way is to earn enough money through PGA events on sponsors exemptions. And the handful of guys that do it each year are the phenoms that are that good already that wanted to finish the summer playing the majors as amateurs before declaring.

The Monday qualifiers for Korn Ferry are very competitive and a different beast than the PGA tour. There's a lot more parity and a lot more grinding. Every week you can make a tournament is an opportunity to finish well and get into the following weeks events. A lot of guys make their seasons just by getting in one time. It's not a Cinderella story like the Monday guys that make a PGA event. It's a feel good story when it's someone random guy or a young kid, but it's usually just a couple tour pros too far down the exemption list to get in that week.

But all that aside, probably not a good career move for either party to let their round turn into an actual brawl.
I get it. I really meant they were minor players trying to qualify, not specifically calling out the KF Tour

But the “ group” has a responsibility to keep up with the group ahead of them. Sometimes by helping playing partners to locate their ball, pace of play is maintained. No point in being a dick, unless that is your personality. My mother taught me to always be a better person than the other guy. ;)
Thats fine, to a point. But if you’re disrupting your game every other hole spending 10 minutes searching for another player’s ball? Screw that.

I get it. I really meant they were minor players trying to qualify, not specifically calling out the KF Tour

Thats fine, to a point. But if you’re disrupting your game every other hole spending 10 minutes searching for another player’s ball? Screw that.
I don’t care who you are...everyone has an occasional shitty day in the golf course, for whatever reason. But as a player I always felt “pace of play” was MY #1 responsibility and I gave on more than one occasion told playing partners “ we need to step it up”..

I believe there still is a PGA Q School annually for Tour Cards. The Beaty Of Koran Ferry is that you can gain in-season qualifiers for the Tour with a number of wins...and Top finishers in KF I believe get to leap frog early qualifying for the Q School finals.

I believe there still is a PGA Q School annually for Tour Cards. The Beaty Of Koran Ferry is that you can gain in-season qualifiers for the Tour with a number of wins...and Top finishers in KF I believe get to leap frog early qualifying for the Q School finals.

Last one was 2012, you can get a card to KFT, no more cards for PGA Tour after 2012.
The change was made when they went to fall season being part of regular year

Riding carts, ill drive over and look for balls whenever...walking (assuming these guys were), well id probably help a couple times but after the first 2-3 im sayin screw this and going to my ball and worrying about my own shot. Not going to waste a bunch of time and energy walking around looking for another golfers lost balls all day

Riding carts, ill drive over and look for balls whenever...walking (assuming these guys were), well id probably help a couple times but after the first 2-3 im sayin screw this and going to my ball and worrying about my own shot. Not going to waste a bunch of time and energy walking around looking for another golfers lost balls all day
Well then please don’t bitch when you get put on the clock and the penalties come rolling in...again...PACE of PLAY is the #1 problem in the game today...and everyone has a role in keeping things moving. As I said earlier...some days are not much fun on the golf course, especially when you think you should have a fishing and hunting license in hand with you instead of a golf bag.

Well then please don’t bitch when you get put on the clock and the penalties come rolling in...again...PACE of PLAY is the #1 problem in the game today...and everyone has a role in keeping things moving. As I said earlier...some days are not much fun on the golf course, especially when you think you should have a fishing and hunting license in hand with you instead of a golf bag.
The clock? I don’t play professionally. But if i did i sure wouldn’t be bitching about another player not helping me find my ball after ive been spraying it all over the place all day. I agree some days aren’t much fun on the golf course...but again im no professional, and if i was at some point id think to myself...hmmm maybe im not going to qualify with the way im playing and start dropping and taking lost balls/ penalties to speed play up.

The clock? I don’t play professionally. But if i did i sure wouldn’t be bitching about another player not helping me find my ball after ive been spraying it all over the place all day. I agree some days aren’t much fun on the golf course...but again im no professional, and if i was at some point id think to myself...hmmm maybe im not going to qualify with the way im playing and start dropping and taking lost balls/ penalties to speed play up.
Pace of play is a problem at all levels of the game. Some people to take the penalty.

you have 3 minutes to find and identify your ball now under the new rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT