ADVERTISEMENT

Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Reminds me of this scene from The Office:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The family of a North Carolina man who died after driving his car off a collapsed bridge while following Google Maps directions is suing the technology giant for negligence, claiming it had been informed of the collapse but failed to update its navigation system.

Philip Paxson, a medical device salesman and father of two, drowned Sept. 30, 2022, after his Jeep Gladiator plunged into Snow Creek in Hickory, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Wake County Superior Court. Paxson was driving home from his daughter’s ninth birthday party through an unfamiliar neighborhood when Google Maps allegedly directed him to cross a bridge that had collapsed nine years prior and was never repaired.

“Our girls ask how and why their daddy died, and I’m at a loss for words they can understand because, as an adult, I still can’t understand how those responsible for the GPS directions and the bridge could have acted with so little regard for human life," his wife, Alicia Paxson, said.

State troopers who found Paxton's body in his overturned and partially submerged truck had said there were no barriers or warning signs along the washed-out roadway. He had driven off an unguarded edge and crashed about 20 feet below, according to the lawsuit.

The North Carolina State Patrol had said the bridge was not maintained by local or state officials, and the original developer’s company had dissolved. The lawsuit names several private property management companies that it claims are responsible for the bridge and the adjoining land.

Multiple people had notified Google Maps about the collapse in the years leading up to Paxson's death and had urged the company to update its route information, according to the lawsuit.

The Tuesday court filing includes email records from another Hickory resident who had used the map's “suggest an edit” feature in September 2020 to alert the company that it was directing drivers over the collapsed bridge. A November 2020 email confirmation from Google confirms the company received her report and was reviewing the suggested change, but the lawsuit claims Google took no further actions.

“We have the deepest sympathies for the Paxson family," Google spokesperson José Castañeda told The Associated Press. "Our goal is to provide accurate routing information in Maps and we are reviewing this lawsuit.”

I have been in mapping most of my career. These types of lawsuits used to be more common and I never saw one actually succeed. Although in this case, given how many chances Google had to fix the error they will obviously settle. The reality is the culpability is first and foremost on the driver to watch their surroundings. Second on the local and state authorities to maintain public roadways and then, maybe, on the map provider.

Google will simply pay up and move on.

I gps went down we'd be screwed.

1. They apparently don't sell road maps anymore and no one has them...except old farts like me.

2. People under 40 most likely can't read one if they had one.
The exact same scenario could have happened with a road map.

You'd look at the map, see the bridge intact on there, drive up to it and see zero barriers etc., and have the same fate as this guy.

Note, I speak as someone whose wife is annoyed that I have multiple state Gazeteers in both my vehicles because I enjoy and frequently use physical maps.

A previous job we used to receive deliveries and occasionally would get a phone call from a truck driver who would say he had arrived but didn’t see our facility. I seem to be in the middle of corn fields? Eventually we learned to ask if the punched in 220th Avenue or Street? “Oh $hit” was usually the response. I always have told my kids to look at a map and get an idea of the roads you will be on before going on a long trip and relying exclusively on gps.

CSB

The exact same scenario could have happened with a road map.

You'd look at the map, see the bridge intact on there, drive up to it and see zero barriers etc., and have the same fate as this guy.

Note, I speak as someone whose wife is annoyed that I have multiple state Gazeteers in both my vehicles because I enjoy and frequently use physical maps.
I'm just talking general navigation getting from point a to b on a road trip.

Young folks don't even know street names in their towns anymore.

"Our girls ask how and why their daddy died, and I’m at a loss for words they can understand because, as an adult, I still can’t understand how those responsible for the GPS directions and the bridge could have acted with so little regard for human life," his wife, Alicia Paxson, said.

Spock Encerio GIF

I'm just talking general navigation getting from point a to b on a road trip.

Young folks don't even know street names in their towns anymore.
My kids are actually pretty good with real maps as the cellular coverage near our lake house is absolutely crap. So GPS doesn't work when you're out and about in the hinterlands.

Hence my love of gazeteers :)

Delorme-Atlas-Gazetteer-Iowa-Paperback-9781946494573_7700c872-b0fd-4ae1-a5c6-5c65be5c0876.cd1eee6fd8858f14e95d39c088098578.jpeg

1. They apparently don't sell road maps anymore and no one has them...except old farts like me.

I asked a 29 year old co-worker on Monday if he was familiar with an Atlas? He. was aware of their existence, but, no. I referred him to one in order to answer the question he'd asked. I did offer that he could use a computer to find a map.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
There was a bridge out across I-235 through Des Moines years ago when they were replacing all of them. Same thing, a woman following GPS, but in this case she drove around a bunch of barriers, because that's what her GPS told her to do. The best part is that a man driving behind her followed her right over the edge. IIRC both survived, and I assume went on to have stupid children.

• Haha
Reactions: drew_hawk
Amazing none of the other people that drove off this unbarricaded bridge in the past nine years didn't sue. Did they check the dude's phone at the time of the crash?

Google will likely settle but I'd also imagine their terms of service specify that their maps are a reference and not guaranteed to be accurate. Obviously a terrible accident but the person driving the car is still responsible for driving the car.

You need to rethink your personal definition of what a Darwin Award is. Why wouldn't someone rely on ordinary instructions from Google Maps? The road wasn't marked that the bridge was out. There was no barricade.
Yep. Could totally see this happening, especially if it was dark. Cruising along, following Google map instructions, no warning signs, no barricades, poof, no bridge, no road, and you're plunging into a ravine.

The County/State bears a big responsibility in this as well.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
My kids are actually pretty good with real maps as the cellular coverage near our lake house is absolutely crap. So GPS doesn't work when you're out and about in the hinterlands.

Hence my love of gazeteers :)

Delorme-Atlas-Gazetteer-Iowa-Paperback-9781946494573_7700c872-b0fd-4ae1-a5c6-5c65be5c0876.cd1eee6fd8858f14e95d39c088098578.jpeg

Nice not so subtle brag bro!!

I guess I can see some negligence from Google, but shouldn't the bulk of this fall on the county? No barricades at all? Crazy.

Another note about relying solely on GPS. I have run into situations where Google will take you on the "fastest" route only for that to end up badly. Once on a trip to Wayne, NE in NE Nebraska where Google wanted to use a minimum maintenance road. Another in NW Iowa, same thing, minimum maintenance. Both times I looked at the road and said "nope" because I could easily recognize it as such a road being familiar with this area of the country.

That was not the case on a trip travelling at night, in the winter to Fond du Lac, WI where Google had me traversing every back county road on the way. I just trusted it would work out but I got kind of nervy being way out in the country.

Another was on a road trip to Odessa, TX where Google had us criss-crossing our way across the state of Texas on Farm-to-Market roads. This was real back roads, red dirt country with mesquite brush as far as the eye could see. I mean, it was an interesting trip because I got to see all these different small towns across Texas, the quality of which you judge by how nice the Dairy Queen is. If it's a nice town it had a nice DQ, if the DQ was a dump the town was going to be a dump. Interesting but, nope, not doing that again. On the way back, strictly interstate.

Then there was the time driving to Seattle where Google said to save time by cutting through a reservation on the South Dakota/Wyoming/Montana border, at night. Advice, don't take Hwy 212, just stick to I-90 from Seattle to Sioux Falls.

If you are going to make a zillion dollars while (among other things) providing driving directions, you should be liable for the directions you give out. Nobody forced Google to do this. If I tell someone to do something stupid, in my profession, no matter how obviously stupid it might be, I’m in deep sht if they do it and they hurt themselves.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

Shit, I MAKE maps and I'd have been screwed last weekend driving thru Dallas/Ft Worth without my GPS. It was hard enough to navigate the insane amount of highways/toll roads WITH one.

I use GPS. I drive places I have never been.

I am pretty sure that I am going to see a bridge that is out...at night...in the rain....when it looks like this.

f695a9e633811800d846ce8194cf3057

I love this quote

Tragically, as he drove cautiously in the darkness and rain,

How the hell does anyone know how he was driving?

• Wow
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
It's a privately maintained road. The developer is defunct. Reading comprehension is your friend.
The article insinuates it is a private road, but doesn’t definitively state it was.

If it is a private road, why does google maps use it as a travel route? Would think that could bring about more problems for google maps and users all over the country.

The article insinuates it is a private road, but doesn’t definitively state it was.

If it is a private road, why does google maps use it as a travel route? Would think that could bring about more problems for google maps and users all over the country.
It depends. The road may be in the local county GIS data. It could be there was enough through traffic with Android phones on it prior to the collapse for google’s algorithm to identify it as a road. It could have been automatically extracted from satellite imagery or it could have been captured by a google car prior to the collapse.

Commercial map makers use a wide variety of techniques like the above to capture road geometry. Finding a change can be harder, but quite frankly it is surprising google didn’t close the road given it would have had zero traffic (good indicator) plus the complaints from users.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
These navigation apps can spot traffic jams and speed traps in real time but they can't capture a bridge that washed out nine years ago?

Back to the drawing board with this shit!

Reactions: EagleHawk
I heard this on the news last night and when they showed the bridge my immediate thought was how was this not closed/permanently barricaded in 9 years??

I think they’re suing the wrong people….sure looks like city/county/state negligence to me.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
You need to rethink your personal definition of what a Darwin Award is. Why wouldn't someone rely on ordinary instructions from Google Maps? The road wasn't marked that the bridge was out. There was no barricade.
Well, Scruddy really ain't that bright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT