ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta love Weber Grills

cmanole

HR Legend
Jun 24, 2002
The one I have now (second one) is close to ten years old and ragged out. Just called them up to order placement burners, flavor bars and a starter. They told me my unit is still under warranty because it's under 10 years old and they are sending the parts for free. I was on the verge of buying a new one but decided to rebuild this one to try to save a little coin. Cannot beat Weber...

The one I have now (second one) is close to ten years old and ragged out. Just called them up to order placement burners, flavor bars and a starter. They told me my unit is still under warranty because it's under 10 years old and they are sending the parts for free. I was on the verge of buying a new one but decided to rebuild this one to try to save a little coin. Cannot beat Weber...

It's really about $50-70 in parts (their wholesale); really cool they honor that warranty 10 yrs out. It's why they are expensive.

Installing burners & starter might take you all of 30 minutes - WAY less than going out to buy another grill and assembling it. Have some extra tie-wraps to re-attach any of the igniter wires you need to move around for access. The tiny ones are all you need

If it's the electric starter box they sent (that sends the juice to the igniters), you MIGHT need new igniters, as well. Those may be under warranty, or you can get them fairly cheap. They come with the wires/connectors, and you will need to re-route those and re-attach with tie wraps to keep them from coming loose.

When you install the new starter box, you should check each igniter is working before running the gas to each of the burners, visually, or try starting each burner individually. If you turn them all on, and one igniter isn't running, you'll get gas buildup that'll make a big 'poof' when the bad one eventually ignites

There ain't many "moving parts" in a grill that require anything more than a screwdriver & some snips (to detach wiring) to fix up.

Other handy upgrade is one of those in-line propane tank level indicators, that are like $10 at Home Depot, if your grill doesn't have a spring-weight indicator.

10 year old grill? Time for a new one bro

10 year old grill? Time for a new one bro
No; well-built Webers and similar models will last almost forever if you take care of them.

Char-Broils and similar will rust-out. Get a good one and maintain it and it's cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, the frame, the body, the hood and even the grates are all good. It's just the burners, the flavor bars and the starter that are gone. I was looking the new 2,500 one. I was about to pull the trigger on that until my epiphany...
weber-natural-gas-grills-67016001-e1_600.jpg

Reactions: Joes Place
Yeah, the frame, the body, the hood and even the grates are all good. It's just the burners, the flavor bars and the starter that are gone. I was looking the new 2,500 one. I was about to pull the trigger on that until my epiphany...
weber-natural-gas-grills-67016001-e1_600.jpg

You can buy burners and flavor bars on the Weber website. They are very easy to replace, just wear gloves to remove the old ones.

Reactions: cmanole
I’m on my second Weber kettle in the last 45 years. I like cooking with charcoal and they last forever. I also have the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Quality counts.

I actually have been looking into purchasing a Weber Master touch Kettle grill. They look great and something you have to get really good at to master compared to a pellet grill.

I got a Weber, one of them kettle things, giant joe, whatever they call it for 75 dolla at wallyworld. I've used it for a season. Good for grilling. Tried smoking in it but failed. Will stick to my pellet pooper. I know @The Tradition is stroking out somewhere due to the lack of "purity" in my approach.

Love the Q's...own 2, one for home one for the cabin. Small footprint (easy to store, doesn't take up a lot of space while doing so), both 10+ years old and haven't had to replace a single thing on them, never grilled a bad piece of meat on either of them.

I got a Weber, one of them kettle things, giant joe, whatever they call it for 75 dolla at wallyworld. I've used it for a season. Good for grilling. Tried smoking in it but failed. Will stick to my pellet pooper. I know @The Tradition is stroking out somewhere due to the lack of "purity" in my approach.

How did you "fail"? I've done some good low and slow smokes on the standard kettle and it worked out fine. Not as good as the PBC or a stick burner, but still a decent job. You actually get better temp control with a properly set-up kettle than you do on the real smokers and I definitely prefer it for shorter smokes, like a pork loin roast.

Reactions: cmanole and GOHOX69
I actually have been looking into purchasing a Weber Master touch Kettle grill. They look great and something you have to get really good at to master compared to a pellet grill.

If you don’t have a Kamado style grill yet, check out the Weber Summit Charcoal. It’ll set you back a few bucks but it’s the best of both kettle and kamado worlds, doesn’t weigh 500 pounds, and may eliminate a grill or 3 from your backyard. I can use lump or briquettes, bury the needle and sear at 900 degrees, dial it in at 350 for spatchcock chicken, or go low and slow for smoking at 225 with little to no adjustment (obviously not to the smoke level of stick burners). At 24”, it is plenty big for a turkey, and it doesn’t take 2 hours to cool down if I overshoot myself temps. I also have a Genesis gas, but lately I only use the side burner to light the chimney for the charcoal.

How did you "fail"? I've done some good low and slow smokes on the standard kettle and it worked out fine. Not as good as the PBC or a stick burner, but still a decent job. You actually get better temp control with a properly set-up kettle than you do on the real smokers and I definitely prefer it for shorter smokes, like a pork loin roast.
I ran out of fuel, daylight and temp. Iowa in late fall. I was making a pork butt. It came out undercooked.

I ran out of fuel, daylight and temp. Iowa in late fall. I was making a pork butt. It came out undercooked.

Always allow more time than you think you'll need and have a strategy for adding more fuel during the cook. Weber sells a grate with wings that flip up so you can add more charcoal or wood chunks without having to remove the whole grate.

I've got a 20 year old Weber Silver "A" that's going to be ready for rebuild number (3) here in a couple years,.. Weber makes a great product, and either stocks or will fabricate parts for anything they've ever made...

Always allow more time than you think you'll need and have a strategy for adding more fuel during the cook. Weber sells a grate with wings that flip up so you can add more charcoal or wood chunks without having to remove the whole grate.

I actually did purchase that thanks to your recommendation and I do have an insert which allows you to put coal and wood on one side, then liquid, then an area where you can keep the meats. Truth be told, I bet it will work fine and kick ass. I just used it too late in the year here at Iowa and between the sun going down at 4pm, the cold etc it was a hot mess. I will try it in the spring and summer. I do have some chunk wood I got so I will try that. You're like the barbecque guru so I listen to your advice :)

I bought a used weber gas grill at a yard sale in IC ~2008 for $75. Had only been used a couple times. Just last summer I replaced the burners/grates/starter/flavor bars and did a deep clean (had never done that in previous 12 years). Total cost of parts was 125 I believe. Still hasn't needed a fuel hose. When I was looking up serial number, I saw that it was made 2003. I'm hoping to get another 20 years out of it.

Still love the new Traeger, but enjoy the convenience of the weber for chicken, burgers, veggies, etc. May add a stick burner or WSM to the arsenal at some point.

I bought a used weber gas grill at a yard sale in IC ~2008 for $75. Had only been used a couple times. Just last summer I replaced the burners/grates/starter/flavor bars and did a deep clean (had never done that in previous 12 years). Total cost of parts was 125 I believe. Still hasn't needed a fuel hose. When I was looking up serial number, I saw that it was made 2003. I'm hoping to get another 20 years out of it.

Still love the new Traeger, but enjoy the convenience of the weber for chicken, burgers, veggies, etc. May add a stick burner or WSM to the arsenal at some point.
My advice on the traeger is to try burgers on it. Do supersmoke for like 15 minutes at 185, then crank it up to 500, and do about 7 minutes per side. I've been having them with Jack Stack bbq sauce. Divine.

Reactions: JWolf74 and cmanole
Jumbo Joe Premium. That would be a difficult unit to do some smoking. You could smoke on it but it would be more difficult than a 22" kettle.

Or just finish it in the oven set at 240. After several hours of taking in smoke the meat isn't going to take in anymore. When you run into this situation in the future just finish it in the oven.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT