ADVERTISEMENT

GOP bill would freeze Iowa minimum wage at $7.25, rescind local increases

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Lawmakers on Wednesday mulled legislation that would freeze Iowa's minimum wage at $7.25 and strip away the ability of local counties and cities to set their own wage limit.

If signed into law, House Study Bill 92 would immediately roll back minimum wage increases approved in Polk, Johnson, Wapello and Linn counties. The bill, which remains in subcommittee, was introduced by Jake Highfill, R-Johnston.

Lawmakers debated the measure in a subcommittee meeting Wednesday morning. The bill declares previous local minimum wage ordinances "void and unenforceable" and bars local governments from addressing a host of other labor issues.

It bans cities or counties from passing ordinances that exceed restrictions under federal or state law regarding leave, hiring practices, employment benefits and scheduling practices.

It also amends the Iowa Civil Rights Act, forbidding any local civil rights ordinances that afford protections beyond those in state and federal law. That would ostensibly ban local governments from approving deeper protections for certain protected classes such as racial minorities or gays and lesbians.

The bill also says that counties and cities may not pass stricter laws regarding the sale or package of consumer merchandise. That would ban cities from passing ordinances banning the use of plastic bags at the grocery store. Dubuque city officials are considering a ban or surcharge on plastic shopping bags to encourage the use of reusable bags or more biodegradable products, the Dubuque Telegraph Herald reported.

Amy Nielsen, a Democratic House member and former North Liberty mayor, called the bill a broad overreach of state authority.

"I'm speaking as a former mayor," she said. "And on behalf of other local elected officials, I would like to say I'm quite frankly offended that you don't trust us to make the decisions for our own community."

In recent years, some cities and states have passed laws requiring employers to provide certain benefits such as sick time pay and paid family leave. Under this bill, such changes could only be made at the Statehouse.

Highfill says his bill isn't taking away local control from counties and cities. Rather, he said, it formalizes what Republicans believe the law has always intended: that local governments do not have the authority to legislate on labor issues such as the minimum wage.

"Contract law is state law or federal law," Highfill said.

In October 2016, after months of sometimes rancorous debate, the Polk County Board of Supervisors voted 4-0 to increase the minimum wage. After several rounds of increases, it would reach $10.75 by 2019, with further increases adjusted for inflation.

County officials blamed congressional and legislative inaction for pushing them to take action on the local level. Tom Hockensmith, the Democratic supervisor who led that effort, often said he hoped the local ordinances popping up across Iowa would prompt the legislature to consider a statewide increase in the minimum wage.

This bill was not what he had in mind.

"To pass a pre-emption bill without an increase in the minimum wage statewide is an embarrassment to our state," he said. "When we know that all the states adjacent except Wisconsin already have a minimum wage higher than us, this is really backward. Like I said, it’s just embarrassing."

Though 29 states have raised their wages above the $7.25 federal minimum, Iowa's minimum wage has remained at $7.25 per hour since 2008.

Lobbyists for the Iowa Association of Business and Industry and the Iowa Restaurant Association said they supported the bill, while representatives of local governments opposed it, saying it was an affront to home rule.

Labor advocates packed the house lounge Wednesday morning to speak out against the measure.

"These people raised the wage because they understood that their people needed a raise in the wage," said John Noble, a member of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement. "For you to counteract that and for some of you to talk about being the party of small, local government,represents sort of for me the deepest of hypocrisy."

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...m-wage-725-rescinds-local-increases/97625588/

I'm not saying that I agree with a minimum wage of $7.25, but I do agree that having a consistent minimum wage for the entire state is a good thing. Keeping track of and complying with all of the local employment ordinances has to be a nightmare for large employers.

Lawmakers on Wednesday mulled legislation that would freeze Iowa's minimum wage at $7.25 and strip away the ability of local counties and cities to set their own wage limit.

If signed into law, House Study Bill 92 would immediately roll back minimum wage increases approved in Polk, Johnson, Wapello and Linn counties. The bill, which remains in subcommittee, was introduced by Jake Highfill, R-Johnston.

Lawmakers debated the measure in a subcommittee meeting Wednesday morning. The bill declares previous local minimum wage ordinances "void and unenforceable" and bars local governments from addressing a host of other labor issues.

It bans cities or counties from passing ordinances that exceed restrictions under federal or state law regarding leave, hiring practices, employment benefits and scheduling practices.

It also amends the Iowa Civil Rights Act, forbidding any local civil rights ordinances that afford protections beyond those in state and federal law. That would ostensibly ban local governments from approving deeper protections for certain protected classes such as racial minorities or gays and lesbians.

The bill also says that counties and cities may not pass stricter laws regarding the sale or package of consumer merchandise. That would ban cities from passing ordinances banning the use of plastic bags at the grocery store. Dubuque city officials are considering a ban or surcharge on plastic shopping bags to encourage the use of reusable bags or more biodegradable products, the Dubuque Telegraph Herald reported.

Amy Nielsen, a Democratic House member and former North Liberty mayor, called the bill a broad overreach of state authority.

"I'm speaking as a former mayor," she said. "And on behalf of other local elected officials, I would like to say I'm quite frankly offended that you don't trust us to make the decisions for our own community."

In recent years, some cities and states have passed laws requiring employers to provide certain benefits such as sick time pay and paid family leave. Under this bill, such changes could only be made at the Statehouse.

Highfill says his bill isn't taking away local control from counties and cities. Rather, he said, it formalizes what Republicans believe the law has always intended: that local governments do not have the authority to legislate on labor issues such as the minimum wage.

"Contract law is state law or federal law," Highfill said.

In October 2016, after months of sometimes rancorous debate, the Polk County Board of Supervisors voted 4-0 to increase the minimum wage. After several rounds of increases, it would reach $10.75 by 2019, with further increases adjusted for inflation.

County officials blamed congressional and legislative inaction for pushing them to take action on the local level. Tom Hockensmith, the Democratic supervisor who led that effort, often said he hoped the local ordinances popping up across Iowa would prompt the legislature to consider a statewide increase in the minimum wage.

This bill was not what he had in mind.

"To pass a pre-emption bill without an increase in the minimum wage statewide is an embarrassment to our state," he said. "When we know that all the states adjacent except Wisconsin already have a minimum wage higher than us, this is really backward. Like I said, it’s just embarrassing."

Though 29 states have raised their wages above the $7.25 federal minimum, Iowa's minimum wage has remained at $7.25 per hour since 2008.

Lobbyists for the Iowa Association of Business and Industry and the Iowa Restaurant Association said they supported the bill, while representatives of local governments opposed it, saying it was an affront to home rule.

Labor advocates packed the house lounge Wednesday morning to speak out against the measure.

"These people raised the wage because they understood that their people needed a raise in the wage," said John Noble, a member of Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement. "For you to counteract that and for some of you to talk about being the party of small, local government,represents sort of for me the deepest of hypocrisy."

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...m-wage-725-rescinds-local-increases/97625588/

How in the hell are the wing nuts going to defend this? Let's keep workers in poverty. Yeah. That's good for everyone. JFC.

How in the hell are the wing nuts going to defend this? Let's keep workers in poverty. Yeah. That's good for everyone. JFC.
Are you kidding? Their whole philosophy is built around low wage labor. They think its great.

Reactions: iarick
One party rule in Iowa has led to major weakening of labor protection, wages, environmental protection and a continuation of Branstad's cluster$$$$ privitazation of Medicare.
I assume gay hating will be next.

One party rule in Iowa has led to major weakening of labor protection, wages, environmental protection and a continuation of Branstad's cluster$$$$ privitazation of Medicare.
I assume gay hating will be next.

Don't forget the personal exemption from vaccinations and no fetal tissue research bills as well!

Meh. Minimum wage is a joke anyway. As a small business owner, in a metro area, employing 20+ people, I don't have a single employee at minimum wage. If that was all I was willing to pay, I would have no employees. The job market is as wide open as I've seen it in many, many years. I challenge you to find a retail or service industry business that isn't hiring, and I guarantee you they aren't hiring at minimum wage.

You all got a 3 page thread declaring that the Dept of Ed is required to save all the illiterates in Mississippi and Louisiana but now the Federal minimum wage isn't good enough and you want local control? Which is it?

This isn't difficult. Both focus on setting minimum level of expenditures - Minimum wage and minimum spending on students.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
You all got a 3 page thread declaring that the Dept of Ed is required to save all the illiterates in Mississippi and Louisiana but now the Federal minimum wage isn't good enough and you want local control? Which is it?
We don't have to be reasonable or consistent, we aren't in charge. Our only job is to piss on you.

Reactions: iarick
Meh. Minimum wage is a joke anyway. As a small business owner, in a metro area, employing 20+ people, I don't have a single employee at minimum wage. If that was all I was willing to pay, I would have no employees. The job market is as wide open as I've seen it in many, many years. I challenge you to find a retail or service industry business that isn't hiring, and I guarantee you they aren't hiring at minimum wage.

The minimum wage isn't about the wage for those who are working. It's about being an entitlement index for some of the programs for those who are not working or the disabled who are at a very low productivity level.

You are correct...if you are working you're making more than minimum anyway. If you think a raise in the MW won't cost you your wrong. It'll cost you more in taxes for welfare.

Again, there are about 4 or 5 counties that hold Iowa's jockstrap when it comes to the state's economy. Sorry that the backwoods shithole Iowa conservative counties can't pay $10 an hour. Now, they want to make Johnson, Polk, and other counties come down to their level because they are throwing a tantrum. Nice.

I'm not saying that I agree with a minimum wage of $7.25, but I do agree that having a consistent minimum wage for the entire state is a good thing. Keeping track of and complying with all of the local employment ordinances has to be a nightmare for large employers.

Why is that?

Are you kidding? Their whole philosophy is built around low wage labor. They think its great.

If you could explain to me how the cost of goods won't go up by raising minimum wage and how that then won't offset said raise and also negatively effect the pocket books of every person in the state, I'll agree with you.

Honestly, I think could make a pretty good case for eliminating a national and state minimum wage and just leave it to the localities. Arbitrary lines are just arbitrary lines and actually take power away from workers. $7.25 or $10 or $15 aren't the same in NYC, Omaha, Santa Fe, Ottumwa, Duluth, etc....but that will be for a different thread on another day. This case is stupid. I yearn for a party interested in small-government conservatism (small c). This move is the worst kind of big government. The state congress sees that it can, therefore it will...attempt to take power away from localities -- in reality, only those localities where they're not the majority opinion.

What's next? A bill to mandate wages to be paid?

Reactions: naturalmwa
If you could explain to me how the cost of goods won't go up by raising minimum wage and how that then won't offset said raise and also negatively effect the pocket books of every person in the state, I'll agree with you.
The same way it has worked every other time. Empirical evidence should guide everything you believe.

The same way it has worked every other time. Empirical evidence should guide everything you believe.

The cost always hits somewhere, but not necessarily in the price consumers pay. Companies hire less or work out cost-efficiencies somewhere else to counter the added labor cost or take less profit or introduce automation or shift more people to part-time work or whatever. There are a lot of ways the added costs get absorbed.

The question really needs to be at the local level -- is the impact of a minimum wage worth it for our area? The answer probably falls on a spectrum -- when the minimum is too low, it's completely pointless. When it's too high, it's too much of a burden and cripples the local economy. That's one big reason why I don't like state/national minimum wages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT