ADVERTISEMENT

GOP lawmakers want Iowa students to sing national anthem daily

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa lawmakers advanced a bill Wednesday that would require public school students to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" each day and require instruction on the words, meaning and history of the national anthem, including how to “love, honor and respect” the song.

The bill, House Study Bill 587, was advanced out of a subcommittee by Republican Reps. Henry Stone of Forest City and Phil Thompson of Boone. Democratic Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown voted against the bill, saying it is unnecessary and a waste of classroom time.

The bill, which said it won’t apply in private schools, would require students and teachers to sing “at least one verse” of the anthem each day. Students and teachers would be allowed to opt out of singing the anthem, but they would be required to stand if able and remain silent while the anthem is sung.

ADVERTISING

Schools would also have to direct students and teachers to sing all four verses of the anthem on “patriotic occasions,” as determined by the local school board.

Multiple speakers at the subcommittee meeting Wednesday said the bill placed onerous requirements on schools and potentially violated the First Amendment by requiring students and teachers to stand during the anthem.

Connie Ryan, executive director of the Interfaith Alliance of Iowa, said she was opposed to the bill “legislating patriotism” and requiring a certain kind of speech at schools.

“It explicitly talks about teaching how to love, honor and respect the national anthem,” she said. “And putting those kind of values on a symbol is simply wrong.”

Dave Daughton, a lobbyist for the School Administrators of Iowa and the Rural School Advocates of Iowa, said much of what is in the bill already is taught in classrooms, but the groups did not support implementing the mandates on schools.

“We promote patriotism as much as possible, we just don’t want to be mandated that all districts have to do it, and have to do it the same way,” he said.

genvelope

Subscribe now and receive a roundup of Iowa politics news sent directly to your inbox.​

Beyond the anthem, the bill would also require social studies instruction in grades 1-12 to include instruction on the “object and principles of the government of the United States, the sacrifices made by the founders of the United States” and “the important contributions made by all who have served in the armed forces since the founding of the United States.”

During the meeting, Cahill led the group of three lawmakers in singing the national anthem before outlining her opposition to the bill. She said she wanted to illustrate “that our Capitol is the perfect place to show patriotism,” but schools should not be mandating displays of patriotism.

She said she was concerned that the bill would mandate speech and asked whether students would be punished if they kneel during the anthem. She also said singing the song every day and teaching its concepts would shorten the time available to teach other topics.

Rep. Henry Stone of Forest City (left), Rep. Phil Thompson of Boone (middle) and Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown (right), sing the national anthem Wednesday during a subcommittee  meeting at the Iowa Capitol in Des Moines. (Caleb McCullough, Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau) Rep. Henry Stone of Forest City (left), Rep. Phil Thompson of Boone (middle) and Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown (right), sing the national anthem Wednesday during a subcommittee meeting at the Iowa Capitol in Des Moines. (Caleb McCullough, Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau)
“The school classroom is not the place for mandating the singing of the national anthem, thus mandating patriotism for students,” she said. “I think that’s something students choose, and it’s something that they learn.”

Stone, the subcommittee chair, said he was supportive of the bill. He noted there could be changes to it as it moves through the lawmaking process.

“I grew up in a household that valued patriotism, that promoted patriotism,” he said. “That’s why I joined as a third-generation military man. … I believe in this bill, I believe that it's something that we can put back into our schools that has added value.”

After passing the subcommittee on Wednesday, the bill, which was proposed by House Education Committee Chair Skyler Wheeler, is eligible for a vote in the full committee.

The Star-Spangled Banner​

According to the National Museum of American History in Washington, the four versus of the national anthem are:

O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,

What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight

O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep

Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,

’Tis the star-spangled banner — O long may it wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,

That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion

A home and a Country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand

Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!

Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land

Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto — “In God is our trust,”

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Hmm. Pledge of Allegiance, standing by your desk with hand over heart and singing along while the National Anthem was played over the loudspeaker and then a moment of silent something-something was standard operating procedure across America for decades.
I survived. Y’all did too, I think.

Hmm. Pledge of Allegiance, standing by your desk with hand over heart and singing along while the National Anthem was played over the loudspeaker and then a moment of silent something-something was standard operating procedure across America for decades.
We had the pledge (and God forbid if you thought about not standing for it in the football coach's homeroom), but I don't think we had the anthem on a daily basis. I do recall as an elementary student on AAA safety patrol having the duty to raise and take down the flag each day, and one of my teachers telling me about the day JFK was assassinated and the patrols lowering it to half mast in the afternoon.

The daily Pledge of Allegiance while looking at the American
Flag at the front of the classroom was standard procedure for
public schools in Iowa. As Freshmen in High School we also
had a required Civics course which taught us about government
on the local, state, and federal level.

Bottom Line: The Civics class was really good and gave us the
basics without any political bias

Fake/forced patriotism is stupid.

Also, the first day this is implemented (if it became law), there’s going to be a handful of students that sit instead of stand as a protest for whatever. Would cost the state thousands of dollars to fight a lawsuit over it.
I'd like to see that protest.

I withdraw my objection to this stupid plan.

Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of the school day was commonplace in the 60s-70s, but just at the elementary school level. I don't recall doing it in junior high or high school. No idea if that continues now at the elementary school level.

Adding more instances of the National Anthem to our daily lives is a bad idea. If anything, we should do it less often so it has more meaning and significance. It's just an irritation at sporting events IMO.

Defend your cult if you must, this is just plain fvcking stupid. GOP really has its priorities straight. JFC.

I welcome any GOP rep to come to my classroom every morning where we force kids to say the pledge every day and they can see for themselves how stupid it is. If anything it causes them to resent the country, not love it. This is after a "moment of silence" is given so kids can have a prayer in the morning. They might have better luck if they put the pledge on a TikTok video for kids to listen to in the morning tied to the latest meme. But hey, at least it's something they can say they are trying to do when they in fact aren't doing anything while in government.

Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of the school day was commonplace in the 60s-70s, but just at the elementary school level. I don't recall doing it in junior high or high school. No idea if that continues now at the elementary school level.

Adding more instances of the National Anthem to our daily lives is a bad idea. If anything, we should do it less often so it has more meaning and significance. It's just an irritation at sporting events IMO.
I'm old enough to remember when they added "under God" to the Pledge.

I'm also old enough to remember when most US money did not have "In God We Trust" on it.

Before then, we trusted the money.

This is just another brick, but I worry that the populist nationalism / MAGA control over the GOP and the other side's continued reaction is going to poison the notion of patriotism in this country.

The millions under the MAGA spell have a perverted concept of what patriotism is about and then there are the millions of people who are repulsed by all things MAGA which could end up including aspects of patriotism as well.

Iowa lawmakers advanced a bill Wednesday that would require public school students to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" each day and require instruction on the words, meaning and history of the national anthem, including how to “love, honor and respect” the song.

The bill, House Study Bill 587, was advanced out of a subcommittee by Republican Reps. Henry Stone of Forest City and Phil Thompson of Boone. Democratic Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown voted against the bill, saying it is unnecessary and a waste of classroom time.

The bill, which said it won’t apply in private schools, would require students and teachers to sing “at least one verse” of the anthem each day. Students and teachers would be allowed to opt out of singing the anthem, but they would be required to stand if able and remain silent while the anthem is sung.

ADVERTISING

Schools would also have to direct students and teachers to sing all four verses of the anthem on “patriotic occasions,” as determined by the local school board.

Multiple speakers at the subcommittee meeting Wednesday said the bill placed onerous requirements on schools and potentially violated the First Amendment by requiring students and teachers to stand during the anthem.

Connie Ryan, executive director of the Interfaith Alliance of Iowa, said she was opposed to the bill “legislating patriotism” and requiring a certain kind of speech at schools.

“It explicitly talks about teaching how to love, honor and respect the national anthem,” she said. “And putting those kind of values on a symbol is simply wrong.”

Dave Daughton, a lobbyist for the School Administrators of Iowa and the Rural School Advocates of Iowa, said much of what is in the bill already is taught in classrooms, but the groups did not support implementing the mandates on schools.

“We promote patriotism as much as possible, we just don’t want to be mandated that all districts have to do it, and have to do it the same way,” he said.

genvelope

Subscribe now and receive a roundup of Iowa politics news sent directly to your inbox.​

Beyond the anthem, the bill would also require social studies instruction in grades 1-12 to include instruction on the “object and principles of the government of the United States, the sacrifices made by the founders of the United States” and “the important contributions made by all who have served in the armed forces since the founding of the United States.”

During the meeting, Cahill led the group of three lawmakers in singing the national anthem before outlining her opposition to the bill. She said she wanted to illustrate “that our Capitol is the perfect place to show patriotism,” but schools should not be mandating displays of patriotism.

She said she was concerned that the bill would mandate speech and asked whether students would be punished if they kneel during the anthem. She also said singing the song every day and teaching its concepts would shorten the time available to teach other topics.

Rep. Henry Stone of Forest City (left), Rep. Phil Thompson of Boone (middle) and Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown (right), sing the national anthem Wednesday during a subcommittee  meeting at the Iowa Capitol in Des Moines. (Caleb McCullough, Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau) Rep. Henry Stone of Forest City (left), Rep. Phil Thompson of Boone (middle) and Rep. Sue Cahill of Marshalltown (right), sing the national anthem Wednesday during a subcommittee meeting at the Iowa Capitol in Des Moines. (Caleb McCullough, Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau)
“The school classroom is not the place for mandating the singing of the national anthem, thus mandating patriotism for students,” she said. “I think that’s something students choose, and it’s something that they learn.”

Stone, the subcommittee chair, said he was supportive of the bill. He noted there could be changes to it as it moves through the lawmaking process.

“I grew up in a household that valued patriotism, that promoted patriotism,” he said. “That’s why I joined as a third-generation military man. … I believe in this bill, I believe that it's something that we can put back into our schools that has added value.”

After passing the subcommittee on Wednesday, the bill, which was proposed by House Education Committee Chair Skyler Wheeler, is eligible for a vote in the full committee.

The Star-Spangled Banner​

According to the National Museum of American History in Washington, the four versus of the national anthem are:

O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,

What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight

O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep

Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,

’Tis the star-spangled banner — O long may it wave

O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,

That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion

A home and a Country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand

Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!

Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land

Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto — “In God is our trust,”

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Important shit.

Back in 8th grade one kid in my Homeroom told the teacher they didn’t belong to a church and he didn’t need the “moment of prayer”. She didn’t argue with him. She just said “well okay use that minute to think about having yourself a great day”.
To his credit he took it to heart.

Sorry to interrupt your day by standing and taking your hat off for a couple of minutes to honor our country.

Yeah, all it is is a couple of minutes of standing with your hat off, no big deal. Of course, if all it is to you is a couple of minutes standing with your hat off, I'm not sure how honored the country should feel by your tribute.

That's the issue with the "it's not a big deal, so just tolerate it" sort of logic

Sorry to interrupt your day by standing and taking your hat off for a couple of minutes to honor our country.
If you want to honor the country so much, just do that at home or get a neat bumper sticker for your car. There's no need for the anthem at sporting events. Especially when someone doesn't "show respect" by standing up, and then a bunch of snowflakes get all pissy about it. It's a silly outdated tradition at sporting events IMO.

Fake/forced patriotism is stupid.

Also, the first day this is implemented (if it became law), there’s going to be a handful of students that sit instead of stand as a protest for whatever. Would cost the state thousands of dollars to fight a lawsuit over it.
My first thought as well. In fact, where my youngest attends HS, I would fully expect a nearly complete (100%) demonstration of defiance, not because they lack patriotism, but because they are intelligent enough to see the flaws in “mandated patriotism” and would take a principled stand to force the school’s hand on this.

If you want to honor the country so much, just do that at home or get a neat bumper sticker for your car. There's no need for the anthem at sporting events. Especially when someone doesn't "show respect" by standing up, and then a bunch of snowflakes get all pissy about it. It's a silly outdated tradition at sporting events IMO.
It's actually not outdated, as it didn't happen in the past. The Armed Forces started paying the NFL, etc to do these sorts of things. They stopped paying a few years back so now the leagues just keep doing it so as to not enrage the nationalist culture warriors.

Reactions: TheCainer and Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT