ADVERTISEMENT

GOP lawmakers want Iowa students to sing national anthem daily

It's actually not outdated, as it didn't happen in the past. The Armed Forces started paying the NFL, etc to do these sorts of things. They stopped paying a few years back so now the leagues just keep doing it so as to not enrage the nationalist culture warriors.
They did it before all high school events while I was growing up too. Haven't been to a high school event in probably 15 years or so though so maybe that stopped.

Reactions: BelemNole
Also think of the poor teachers that have to listen to a bunch of elementary kids who can’t sing for shit.

They let elementary school kids sing the anthem at the Drake games and local minor league games and it’s pretty cringey.

Now having to listen to that every day. Pay teachers more.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Also think of the poor teachers that have to listen to a bunch of elementary kids who can’t sing for shit.

They let elementary school kids sing the anthem at the Drake games and local minor league games and it’s pretty cringey.

Now having to listen to that every day. Pay teachers more.
Teachers listen to little ones singing lots of songs that are not the NA. If you can’t sing you can’t sing. Song doesn’t matter.

I can see them try to make a bunch of 8 thru 12 graders sing the.national them. Good luck with that.

Most just stand there and mouth or mumble. At least my seniors did. No big deal IMO.
But if you have been taught that the very country they live in is evil. This is what you get. People who actually believe that having to sing or say the pledge might actually make them seem conforming to evil. Sent there asses to China or Russia or the Middle East for a while. They'd come back and scream the national anthem at the top of their lungs. F-ing privileged aholes have lost all respect for everything. Maybe they could use some of the stories we listened to about the Great Depression and WW2.

I don’t know how you define true patriotism, but I know it when I see it!

giphy.gif

gettyimages-1230455457-1-_wide-a25974aa028ba722caed733965f956ce6d504927.jpg
“Wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.”

This is a Pepsi from yesterday (sorry OP)...but I'm adding my response because I'm proud of it.

Regarding the singing bill - from the register article:

"The bill would only apply to public schools. Private schools would be exempt from the requirement."

hysterical-laughter.gif

Iowa R's be like this to everybody with teeth in the state of Ioway:

flipping-off.gif

Meanwhile, the Iowa legislature cuts Iowa public school funding to instead fund private school vouchers for the wealthy. Where they cannot require private school kids to sing the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, etc.

Is that correct?

Meanwhile, the Iowa legislature cuts Iowa public school funding to instead fund private school vouchers for the wealthy. Where they cannot require private school kids to sing the national anthem, pledge of allegiance, etc.

Is that correct?
Confused Ryan Reynolds GIF

But if you have been taught that the very country they live in is evil. This is what you get. People who actually believe that having to sing or say the pledge might actually make them seem conforming to evil. Sent there asses to China or Russia or the Middle East for a while. They'd come back and scream the national anthem at the top of their lungs. F-ing privileged aholes have lost all respect for everything. Maybe they could use some of the stories we listened to about the Great Depression and WW2.
Do you think students should be forced to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and/or stand and sing the National Anthem?

At the end of the day I think legislators have much better things to focus on. But substitute “passing an American history and government course with a curriculum designed by xyz (pick your poison)” isn’t that much different. The reality is that a big purpose of public education has been civic formation.

It would be one thing if they were doing this after solving the many many problems this state has. Future generations are going to look back and say... you wasted time mandating students saying the national anthem and did nothing to prevent this shitstorm from occurring?

No, authoritarianism is when the government tells parents what schools they must pay for, what schools their children must attend, and then creates curriculum without parental input and does it's best to hide what is being taught from the parents. That is government authoritarianism.
Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Jingoism and unconstitutional all in one bill.

And of course, the usual suspects are all in favor.

Well fortunately private schools don't have to do this.. see we can give them taxpayer money, and pretend taxpayer money is "your money" to spend (which doesn't apply to anything else though, because reasons), but can't require them to do anything else..

Well fortunately private schools don't have to do this.. see we can give them taxpayer money, and pretend taxpayer money is "your money" to spend (which doesn't apply to anything else though, because reasons), but can't require them to do anything else..
Another thing where they avoid accountability.

Reactions: win1forthe
Excuse me, but “UNPHUQUIN’ BELIEVABLE!

WTF is the Ioway Legislature thinking?

What about “The Internationale” for an encore.....and how about a little “Deutschland Uber Alles” for our Hitler/Nazi/ German friends, too!

Jeeeeebus phuquin’ keeeerist....And this is a “good idea” in whose phuquin’ book?

Nothing teaches patriotism like a little forced fed gruel!

Reactions: Tom Paris
Patently unconstitutional if actually made mandatory. At least until the courts tear up an 80 year old venerated precedent. Justice Jackson's opinion for the Court put it best:

"The case is made difficult not because the principles of its decision are obscure but because the flag involved is our own. Nevertheless, we apply the limitations of the Constitution with no fear that freedom to be intellectually and spiritually diverse or even contrary will disintegrate the social organization. To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds. We can have intellectual individualism and the rich cultural diversities that we owe to exceptional minds only at the price of occasional eccentricity and abnormal attitudes. When they are so harmless to others or to the State as those we deal with here, the price is not too great. But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order.

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us.

We think the action of the local authorities in compelling the flag salute and pledge transcends constitutional limitations on their power and invades the sphere of intellect and spirit which it is the purpose of the First Amendment to our Constitution to reserve from all official control."

West Virginia Bd. of Ed. v. Barnette, 319 US 624 (1943).

We used to walk to school no matter
The weather. If we had a disagreement we settled it with our metal lunch boxes
In the school yard. Once inside we stood
At attention and hand over heart recited
The Pledge. If anyone messes up the paddle
or stick came out. We then listened to the
National Anthem over the intercom.

We used to walk to school no matter
The weather. If we had a disagreement we settled it with our metal lunch boxes
In the school yard. Once inside we stood
At attention and hand over heart recited
The Pledge. If anyone messes up the paddle