ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest guitar solo of all time....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Okay, I always hated using the word "solo" to describe what I'm talking about.

Almost every classic rock song has a "guitar break" where the lead guitarist shows off his guitar chops in a musical way. It's not a "solo" (which means he's playing by himself) but that's what everyone calls it.

Anyway, pet peeves aside, what's your opinion on the greatest guitar break of all time?

Me personally?

I always thought the guitar work on Led Zep's Stairway to Heaven was both the most technically-brilliant and the most musically-perfect guitar breaks ever, and even today, professional musicians struggle to duplicate Jimmy Page's masterpiece.

You can see Jimmy thinking, "this guy isn't quite getting it right" in this video.... 4:50 mark.

Last edited:
If we’re including live performances then I submit this masterpiece by Jimi. The 3 1/2 minute guitar break starting at about the 2:30 mark is simply magnificent.

Last edited:
I think about this all the time. I don't count Let There Be Rock or Orion because there are multiple solos in the songs. I used to say Wake Up Dead by Megadeth, but again multiple solos.

So I now choose Wasted Years by Iron Maiden.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Personal tastes differ of course. Some people like chops. Some like speed. Some like a mixture of those with enormous popularity of the song. My point is, nobody is really "wrong or right" with their opinions.

Me personally, I've always thought the ending solo of David Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb" fits in the context of a song better than anything else I've ever heard.

It's the most emotional piece of music I've ever heard. Just...gut wrenching emotion pouring out in a guitar solo. Absolute perfection. And what's amazing is through the years he added to it, polished it...and made it even better.

Just rips my heart out, every time I hear it.

Always loved watching Eric Johnson perform “Cliffs of Dover” as it’s an absolutely incredibly skillful performance. Great song starts about 2:15, but stellar guitar performance both before and after the intro.

Reactions: h-hawk
Personal tastes differ of course. Some people like chops. Some like speed. Some like a mixture of those with enormous popularity of the song. My point is, nobody is really "wrong or right" with their opinions.

Me personally, I've always thought the ending solo of David Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb" fits in the context of a song better than anything else I've ever heard.

It's the most emotional piece of music I've ever heard. Just...gut wrenching emotion pouring out in a guitar solo. Absolute perfection. And what's amazing is through the years he added to it, polished it...and made it even better.

Nailed it!

I think "Time" by Pink Floyd is also amazing.

And here, the solo is the beginning of the song, and a double solo to boot, which leads into the crashing intro. I get goose bumps when I hear this cranked up. Nothin' fancy, just power and melody rolled into one.

kEMLlBU.jpg
My brother is pressuring me into giving one of my guitars to his nephew. The kid is alright but I’m not sure I want to give him my 78 hamer. It needs some work but it plays so nice.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT