ADVERTISEMENT

Good work if you can get it!

You should teachers such as yourself be allowed to vote on teacher pay bills?
We don't vote on those, dumbass. The legislature votes on them. The governor signs them. That's basic American civics so I understand why you're confused. Are you suggesting that teachers shouldn't be able to vote for representatives?

Reactions: nelly02 and win4jj
Not nearly as amazing as you arguing with yourself and not realizing it.
You really see no difference when teachers/farmers vote on legislation that generally affects/benefits them and others and when a legislator uses his position/ power to take advantage of a state tax funded program that will personally benefit him financially.:well, welcome to the Trump School of Business Ethics, Northern!
You prove you can have 20/20 vision and still be blind.

Reactions: win4jj
You missed a step: First you have to pass legislation that will allow you to enrich yourself at the expense of Iowa taxpayers.
You need to dig a little deeper Torbs. How is he personally "enriching" himself as you claim? This is a non-profit. Is he even getting a salary on the six member board? I doubt it. Here are some facts ...

1) The schools is looking to start in the Fall of 2025 but still in the very early stages of organization.
2) Non-profit (and we all know schools never turn a profit)
3) Key point ... there are currently no private school options in all of Tama County! Seems like they may be filling a void.
4) The charter is for a non-denominational Christian School.
5) Three of the six board members are retired or current public school teachers

https://www.northtamatelegraph.com/...ool-aims-to-start-classes-in-tama-co-in-2025/

You need to dig a little deeper Torbs. How is he personally "enriching" himself as you claim? This is a non-profit. Is he even getting a salary on the six member board? I doubt it. Here are some facts ...

1) The schools is looking to start in the Fall of 2025 but still in the very early stages of organization.
2) Non-profit (and we all know schools never turn a profit)
3) Key point ... there are currently no private school options in all of Tama County! Seems like they may be filling a void.
4) The charter is for a non-denominational Christian School.
5) Three of the six board members are retired or current public school teachers

https://www.northtamatelegraph.com/...ool-aims-to-start-classes-in-tama-co-in-2025/
Busting...there’s a lot of big $$$ to be had in these “non-profits”.... they need yo be carefully scrutinized, audited and regulated...too much access to “free $$$” and “free $$$” and human weakness are a dangerous combination without being overseen. The optics are bad...if nor unethical. The sad part of this voucher law is that by law, there is NO oversight included...Now, private school or not, Christian education or not....what could possibly go wrong with that? o_O

Busting...there’s a lot of big $$$ to be had in these “non-profits”.... they need yo be carefully scrutinized, audited and regulated...too much access to “free $$$” and “free $$$” and human weakness are a dangerous combination without being overseen. The optics are bad...if nor unethical. The sad part of this voucher law is that by law, there is NO oversight included...Now, private school or not, Christian education or not....what could possibly go wrong with that? o_O
Dim Kim and the DeVos cartel have set themselves up well to grift the Iowa taxpayers with the voucher scam. Looks like some of our Republican legislators couldnt resist dipping their fingers into the well too.

Same is true for big $$$ in any public school system … and teacher’s unions … and political donations from those teacher’s unions. I am for oversight on all … public and private so you are talking to the choir on that.

Dim Kim and the DeVos cartel have set themselves up well to grift the Iowa taxpayers with the voucher scam. Looks like some of our Republican legislators couldnt resist dipping their fingers into the well too.
I wonder if that’s all that’s getting dipped into? Lots of money at play here...and in my almost 75 years I have learned that “$$ + pussy is a common equation” where the answer results in a ethical/moral dilemma.

Same is true for big $$$ in any public school system … and teacher’s unions … and political donations from those teacher’s unions. I am for oversight on all … public and private so you are talking to the choir on that.
“Teacher’s Unions”? Which ones?
DMPD? Waterloo? Davenport? Knoxville. Atlantic? PrIrie City-Monroe? Spencer? Red Oak?
Phuque busting..,After the last legislative session, these evil “unions” have no power to negotiate any part of their contracts any more in Iowa, so just wtf are you talking about?

We don't vote on those, dumbass. The legislature votes on them. The governor signs them. That's basic American civics so I understand why you're confused. Are you suggesting that teachers shouldn't be able to vote for representatives?

Yes they do.

It saddens me that someone who claims to be a teacher can be so ignorant.

The below article from the Des Moines Register is from several years ago but it still applies today.

Lawmaking isn't their only job​

His offer was appreciated in the Capitol germ factory on a cold winter day. It also neatly illustrated the dual nature of Iowa's elected representatives: They're citizen-legislators, with experiences and occupations often far afield from the lawmaking and politicking of the Statehouse.

A Des Moines Register analysis quantifies for the first time in years the specific makeup of the 100-member House and 50-member Senate, revealing the most common occupations and the challenges inherent in balancing political service with professional responsibilities. Among the findings:

One of every five legislators is a farmer or someone whose livelihood is directly tied to agribusiness. Those 30 lawmakers leave an oversized footprint at the Statehouse even in an important agricultural state such as Iowa.

Lawmakers often serve on legislative committees that write and review bills that directly affect their own professions. More than half of the 23 members of the House Education committee, for example, listed jobs in the education sector.

"We have teachers on the education committee, we've got farmers on the ag committee and we've got labor reps on the labor committee," he said. "That in and of itself isn't a conflict of interest — it's putting knowledge where it needs to be applied to the facts."

Yes they do.

The below article from the Des Moines Register is from several years ago but it still applies today.

His offer was appreciated in the Capitol germ factory on a cold winter day. It also neatly illustrated the dual nature of Iowa's elected representatives: They're citizen-legislators, with experiences and occupations often far afield from the lawmaking and politicking of the Statehouse.

A Des Moines Register analysis quantifies for the first time in years the specific makeup of the 100-member House and 50-member Senate, revealing the most common occupations and the challenges inherent in balancing political service with professional responsibilities. Among the findings:

One of every five legislators is a farmer or someone whose livelihood is directly tied to agribusiness. Those 30 lawmakers leave an oversized footprint at the Statehouse even in an important agricultural state such as Iowa.

Lawmakers often serve on legislative committees that write and review bills that directly affect their own professions. More than half of the 23 members of the House Education committee, for example, listed jobs in the education sector.

"We have teachers on the education committee, we've got farmers on the ag committee and we've got labor reps on the labor committee," he said. "That in and of itself isn't a conflict of interest — it's putting knowledge where it needs to be applied to the facts."

Now “The Register” is the “good guy”....

Tel me how many are public classroom teachers. I'll wait.

Reactions: win4jj
Yes they do.

Define “education sector” please....teachers unions don’t include administrators or school board members, or aides.

Tel me how many are public classroom teachers. I'll wait.

Why did you edit out the below part when you quoted my post? How many? The article doesn't say.

Just take the L tarheel. You obviously had no idea about this subject. You're embarrassing yourself.

We have teachers on the education committee, we've got farmers on the ag committee and we've got labor reps on the labor committee," he said. "That in and of itself isn't a conflict of interest — it's putting knowledge where it needs to be applied to the facts."

No teacher should be voting on their own pay package. They should abstain. No farmer should be voting on a bill that enriches themselves. No business person should be voting on a bill that advantages their specific business.

Lord almighty how is this not easy to understand. If you will directly profit from your own vote, then you are not able to make unbiased REPRESENTATIVE decision. It is an obvious conflict of interest.

It sounds like they have a legitimate complaint about this guy. If there are examples of teachers voting for their own pay then they should be brought up on the same complaint.
Raise your hand if you're surprised Northern ignored this post.

1biecp.jpg

Yes they do.

Florida Lead GIF

Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (Iowa CCI) filed an ethics complaint today against Representative Dean Fisher (R-District 53) with the Chief Clerk of the Iowa House. In the complaint, the group claims Rep. Fisher acted unethically with respect to House Ethics Rules by attempting to cash in on private school vouchers through his Tama Toledo Christian School, a private school he founded and now serves as Board President.

“Representative Fisher has clearly violated Iowa’s House Ethics Rules with his private school,” said Barb Kalbach, Iowa CCI Board President and Adair County family farmer. “First he campaigned on private school vouchers. Then he voted for them. And now he’s trying to cash in on them by using over $900,000 in voucher money to operate the school each year. The House Ethics Committee needs to do its job and take action against Fisher for his ethics violations.”

Some similarities I suppose because Grassley was always pushing farm bills and as I recall he has received some big checks from the US Government in the past.
That’s different.

Kimmie will sit on the board of some company profiting off of the voucher program when she leaves office.

Reactions: sabula and MitchLL
I wonder if that’s all that’s getting dipped into? Lots of money at play here...and in my almost 75 years I have learned that “$$ + pussy is a common equation” where the answer results in an ethical/moral dilemma.
Did you get that info secondhand? 😂🤔😂🤔

Our elected officials at any level should not be allowed to profit off of their position and by enacting legislation to enhance this opportunity. Unfortunately, we see it at the local, state, and federal levels as well as from insider information regarding the stock market on both sides of the aisle. The moral compass is highly damaged when we see people elected into office with minimal net worth, walk out of office as multi millionaires. People see these things and say if they can do it, and get away with it, why can’t I?

We point the finger at corrupt foreign governments and officials, shake our heads and say they are not good people yet how many of our elected officials are doing the same, just not caught or allowed to do it with no repercussions. No elected official should be allowed to profit from their position but they all do, in some shape or form once everything is said and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT