ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Davis press conference

David1979

HR Legend
Oct 17, 2013
First thing he says: Biggest deficiency on offense is... penalties?!

Says passing game sucks because of chemistry.

Doesn't say they will use up tempo but they will look at it.

Looking at ways to get Akrum and Leshun on the field at the same time.

Says analytics won't help them because it has never thrown a block...

Boyle working hard on slant routes but not their yet (not a direct quote)

In the understatment of the year he says Beathard has taken some hits.

A gag inducing line about how he goes to work trying to do the best he can each day

Says Falconer is looking better in practice ( had been injured for awhile)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Return
I can't stand his style, his system, or his game plans. I said that when he was hired and all through last year, and last game when they scored nearly 50. Even when it works I hate it.

And he isn't getting it done with Beathard.

I really, really hope this is his last year. There are some good offensive minds out there that would still fit in Kirk's approach.

I can't stand his style, his system, or his game plans. I said that when he was hired and all through last year, and last game when they scored nearly 50. Even when it works I hate it.

I really, really hope this is his last year. There are some good offensive minds out there that would still fit in Kirk's approach.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. Just don't think his offense works especially trying to mesh it with the zone running game.

Agree 100%. I do think there are plenty of more creative OC's out there who could come into IC and do a better job. Iowa's offense seems to be about timing and making split second decisions which way to cut and where CJ is going to throw the ball, etc. And it appears only upper classmen seem to somewhat grasp it. Maybe, just maybe Iowa should consider not running such complicated schemes. Find speed and get them the ball.

Reactions: David1979
Did he only take questions from reporters seated to the far left and right of the room?

Those pass charts that get posted each week drive me crazy.

I despise mid-season coaching moves, but getting rid of GD and handing reigns to anyone might salvage CJ.

Just a couple months ago posters were arguing him possibly the GOAT qb at Iowa, and now look.

Plenty of time to fully integrate his system here. Plenty of time to recruit his kind of player. You have to say it has been unsuccessful. Time to move on.

Even last year the offense struggled at times. When they were "clicking" that still had to pick up an endless number of 3rd downs in each game. Very few explosive plays.

Reactions: amahawk

Amen! His system is not working here at Iowa. I pray that KF moves on and looks elsewhere after this year. I realize GD was a one hit wonder at Texas, but every other season he has been less than par. His inability to change is whats most frustrating to me. He never makes adjustments and he never tries anything new. His passing scheme is awful. God I hope KF moves on and finds another O-Coordinator.

First thing he says: Biggest deficiency on offense is... penalties?!

A gag inducing line about how he goes to work trying to do the best he can each day

Says Falconer is looking better in practice ( had been injured for awhile)

How come I get the feeling Boyle will never be quite good enough to see the field for many meaningful plays?

The only reason Texas won with GD there was the enormous talent they could haul in year after year. they really should have been destroying more teams. this guy is nothing but A TON of dead weight. Has to change!

I don't think getting rid of GD is fully the answer while I agree that he has been horrible it is KF who picks who runs his offense and decides what schemes to run. While I believe KOK had a little more freedom I still think most decisions will go through KF no matter who we get at this point in time. The only people i see him giving a longer play calling leash to is his son or he brings back KOK

Boyle is working hard on slants, but not there yet... WTF? That made me laugh AT the program I love, and I laughed hard... probably haven't had that kind of laugh about the Hawks since this happened:

ioWAT.0.gif

I don't think getting rid of GD is fully the answer while I agree that he has been horrible it is KF who picks who runs his offense and decides what schemes to run. While I believe KOK had a little more freedom I still think most decisions will go through KF no matter who we get at this point in time. The only people i see him giving a longer play calling leash to is his son or he brings back KOK

The only way to fix this is to get rid of Kirk. do you really think he is going to lose Greg Davis for a young innovative thinker? no way Kirk would even entertain that thought. Kirk is who he is, this is not going to change.

I am just tired of watching boring football. Kirk has become the todd lickliter of football. heck I have even resorted to watching games the same way I used to for basketball. I watch the first drive and if we mess that up you know it's gonna be a long day. after that I wait until after I know the outcome before watching the game on DVR. of course I fast forward though all the boring stuff. at least I don't waste 3 hours of my day

lol at all of the idiots that think the problem is Davis or CJ.

I want to make it clear that I agree with this sentiment as well. But here's the thing about it - Kirk ought to know that if he fires Davis, it buys him some time and it also allows him to either put true faith in a new OC (I have my doubts) or at least go back to a more vertical KOK offense. This horizontal stuff is so silly, especially if you don't have a bunch of 5-star speed guys running it, which Iowa quite honestly never will.

Either way, if Ferentz allows a new OC to truly run an offense his way, or even if he just went back to a KOK style offense, we'd be better. We *MIGHT* be more exciting. We would probably have more recruits at least somewhat interested in being a part of it. And then maybe the fans would show a bit more interest in attending games too. Just 1 change could provide all of these things. I grant that it also could be the same old crap, in which case it was at least worth a try, and did no harm.

One other thing, Davis certainly IS part of the problem if he's going to say ridiculously silly things like "Boyle is working hard on slants, but he's not there yet".

This reminds me of the Powell quotes about how he was still learning the playbook, learning how to block downfield, etc. Come on... with some guys, you can simply say "you're the bottle cap, run 10 steps and turn around"... coaches don't need to insult us in their press conferences when the poopshow on the field is already insulting enough.

But in case I'm reading this wrong, I really wish Ryan Boyle the best with his hard work on slants this week. I hope we can see him nail a slant route for 4 yards sometime this year! Maybe what Davis meant to say is "Ryan keeps running slants to the middle of the field, whereas I want him to work harder on slants to the sideline!"

Ummm are we missing the elephant in the room? GD is the sacrificial lamb here. Be prepared for the January 'retirement' then the smarmy press conference where KF jabs at fans clamoring for a change and then announces BF who then talks about a need to change it up, open it up etc. The biggest wrinkle is if a national guy sneaks into the conference and asks why the line and running game have underperformed. Press conference over.

What was the context around his response about analytics? Is he saying they don't even entertain the thought of using analytics, or is he saying that analytics isn't going to be a single solution?

Even those that are heavy into analytics will tell you that you shouldn't rely on it alone and that you need to combine analytics with the human element of scouting and coaching. So in that sense, I see where he might be coming from. On the other hand, if he's saying that the offensive staff completely shuns analytics, that just seems antiquated and uneducated.

I want to make it clear that I agree with this sentiment as well. But here's the thing about it - Kirk ought to know that if he fires Davis, it buys him some time and it also allows him to either put true faith in a new OC (I have my doubts) or at least go back to a more vertical KOK offense. This horizontal stuff is so silly, especially if you don't have a bunch of 5-star speed guys running it, which Iowa quite honestly never will.

Either way, if Ferentz allows a new OC to truly run an offense his way, or even if he just went back to a KOK style offense, we'd be better. We *MIGHT* be more exciting. We would probably have more recruits at least somewhat interested in being a part of it. And then maybe the fans would show a bit more interest in attending games too. Just 1 change could provide all of these things. I grant that it also could be the same old crap, in which case it was at least worth a try, and did no harm.
I'm old enough to remember the KOK years and there was possibly more posters on here wanting his head than Greg Davis. KOK actually had the balls to stand up to Ferentz on a couple of occasions. Now people are bashing Davis about his tempo. Davis would love to get more snaps in. Ferentz won't allow it.

He is all about limiting plays and keeping his team in the game. Ferentz neuters any offensive coordinator that walks through the doors. Everyone needs to get it through their heads that we could hire a new coordinator every year and it will be the same thing.

I would like a younger more innovative mind, one that Kirk would actually let flourish. The problem being is whether Kirk would allow such a thing.

I agree time to bring someone else in. Davis is just so vanilla, stale and uncreative. Wisconsin has shown last 5-6 years with same type of philosophy on offense on how you can win and still be effective and even in our style can mix it up with some wrinkles and still have an effective passing game too. Great example was against Ohio St 2 weeks ago. Ran end around least 5-6 times until OSU proved that they could stop it which also opened up passing game for them and faking it and give to the RB. Davis just reminds me of that stubborn person who is determined to make a square peg fit in a round hole even though you can tell it isn't working.

I've harped on one point that is still mind boggling to me. Davis in 60 games coaching here has had 2 300 yd games of passing offense. Ball St and Wisconsin 14' season. Amazing CJ most likely will finish his Iowa career with zero games of 300 yds passing.

The penalty thing is hard to argue against. Daniels had that run in the NDSU game that would have ended with a score and probable victory. Wasn't there something in the Wisconsin game too (didn't get to watch)?

Changes won't be made when the season is 2/3 over. If you were going to make changes you would do it after you lose to a Division 2 school. They are going to stay with what they have now. KF is trying to coast to 6-6 or 7-5 and go to a bowl game. Just like basketball tries to make the tournament and then it's regarded as a successful season, KF thinks a bowl makes a successful season.

Think we had a long touchdown called back against Northwestern as well, don't remember anything in the Wisconsin game other than a timeout that was used to stop a delay of game where McCarron may have scored a touchdown on a quick slant

David Raih....would be great hire IMO. Not sure if he would be ready for OC, we will probably see BF as OC and I think he would do a nice job and bring in David Raih has coached QB's, WR, and now OL.

Reactions: HawkOn15
I cant really see GD going much further than a year or two. This could be his last.
Davis is scheduled to make more than two million dollars in the next three years. I don't see him walking away from this job voluntarily. The only way he leaves is if Barta puts the heat on Kirk to get more "sexy".

Should have made a drinking game for this interview for any time T. Smith or Krieger Coble is mentioned you'd take a shot. Would have at least been enjoyable if that were the case.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Well, you can give them credit for consistency. A Davis presser is apparently just as hard hitting and insightful about the program as when KF does them.

David Raih....would be great hire IMO. Not sure if he would be ready for OC, we will probably see BF as OC and I think he would do a nice job and bring in David Raih has coached QB's, WR, and now OL.

Jesus, I'd hope we can do better.

No offense to him or any other completely unproven assistant, but there are same great OC/OC experience out there to poach that would still fit within KF's overall scheme.

Jesus, I'd hope we can do better.

No offense to him or any other completely unproven assistant, but there are same great OC/OC experience out there to poach that would still fit within KF's overall scheme.
Maybe so, however, I think BF is an up and coming coach and will be very sought after from outside programs, especially as a position coach. Moved up very quickly and was well regarded by the best NFL coach/organization in New England. I also think David Raih is an up and coming young coach that will also be highly sought after. I think BF would be a great fit because has some of his father's good qualities but at the same time is very different in ways that most people complain about KF. BF is a bit more vocal/candid in interviews, appears to not have a problem disagreeing with KF-even publically, etc. Not to mention if he ends up being successful he will stay because he is an Iowa guy. Do not let your disdain for KF blind the fact that BF is actually well beyond his years as a young coach and would probably do very well anywhere he goes.
If we could get Raih to coach QB's-did so at Texas Tech and also being around Paker's organization-you know Rodgers isn't too bad and Green Bays offense historically is pretty good, keep BF as line coach and we have ourselves a pretty good, young staff on the offensive side along side Kennedy-keep texas ties, woods at TE coach, and KF would also still be highly involved with the young new ideas would be a good fit IMO.

I'm in favor of replacing Davis. Iowa's offense has badly staggered since the loss of VandeBerg. You can't have an offense collapse because of one player. Also agree with Pepperman that the comment about Boyle is painfully pathetic.

Reactions: hwk23
First thing he says: Biggest deficiency on offense is... penalties?
892942c3b19235f55a1ba5c252925f4c.jpg

405161.jpg

mj9k6.jpg

05055d0e9442e952c6e8fe5ae24b48baf7f4b983dc7ceac53b6d0f5c4579c45a.jpg

h3wfq.jpg

Thats+why+we+keep+getting+hurt+_b2f22b7b71a46f2db4330466a419fd2c.jpg

DO-YOU-THINK-YOU39RE-FUNNY-from-now-on-I39ll-just-call-you-joker-meme-20380.jpg

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT