ADVERTISEMENT

Grocery stores only had a 1.2% profit margin last year.

shaking still life GIF by jjjjjohn

I use to work for a company that sold to grocery stores. Always knew their margins were thin.

Also stores like HyVee seem to go out of their way to increase their own costs unnecessarily.

Grocery stores also sometimes charge for space on the shelf, not sure how that’s factored in.

Always has been. I worked for Hy-Vee for years. Margins were always around one percent, some items had higher margins, some like bread and milk they would actually even take a loss on. That’s why you see them try to have these high dollar margin departments around the store. The brands and Food manufacturing companies are the one with the price gouging.

I don't think a lot of American's really are going to make their choice in November based on this or any other outrage the right puts out. For me this November I am a single issue voter, and that issue is who I trust with the power of the presidency. Period.

I long for the days where political debates were about the policies and platforms. I long for the days where the VPs spelling of a vegetable was considered almost scandalous. I long for the days where any hint, or perceived hint, of unethical, immoral or criminal behavior was disqualifying in the eyes of the voters. I long for the days where even a white lie by elected officials was fact checked, and they were shamed for it. We are a long way from that today, and I want to get back to that and that. Harris has never threatened to abuse her power and Trump has taken advantage of it at every turn. So come November, its an easy choice on who I trust with power and dignity of the most powerful job in the world. Outside of that, headlines like the ones you post are just noise and aren't likely to change any minds.

I don't think a lot of American's really are going to make their choice in November based on this or any other outrage the right puts out. For me this November I am a single issue voter, and that issue is who I trust with the power of the presidency. Period.

I long for the days where political debates were about the policies and platforms. I long for the days where the VPs spelling of a vegetable was considered almost scandalous. I long for the days where any hint, or perceived hint, of unethical, immoral or criminal behavior was disqualifying in the eyes of the voters. I long for the days where even a white lie by elected officials was fact checked, and they were shamed for it. We are a long way from that today, and I want to get back to that and that. Harris has never threatened to abuse her power and Trump has taken advantage of it at every turn. So come November, its an easy choice on who I trust with power and dignity of the most powerful job in the world. Outside of that, headlines like the ones you post are just noise and aren't likely to change any minds.
Check This Out GIF

Harris never abused her power? You might want to fact check that

Now do Tyson, Kraft, etc.

PepsiCo gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2024 was $50.115B, a 3.76% increase year-over-year. PepsiCo annual gross profit for 2023 was $49.59B, a 8.24% increase from 2022. PepsiCo annual gross profit for 2022 was $45.816B, a 8.06% increase from 2021.

CocaCola gross profit for the twelve months ending March 31, 2024 was $27.636B, a 9.38% increase year-over-year. CocaCola annual gross profit for 2023 was $27.234B, a 8.92% increase from 2022. CocaCola annual gross profit for 2022 was $25.004B, a 7.32% increase from 2021.

Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2023 was $39.246B, a 3.2% increase from 2022. Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2022 was $38.03B, a 2.51% decline from 2021. Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2021 was $39.01B, a 9.27% increase from 2020.

Kraft Heinz gross profit for the twelve months ending March 31, 2024 was $9.056B, a 9.06% increase year-over-year. Kraft Heinz annual gross profit for 2023 was $8.926B, a 9.9% increase from 2022. Kraft Heinz annual gross profit for 2022 was $8.122B, a 6.45% decline from 2021.

I'd rather Kamala's team review the entire food chain and identify the worst offenders creating the excessive price hikes vs the easy "grocery store prices are high, ergo grocers are gouging". Thats too simplistic of a response and apparently, not accurate.

But trying to fight against unnecessary price hikes has nothing to do with communism. Regardless, its a fan favorite accusation.

PepsiCo gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2024 was $50.115B, a 3.76% increase year-over-year. PepsiCo annual gross profit for 2023 was $49.59B, a 8.24% increase from 2022. PepsiCo annual gross profit for 2022 was $45.816B, a 8.06% increase from 2021.

CocaCola gross profit for the twelve months ending March 31, 2024 was $27.636B, a 9.38% increase year-over-year. CocaCola annual gross profit for 2023 was $27.234B, a 8.92% increase from 2022. CocaCola annual gross profit for 2022 was $25.004B, a 7.32% increase from 2021.

Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2023 was $39.246B, a 3.2% increase from 2022. Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2022 was $38.03B, a 2.51% decline from 2021. Procter & Gamble annual gross profit for 2021 was $39.01B, a 9.27% increase from 2020.

Kraft Heinz gross profit for the twelve months ending March 31, 2024 was $9.056B, a 9.06% increase year-over-year. Kraft Heinz annual gross profit for 2023 was $8.926B, a 9.9% increase from 2022. Kraft Heinz annual gross profit for 2022 was $8.122B, a 6.45% decline from 2021.
Ok.....so what was the profit margin on all that?

By the way gross profit does not include all expenses. What was net profit?

I'd rather Kamala's team review the entire food chain and identify the worst offenders creating the excessive price hikes vs the easy "grocery store prices are high, ergo grocers are gouging". Thats too simplistic of a response and apparently, not accurate.

But trying to fight against unnecessary price hikes has nothing to do with communism. Regardless, its a fan favorite accusation.
What she is proposing is communism though. If she wasn't a communist she would be looking at the barriers to entry and easing those to create competition. Assuming of course that these price hikes are actually gouging. If they are competition would handle it much more effectively.

She could also take on the monopoly of corporate farming enterprises that are coming to fruition.

Instead she is trying to price the market. Not a chance she can get that right even if her motives are pure. Which they are not

What she is proposing is communism though. If she wasn't a communist she would be looking at the barriers to entry and easing those to create competition. Assuming of course that these price hikes are actually gouging. If they are competition would handle it much more effectively.

She could also take on the monopoly of corporate farming enterprises that are coming to fruition.

Instead she is trying to price the market. Not a chance she can get that right even if her motives are pure. Which they are not

You are wrong again. Communism is defined as a political theory advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.

What she is suggesting is regulatory capitalism / price controls. This is where the govt steps in to help manage bad actors in the industry to protect consumers through multiple methods, and in this case overseeing where margins are inordinately high. This happens in the US in many ways.

She isn't saying set the price of Cheerios at $2.90, nor is she saying line up and we will give everyone a box of Cheerios. She is saying, someone (grocers), are marking up the prices too much which is what the Rs are currently complaining about. At least she is trying to do something rather than just crying in front of a table of dry goods.

Go back to my original post on where she should be reviewing the margins. Just because you don't understand what she is saying doesn't make it communism.

When you tell people you will pay off their student loans and stop grocery stores from price gouging, you can't be trusted with the nuclear button. When you leave billions of dollars worth of military equipment in the hands of Afghan terrorists, you are not qualified to be President. When you allow millions of unknown criminals, terrorists and human traffickers as well as enough fentanyl to kill all America, you are not qualified to be President. Trump didn't do anything like that.

What is a fair profit margin in your mind?

It’s not the retail outlets that are ripping off the American consumer…it’s the “corporations” that prepare the food product for the retail outlets. The corporations have had record profits the past couple of years… the stores wok on a very slim margin but consumer pays for the mark-up all the way.

Reactions: Torg and TheCainer
You are wrong again. Communism is defined as a political theory advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.

What she is suggesting is regulatory capitalism / price controls. This is where the govt steps in to help manage bad actors in the industry to protect consumers through multiple methods, and in this case overseeing where margins are inordinately high. This happens in the US in many ways.

She isn't saying set the price of Cheerios at $2.90, nor is she saying line up and we will give everyone a box of Cheerios. She is saying, someone (grocers), are marking up the prices too much which is what the Rs are currently complaining about. At least she is trying to do something rather than just crying in front of a table of dry goods.

Go back to my original post on where she should be reviewing the margins. Just because you don't understand what she is saying doesn't make it communism.
You are full of shit

So PepsiCo profit after paying CEO 33.91 million salary and 73% of net earnings in dividends?
Dividends is paying their owners. The investors that own their stock. If you have a 401k it is likely you benefit from dividends. You should probably educate yourself

As for ceo compensation that seems to be on par for people running huge multinational corporations. We can absolutely have a conversation about whether a ceo should make that much and how to regulate that but that isn't a salary that is out of line for the role and market. By the way the board and stockholder approve ceo compensation so if you are an owner of Pepsi stock you can vote no.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Always has been. I worked for Hy-Vee for years. Margins were always around one percent, some items had higher margins, some like bread and milk they would actually even take a loss on. That’s why you see them try to have these high dollar margin departments around the store. The brands and Food manufacturing companies are the one with the price gouging.
T he e beef/pork farmer isn’t killing it at the meat counter, either. They scrape by in comparison to the pork/ beef producers. I understand there has to be profits made… it just seems now the profits don’t favor the farmer/producer or the retail customr.

Reactions: TheCainer

Kroger's gross profit margin over the past five years has shown some consistency, with slight fluctuations:

• 2023: 21.6%
  • 2022: 21.7%
  • 2021: 22.0%
  • 2020: 22.3%
  • 2019: 22.1%

Just saw a replay of Harris announcing this new proposal at a rally. The numpties in the crowd behind her clapped like the stupid people that they are. It's completely lost on her supporters that the current adminstration has had 3.5 years in power.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
There are things that Hyvee may lose money on (lost leaders) but they mark a majority of their stuff up 30%. Hyvee brand stuff is marked up more than that.

I get Hyvee makes up very title of the grocery chain profit margin in the country but I find that number hard to believe.

There are things that Hyvee may lose money on (lost leaders) but they mark a majority of their stuff up 30%. Hyvee brand stuff is marked up more than that.

I get Hyvee makes up very title of the grocery chain profit margin in the country but I find that number hard to believe.
Wow another low IQ.

These are the same sheep who are cheering on Ukraine stopping Russia and its communist spread, lol

It’s almost sad how get in line these simple minded hands out help me big government sheep are

This guy would turn you in for not wearing a mask and blamed you for covid

Do better Comrades

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC

^^^ Hotel Room Chair Sitter

Kroger's gross profit margin over the past five years has shown some consistency, with slight fluctuations:

• 2023: 21.6%
  • 2022: 21.7%
  • 2021: 22.0%
  • 2020: 22.3%
  • 2019: 22.1%
Those profit margins are pretty amazing for a supermarket. I always thought they were normally around 2-3%.

You are full of shit

That may be in general true statement, however in this case, I am correct and all you are able to do it have a bed wetting tantrum when your words are being proven to be incorrect. Face it, you are wrong. Fox hasnt prepared you for a debate, only hurling bumper sticker insults.

Don't forget, these are your peers, and are pro communism.

main-qimg-2215e1df04d1fa4c3a620e272aadb2f3

"I don't watch fox."

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT