ADVERTISEMENT

Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions

I heard this on the news last night and when they showed the bridge my immediate thought was how was this not closed/permanently barricaded in 9 years??

I think they’re suing the wrong people….sure looks like city/county/state negligence to me.
Correct. ^^ How is there a bridge out and there not be signage and barricades...after 9 years? Sue the entity in charge of road maintenance.

They just named Google because they are a large company.

If google told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?
dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

Correct. ^^ How is there a bridge out and there not be signage and barricades...after 9 years? Sue the entity in charge of road maintenance.

They just named Google because they are a large company.
Um, are you saying Google's directions had nothing to do with the wreck? Are you aware that Google was notified multiple times of the problem, before the wreck?

The map provided knew the bridge was out, and they told their customer to take that route.
Those terms and conditions you clicked on when you first opened the app…they limit the liability of the map company. This has held up in courts of law for decades. None the less Google sucks for not fixing the map error.

1. Actual Conditions; Assumption of Risk. When you use Google Maps/Google Earth's map data, traffic, directions, and other content, you may find that actual conditions differ from the map results and content, so exercise your independent judgment and use Google Maps/Google Earth at your own risk. You’re responsible at all times for your conduct and its consequences.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The Frau used to get after me for not asking for directions. My retort was her co-pilot/navigator skills sucked.
Kids today will never know what its like to get into a huge fight with your significant other over whether or not you really needed to stop and ask for directions. Just one more of life's joys eliminated by technology.

Those terms and conditions you clicked on when you first opened the app…they limit the liability of the map company. This has held up in courts of law for decades. None the less Google sucks for not fixing the map error.

1. Actual Conditions; Assumption of Risk. When you use Google Maps/Google Earth's map data, traffic, directions, and other content, you may find that actual conditions differ from the map results and content, so exercise your independent judgment and use Google Maps/Google Earth at your own risk. You’re responsible at all times for your conduct and its consequences.
I just opened the app on my phone. Those terms and conditions aren't displayed. Google was notified multiple times of the problem and didn't fix it.

I just opened the app on my phone. Those terms and conditions aren't displayed. Google was notified multiple times of the problem and didn't fix it.
At some point you almost certainly clicked ok on the T’s & C’s when you downloaded the app. Also they are in the app if you click the icon with your first initial to the right of the search bar you can find them in the menu there.

I am not defending their failure to fix the map…they should have. But there are plenty of times when people submit erroneous, or even dangerously fake map issues - so map makers tend to use a variety of methods and take some time to authenticate the submissions. Perhaps this one got a bad moderator/bot that didn’t realize the issue was real. A dumb mistake on Google’s part, but not one I have seen be successfully litigated. They clearly informed the driver the product is “use at your own risk”.

Either way I am sure they will settle to make the issue go away quickly and quietly.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin32
Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT