ADVERTISEMENT

Half a million immigrants could eventually get US citizenship under a sweeping new plan from Biden

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Politically risky IMO.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden ordered expansive election-year action Tuesday to offer potential citizenship to hundreds of thousands of immigrants without legal status in the U.S., aiming to balance his recent aggressive crackdown on the southern border that enraged advocates and many Democratic lawmakers.

The president announced that his administration will, in the coming months, allow certain U.S. citizens’ spouses without legal status to apply for permanent residency and eventually citizenship without having to first depart the country. The action by Biden, a Democrat, could affect upwards of half a million immigrants, according to senior administration officials.

“The Statue of Liberty is not some relic of American history. It still stands for who we are,” Biden said from a crowded East Room at the White House, filled with advocates, congressional Democrats and immigrants who would be eligible for the program. “But I also refuse to believe that for us to continue to be America that embraces immigration, we have to give up securing our border. They’re false choices.”

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
The president announced that his administration will, in the coming months, allow certain U.S. citizens’ spouses without legal status to apply for permanent residency and eventually citizenship without having to first depart the country. The action by Biden, a Democrat, could affect upwards of half a million immigrants, according to senior administration officials.
I don't see a problem with this.

So the executive can waive a magic wand and do whatever they want? Laws are passed by the legislature.
I agree with you in theory, but I believe executive order is the right's preferred method of dealing with immigration policy. So it appears President Biden is acting accordingly to resolve an issue.

When republicans had majorities in both houses of congress, and a sitting republican president, they took no action on immigration, except by executive order.

Similarly, when a bi-partisan immigration bill was put forth recently, republicans refused to even discuss it, let alone vote on it. Their explanation at the time was that this is something the president should do via executive action.

I hope someone. Anyone murders someone you love. It’s illegal you fvcking moron.
Well anyone can murder anyone. You should be more afraid of the ladies in your life scarred emotionally forever if they see a tranny in the ladies restroom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT