ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Davis press conference

I'm in favor of replacing Davis. Iowa's offense has badly staggered since the loss of VandeBerg. You can't have an offense collapse because of one player. Also agree with Pepperman that the comment about Boyle is painfully pathetic.
I agree, although I understand the the OC is probably the most scrutinized position in all of football (right behind HC of course). I mean all of a sudden we have people calling for a rebirth of KOK, my god this page was filled with fire KOK threads for years and now look (probably same thing would have happened if we fired KF before last year). But with that being said, I am not sure what GD brings to the table, was hoping Texas connection would work in our favor but not so much so far and its not like he is a young enthusiastic coach that brings a new element to the staff. We have plenty of vet coaches with Parker, Morgan, KF and Kennedy is pretty seasoned as well. Wallace, BF, and Woods balances that pretty well, but just seems like our offense is stale and even worse I have yet to figure out what we want to have for an identity?

Should have made a drinking game for this interview for any time T. Smith or Krieger Coble is mentioned you'd take a shot. Would have at least been enjoyable if that were the case.

It's insulting the number of times he referenced smith and HKC as an excuse for our offensive issues, as if those guys were all Americans and impossible to replace. it's called recruiting and having a roster that has talent and depth that can sustain the loss of two undrafted free agents. We all knew going into this year our WR position severely lacked talent and depth and the same could be said about TE beyond kittle. It's just an example of poor roster management and recruiting at the WR position and the fact we aren't loaded at TE is even a bigger indictment on this staffs shortcomings. Considering the number of TE's we've sent to the NFL the past 20 years, it's remarkable how little talent and depth we have at that position. But hey, that's football and we're just little ole Iowa, were led to believe we should be happy with an above avg year every five and a roster full of guys that work hard.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I'm in favor of replacing Davis. Iowa's offense has badly staggered since the loss of VandeBerg. You can't have an offense collapse because of one player. Also agree with Pepperman that the comment about Boyle is painfully pathetic.
It was stagnent before MVB went down.

Just curious, since I don't pay attention to OCs from other teams very much, can anyone name a worse OC? I don't think so, but just curious. It would really be funny if someone actually was worse than GDGD. If so, this is who Captain Mediokirk would hire in GDGD's place just so he can continue the trend of getting worse and worse OCs.

It was stagnent before MVB went down.

It's been stagnant since GD came here.

Outside of last year when the offense (stats-wise) was merely average, Iowa's offensive rankings have consistently been towards the bottom of the entire FBS subdivision for his entire tenure. Makes you wonder what PP's defense would look like if they weren't on the field for 70% of the game like they were against the Badgers because the offense hasn't shown the ability to consistently sustain a drive under the GD system.

My TX coworkers couldn't believe it when he was hired by Iowa and basically everything negative they said regarding the asinine playcalling and personnel management has been nearly spot on. Point in case - it's no secret that the wideouts are our weakest position this year, especially so after MV went down. 3rd and short and what does GD call up? Shotgun with an empty backfield and a pass to a route that is a yard short of the sticks... Combined with his absolute refusal to take shots down the field or dial up any play action when teams like NDSU are completely selling out against the run is absolutely maddening.

With regards to his other comments, specifically his dismissal of analytics...

You can argue whether or not analytics are helpful - personally I feel that they give you some additional useful information and you can't argue with the success that people like Theo Epstein has had using them. The apparent refusal by GD to at least consider something outside of his comfort zone to me speaks more about his general stubbornness than anything. Anymore it just seems like he just keeps beating his head against the wall doing the same thing over and over and over again despite getting the same results because - hey it worked once when he had Vince Young. Maybe that's why he gets along so well with KF...

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
I can't stand his style, his system, or his game plans. I said that when he was hired and all through last year, and last game when they scored nearly 50. Even when it works I hate it.

And he isn't getting it done with Beathard.

I really, really hope this is his last year. There are some good offensive minds out there that would still fit in Kirk's approach.

Yeah, if we're stuck with Ferentz for a decade it doesn't mean we have to be stuck with GDGD.

there are same great OC/OC experience out there to poach that would still fit within KF's overall scheme.

f101d3949687d5f99b235e594f43cbec6ddf4ef1.jpg

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT