ADVERTISEMENT

Has Iowa had a better

Great list going here. Did not know Tippett was a JUCO transfer.
To the original point, Nick Jackson has been an absolute homerun, both production and how he meshes culture-wise.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Should have been more specific talking about players who have transfered from D-1 schools into Iowa.

Well aware of Banks, Tippett & Yanda being juco transfers, Greene doesn't really count because he was at iowa originally & had to get the grades in order & didn't play football while he was away.

Clinton Solomon CJ Jones also come to mind!

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Hayden brought Tippett in, and he became an All-American and an NFL star as a DE. Tippett credited his quickness and balance to his experience in judo.
So he was really a JUDO transfer.

Rimshot GIF

Thank you. Thank you. You've been a great crowd. Ol' Doodle will be here all week. Two shows on Friday and Saturday. Don't forget to tip your waitress. Try the veal. Thanks for comin' out everybody. Get home safely. Goodnight!!

Ever? If we're including JUCOs I'll throw Marshall Yanda out there.

Iowa recruited Andre Tippett during Bob Commings era and placed him at a Iowa JC. Bernie Wyatt killed it recruiting NY-NJ at Iowa, later at Wisconsin. Then, Commings was fired, Wyatt was retained and he encouraged Hayden Fry to project him as a DE, rather than a FB.

Great list going here. Did not know Tippett was a JUCO transfer.
To the original point, Nick Jackson has been an absolute homerun, both production and how he meshes culture-wise.

Shonn Greene
Many good choices mentioned but to me Greene doesn't really qualify. He was a Hawkeye all the way. We were on him and I think steered him to the prep school in Conn? Then he was at Iowa, and then because of grade issues we stuck him in a Juco in Iowa before his return. Then he came back to Iowa. Kind of like he was on the practice squad or stashed somewhere, but he was certainly coming back if he got his grades in order.

Should have been more specific talking about players who have transfered from D-1 schools into Iowa.

Well aware of Banks, Tippett & Yanda being juco transfers, Greene doesn't really count because he was at iowa originally & had to get the grades in order & didn't play football while he was away.

Clinton Solomon CJ Jones also come to mind!
CS also started out at Iowa, then left to juco for one year, and then returned......

So what I am gathering is Iowa has done pretty well with the second chance guys. With the ones who maybe had to or for whatever reason did take the harder road or the road less traveled. Is that fair to say?

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Went to a prep school not Juco
Totally incorrect. He did both. He went to prep in Conn. Then he went to Iowa, and still had grade issues there. Then he went to Juco in Iowa, and worked in a furniture store for awhile, then came back to Iowa, and then left with a year of eligibility left after he won the Doak Walker award.....

This discussion begins and ends with Ron Coluzzi. We were destined for another season of Colten Rastetter as our punter, then Coluzzi came in from Directional Michigan as a grad transfer. His flip against Michigan that drew a targeting was legendary, and figured in, in a minor way, to the win over #3 in 2016.

Coluzzi also handled kickoffs, which were appreciable deeper than our PK at that time, though that PK became a stud kicker, for sure.

This discussion begins and ends with Ron Coluzzi. We were destined for another season of Colten Rastetter as our punter, then Coluzzi came in from Directional Michigan as a grad transfer. His flip against Michigan that drew a targeting was legendary, and figured in, in a minor way, to the win over #3 in 2016.

Coluzzi also handled kickoffs, which were appreciable deeper than our PK at that time, though that PK became a stud kicker, for sure.
I was just thinking the other day about how far our special teams have come since Rastetter, but I could not remember his name. I was thinking back then, that a good HS JV punter could have done a better job. Man he was bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT