ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Kim Reynolds: 'Iowans are going to be very happy' with future income tax cuts

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
DES MOINES — Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said Monday she was in talks with legislative and industry leaders about further reducing Iowa’s income tax rates in the upcoming legislative session.
Reynolds promised another round of income tax cuts when she announced in September the state ended the fiscal year with a $1.83 billion budget surplus.
Speaking with reporters on Monday, Reynolds said she wants to make sure any tax reductions put in place will be sustainable in the long term.

“We’re spending a lot of time looking at the environment, watching what’s happening with inflation, and the impact that it’s having on our businesses in the state of Iowa,” she said.

Reynolds pointed to the surplus and the taxpayer relief fund, a separate fund that ended last year with $2.74 billion, as evidence that Iowa is collecting too much in taxes.

“We’ve got money there, and we’re going to turn it back to Iowans, and we need to be more competitive,” she said.
Reynolds and Republican leaders passed a tax overhaul in 2022 that set individual income taxes on a path to a flat 3.9% in 2026. Corporate income taxes will fall to a flat 5.5% by 2028 if revenue from corporate taxes hits certain benchmarks each year.

The law also eliminated the state tax on retirement income.

“I think Iowans are going to be very happy, early projections look really well,” Reynolds said. “(Iowans) are going to be happy with where we’re going to be able to go next year.”

Reynolds said she would have more details about the plan in her Condition of the State address in January. Iowa’s 2024 legislative session starts Jan. 8.
At a Cato Institute conference in February, Reynolds said her goal is to eliminate the state income tax by the end of her current term.

Iowa lawmakers did not make any changes to the state income tax during this year’s legislative session, but they passed a property tax law that constrained property tax growth and provided at least $100 million in property tax relief. The law passed with bipartisan support.

Republican legislative leaders have said they plan to pass further tax cuts next year. In a statement after Iowa’s budget surplus was announced in September, Senate Majority Leader Jack Whitver called for “bigger and bolder income tax cuts.”

“As long as I am Majority Leader, the Senate will continue to reduce taxes on Iowans and in the 2024 Legislative Session we will again work with Governor Reynolds and the House to achieve that goal,” Whitver said.
Legislative Democrats have warned that further income tax cuts will benefit large corporations and the wealthy at the expense of low-income and middle-class Iowans.

“While Gov. Reynolds is again slashing corporate taxes and promising more giveaways to come, middle-class families still aren’t getting ahead,” Iowa Sen. Janet Peterson, the ranking member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said in September.

You will pay more tax somewhere else, guaranteed. Higher sales tax, property tax something…Tge government still needs money to function.

Yep. The income tax can be targeted to those who can afford to pay the most (ie rich people). Raising other taxes, like sales taxes, target those who can't afford to pay. Considering all Republicans care about is their own money, and not actual people, that makes sense.

The “tax game” is a game… the tax dollars will come from somewhere…any cut in @incone taxes@ means a rise in another tax to balance ur out… the alternative is to cut services and please tell me what services currently rendered can be reduced?
Joel - Is it your premise that the government should be ever growing, providing more and more "services"? Nothing the government runs is efficient or cost effective so why are you in favor of giving more? Government needs OUT of people's lives. Iowa is doing very well despite what this thread has to offer.

With this money, Iowa should minimize taxing their citizens while also better funding mental health resources, public land and parks, water quality, and improving public education to pay higher salaries to educate our children. I’m a conservative and we can’t cut to the point that we are getting nothing in return for our investments and that’s where we are. Kim needs someone to talk to her about investing in these priorities to make Iowa a better place to live.

Joel - Is it your premise that the government should be ever growing, providing more and more "services"? Nothing the government runs is efficient or cost effective so why are you in favor of giving more? Government needs OUT of people's lives. Iowa is doing very well despite what this thread has to offer.

People want good government services, but don't want to pay for them.

It is my premise that government services will always be needed…and they will always cost more. Iowa is doing well?? How do you know? Where’s the auditing? Where’s the financing for mental health that Kim promised? Where’s the support for education and the recent schools? Where is my clean ground water? Iowa has many questions that begged to be answered…just they will never get addressed by Kim and the GOP dominated legislature.
Again… what taxes will be increased to support a $0 state income tax? Income taxes currently furnish about 45% of the state’s general fund.

Yep. The income tax can be targeted to those who can afford to pay the most (ie rich people). Raising other taxes, like sales taxes, target those who can't afford to pay. Considering all Republicans care about is their own money, and not actual people, that makes sense.
This. Getting rid of income tax is much more regressive for the middle and lower class, but conservative people in those brackets didn't pay attention in school and continue to vote against their own best interests.

What kind of sniveling miser pours over state tax?

Lots of the people complaining spend much more on lottery tickets, beer and smokes.

We already pay for marginal government services because we have low expectations for government employees. There's no need to throw more money at this until we fix employee performance.
Weren’t you a public employee?

For starters, don't give public money to private schools.
I give taxpayer money to public schools and have no part in them. I’d much rather put my taxpayer money towards a kid’s tuition to a private school so they can get a quality education than throw my money away to failing public school system. Do the math on what a taxpayer pays for a public school’s building, teachers, maintenance, benefits... My kid’s would never go to public school, I should be exempt of paying a dime.

I give taxpayer money to public schools and have no part in them. I’d much rather put my taxpayer money towards a kid’s tuition to a private school so they can get a quality education than throw my money away to failing public school system. Do the math on what a taxpayer pays for a public school’s building, teachers, maintenance, benefits... My kid’s would never go to public school, I should be exempt of paying a dime.
So because you don't believe in public schools, they should be gutted? I don't believe in Reynolds. Or her staff. Or most of the Iowa legislation. So I should be exempt from paying a dime towards them?

So because you don't believe in public schools, they should be gutted? I don't believe in Reynolds. Or her staff. Or most of the Iowa legislation. So I should be exempt from paying a dime towards them?
Did I say they should be gutted? They have plenty of money. I completely disagree with Kim on this and almost everything, I don’t want to turn private schools into public schools. Please, stay away. I just don’t see any need for more public school funding. It’s not the ****ing schools, it’s the students. Tell me where the monetary need is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT