ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga = fraud

I've said before....posters should be required to pass at least a very basic Basketball 101 test before given permission to post on here. It's for their own good.

Go ahead and hang around and READ. But post? Not like this....no.

+1

Petition the mods and make this happen, Dan! While it would probably eliminate half the Hawkeye "fans" on here, we know for sure 98.9% of the Cyclone faithful would be Sayonara!

That's a trade I'd be willing to make.

Reactions: DanL53
I don't buy the myth that is Gonzaga. They get hyped every year for amassing wins against conference teams that are, to be kind, bad. I suspect Drake would have finished 3rd in the anemic conference they play in. St. Mary's being rated in the top 25 is also a joke.

Put a P5 school in the Iowa Conference and let them beat up on Coe and others and give them a 1 seed and you have Gonzaga. Sure they play a few non-conference games, but it's not the same as the rigors of an actual competitive conference schedule.

It's a joke and the NCAA should not reward joke programs with a seed higher than 5. Their "tough" non-conference games included Arizona, Florida, Iowa State, Washington, and Tennessee. Iowa played Iowa State, UVA, Notre Dame, UNI, Seton Hall and multiple ranked teams in the B1G. They beat St. Mary's, a "ranked conference opponent", by almost 60 combined points in 3 games.

Much more respect for Butler who stepped up to play in a real conference.

Gonzaga's SOS = 86. Iowa = 47

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/sos

Look at these scores for Gonzaga:

93-55 over Loyola Marymount
79-43 over U. San Diego
96-49 over Pepperdine
96-38 in the rematch with San Diego
82-50 over Pacific

OP Huh? Didn't they just play in the final game of the Dance???

Iowa probably hasn't done that in your lifetime.

OP Huh? Didn't they just play in the final game of the Dance???

Iowa probably hasn't done that in your lifetime.

Yup they sure did as the brackets fell wide open for them, they did play NC good but both teams looked bad last night....first seed higher than a 4 they played all tourney and they got beat.

Yup they sure did as the brackets fell wide open for them, they did play NC good but both teams looked bad last night....first seed higher than a 4 they played all tourney and they got beat.

Well, when you are a 1 seed the earliest you are going to play anything higher than a 4 seed is the Elite 8 game. Xavier upended Arizona, no doubt that benefited the Zags. Oh, but they did beat Arizona in the non-conference portion of the schedule by 7 points, so for sure the Zags would have lost to Arizona. Not.

Yes, they also benefited from getting South Carolina in the Final 4 rather than Villanova out of the East region. But things happen, teams get upset. Gonzaga didn't get beat until it faced UNC.

Gonzaga is a very good team. Of course, they would not win as many games if they played in the Big Ten or Big 12, Pac-12 or other P5 conference. They play in a bad conference. But they aren't a fraud. They are a very good program who in the current state of college basketball (where the elite-level players leave after 1 year) has a shot at making deep tournament runs and even winning the whole thing (similar to Butler under Stevens).

Reactions: K OKeefe
I've said before....posters should be required to pass at least a very basic Basketball 101 test before given permission to post on here. It's for their own good.

Go ahead and hang around and READ. But post? Not like this....no.
I think you should start your own Hawkeye site and then you can implement your membership requirements and surround yourself with the people just like you so you do not have to slog your way through all of the moronic posts by the basketball illiterates. Just think you will be doing a public service by hosting your own site because you will be protecting them from themselves. :cool:

I think you should start your own Hawkeye site and then you can implement your membership requirements and surround yourself with the people just like you so you do not have to slog your way through all of the moronic posts by the basketball illiterates. Just think you will be doing a public service by hosting your own site because you will be protecting them from themselves. :cool:

Afraid you would fail?

Well, when you are a 1 seed the earliest you are going to play anything higher than a 4 seed is the Elite 8 game. Xavier upended Arizona, no doubt that benefited the Zags. Oh, but they did beat Arizona in the non-conference portion of the schedule by 7 points, so for sure the Zags would have lost to Arizona. Not.

Yes, they also benefited from getting South Carolina in the Final 4 rather than Villanova out of the East region. But things happen, teams get upset. Gonzaga didn't get beat until it faced UNC.

Gonzaga is a very good team. Of course, they would not win as many games if they played in the Big Ten or Big 12, Pac-12 or other P5 conference. They play in a bad conference. But they aren't a fraud. They are a very good program who in the current state of college basketball (where the elite-level players leave after 1 year) has a shot at making deep tournament runs and even winning the whole thing (similar to Butler under Stevens).

Arizona minus Alonzo Trier, that's a huge difference. But yes, Xavier knocked off Arizona and Gonzaga killed them so tough to make an argument for Arizona there.

I don't buy the myth that is Gonzaga. They get hyped every year for amassing wins against conference teams that are, to be kind, bad. I suspect Drake would have finished 3rd in the anemic conference they play in. St. Mary's being rated in the top 25 is also a joke.

Put a P5 school in the Iowa Conference and let them beat up on Coe and others and give them a 1 seed and you have Gonzaga. Sure they play a few non-conference games, but it's not the same as the rigors of an actual competitive conference schedule.

It's a joke and the NCAA should not reward joke programs with a seed higher than 5. Their "tough" non-conference games included Arizona, Florida, Iowa State, Washington, and Tennessee. Iowa played Iowa State, UVA, Notre Dame, UNI, Seton Hall and multiple ranked teams in the B1G. They beat St. Mary's, a "ranked conference opponent", by almost 60 combined points in 3 games.

Much more respect for Butler who stepped up to play in a real conference.

Gonzaga's SOS = 86. Iowa = 47

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/sos

Look at these scores for Gonzaga:

93-55 over Loyola Marymount
79-43 over U. San Diego
96-49 over Pepperdine
96-38 in the rematch with San Diego
82-50 over Pacific

Do you buy it now?

Arizona minus Alonzo Trier, that's a huge difference. But yes, Xavier knocked off Arizona and Gonzaga killed them so tough to make an argument for Arizona there.

Agree. I'm not saying that Gonzaga is the be all, end all. But they are/were a good team. There will always be skepticism about them as long as the conference they are in is that poor (as there should be). But that team was among the best 5 teams in the country this year, I have no problem saying that.

Reactions: David1979
I think the point people are making with Gonzaga is that we don't really know just how good they were. Yes they seemed to pass the eye test, but they had an easy schedule like always. The win against Arizona in the non conference was without one of Arizona's best players, and they played one team seeded higher than a 4 in the tournament and they lost.

Great for them on the outstanding season, but I don't think it is clear one way or the other whether or not they were one of the top five teams in the country.

So the people calling me names and asking if I know they played in the championship game clearly do not know how to read date and time stamps. Note: This was posted before the tournament started. I am sure you all had them in the championship game, so good job for being such excellent prognosticators.

Second, I stated an opinion that this year proved to be wrong. I will side with Gonzaga's history of not living up their lofty seeds based on playing a Missouri Valley Lite conference schedule and wood shedding teams by 25+. Put them in a P5 conference and they don't get a 1-3 seed likely ever. This season's team exceeded expectations and got a fortuitous path to the championship game, but bottom line, they beat who they had to.

Third, Few did what Fran should do, which is tap into the transfer market to fill key gaps. The goal of every coach should be to recruit inferior players to the bench with better players. Do you think the reserve guys at Gonzaga would have rather lost second round or advanced to the championship game because of the infusion of transfer talent?

I stated an opinion that was wrong and did not run to delete the thread, so I accept whatever comments people want to throw out there.

The OP should reconsider his opinion. One must recognize Gonzaga lived up to its seeding. In fact, one could argue they would have won the Championship if the officials had awarded the ball to Gonzaga when the UNC player's hand was out of bounds when they called a "tie-up" and awarded the ball to UNC which scored to make it a 3 point game. Reminds one of the Iowa-Minnesota game when the same thing happened against Iowa and Minnesota scored to send the game to overtime which Minny then won.

As noted in other posts the officiating in the final game was bad, but either team could have won in a great competitive game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT