ADVERTISEMENT

Great read for wrestling fans of all ages

WWDMHawkeye

HR Heisman
Nov 13, 2014
If you're an old-timer, this will be nostalgic. If you're a youngster, it will give you a flavor of Iowa wrestling around the time when the dynasty was born. If you just appreciate great literature, this piece was written by one of the great American authors of our time, John Irving, who happened to have been a student at the famed U of I Writers' Workshop.

http://www.win-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GorgeousDan_Esquire041973.pdf

If you're an old-timer, this will be nostalgic. If you're a youngster, it will give you a flavor of Iowa wrestling around the time when the dynasty was born. If you just appreciate great literature, this piece was written by one of the great American authors of our time, John Irving, who happened to have been a student at the famed U of I Writers' Workshop.

http://www.win-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GorgeousDan_Esquire041973.pdf
Do not usually reply, however, guess I'm one of the old timers as I was there that day in the old field house. So many memories; indoor baseball practise on the dirt at the west end, basketball practise on the varsity court, even HS indoor track meets and an indoor championship......but ALSO Dan on the mat like no one else before or since.

Do not usually reply, however, guess I'm one of the old timers as I was there that day in the old field house. So many memories; indoor baseball practise on the dirt at the west end, basketball practise on the varsity court, even HS indoor track meets and an indoor championship......but ALSO Dan on the mat like no one else before or since.
Me, too, bb. We used to play pick-up hoops in the Fieldhouse all summer long (probably blasphemy on this board, but true). Used to hang out with Tyrone Dye (that name ring any bells for any old-timers?), former Iowa D-lineman under Bob Commings. Super guy.

And of course, used to wrestle with the Iowa greats from the 70's way up top in the fabled Iowa wrestling room on the top floor. Tons of great memories. It was a special place and a special time.

Reactions: bbwretler
Me, too, bb. We used to play pick-up hoops in the Fieldhouse all summer long (probably blasphemy on this board, but true). Used to hang out with Tyrone Dye (that name ring any bells for any old-timers?), former Iowa D-lineman under Bob Commings. Super guy.

And of course, used to wrestle with the Iowa greats from the 70's way up top in the fabled Iowa wrestling room on the top floor. Tons of great memories. It was a special place and a special time.
I even age you...pick up BB games between the football and baseball team. Played against, Silas McKinney, Eddie Podalak, Ken Norton, Dennis Greene, Mike Cilek......

I spent the summer of '82 in Iowa City. Occasionally went to the fieldhouse to hang out, lift, shoot baskets. One day I was sitting on some bleachers and a mat was on the floor. Two guys walk onto the empty mat and start working on takedowns, and I realize that it's Gable and Randy Lewis. I was stunned and felt privileged watching.

R.I.P Tyrone

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

So, who threw the knife?

Last edited:
thanks for sharing. some of you Iowans may know, others may not, but U of Iowa has one of the finest Creative Writing programs in the country.

Reactions: Bkcntry-Hawk
I spent the summer of '82 in Iowa City. Occasionally went to the fieldhouse to hang out, lift, shoot baskets. One day I was sitting on some bleachers and a mat was on the floor. Two guys walk onto the empty mat and start working on takedowns, and I realize that it's Gable and Randy Lewis. I was stunned and felt privileged watching.
So who won????

Reactions: Mendoza77
Does anyone else find it ironic that a Sanderson is the first wrestler besides Gable himself in this article? :)

Also, I have fond memories as a junior high and high school kid watching both practices and meets in the Fieldhouse. Loved watching big meets there. SOOO loud. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT