ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2021-2022

If this year's team improves their defensive rebounding to a respectable level I think they have a real shot at the F4. I ended up switching channels in a few games last year, not willing to watch one more opponent possession where they get 3 or 4 shot attempts off usually ending in another score.
Rebounding was about even last year (Iowa ever so slightly up on opponents) and with added size/depth at the 4/5 it should improve. It was their overall defense that needs improved and all they worked on this summer per Caitlin.

Rebounding was about even last year (Iowa ever so slightly up on opponents) and with added size/depth at the 4/5 it should improve. It was their overall defense that needs improved and all they worked on this summer per Caitlin.
Do you have the stats for Big Ten games? I'd like to see the number of opponent ORBs to find out if my eyes were deceiving me..... or maybe I just watched the wrong games.

......looked up a few games. Maryland and UCONN more than doubled Iowa's ORBs, those teams taking 19 and 15 ORBs respectively. I'm sorry, that's terrible. It may be unfair to select those excellent opponents but they are the type of teams you need to beat to get to the final 4 and/or win it all.

Checked a few other games. Nebraska had 10 ORBs vs. Iowa. Indiana had 13. Minnesota 11, MSU 15.... I think I see a pattern here. Iowa consistently allows a crap load of second chances.

In the above games, Iowa only reached double digit ORBs once - 10 vs. MSU if I recall correctly.

Do you have the stats for Big Ten games? I'd like to see the number of opponent ORBs to find out if my eyes were deceiving me..... or maybe I just watched the wrong games.

......looked up a few games. Maryland and UCONN more than doubled Iowa's ORBs, those teams taking 19 and 15 ORBs respectively. I'm sorry, that's terrible. It may be unfair to select those excellent opponents but they are the type of teams you need to beat to get to the final 4 and/or win it all.

Checked a few other games. Nebraska had 10 ORBs vs. Iowa. Indiana had 13. Minnesota 11, MSU 15.... I think I see a pattern here. Iowa consistently allows a crap load of second chances.

In the above games, Iowa only reached double digit ORBs once - 10 vs. MSU if I recall correctly.
We gave up way too many 2nd chance points period. And we exhausted our team by forcing them to play more defensive possessions. We let too many teams stay in it because we continued to give up second chance points. Stat's can be misleading. Even if we won the overall battle, too many times we gave up momentum that lead to runs for the other team. But the good news we add two 6'3" posts which should help immensely. There were a lot of close games we could have won last year with better rebounding and post defense. I'm looking forward to a season that will exceed expectations. I don't think a FF is out of reach for this team.

We gave up way too many 2nd chance points period. And we exhausted our team by forcing them to play more defensive possessions. We let too many teams stay in it because we continued to give up second chance points. Stat's can be misleading. Even if we won the overall battle, too many times we gave up momentum that lead to runs for the other team. But the good news we add two 6'3" posts which should help immensely. There were a lot of close games we could have won last year with better rebounding and post defense. I'm looking forward to a season that will exceed expectations. I don't think a FF is out of reach for this team.
and they’re pretty young too

Saw someone post this in another forum. “I've heard Monika is likely to opt for the 5th year. The Iowa coaches have changed their defensive scheme and that is all they have worked on this summer, no offensive sets at all.” Anyone know how accurate this is or have any insight?

Any word on the freshman and the transfer from ISU. With everyone back we are in good shape,but with some quality backups that can rebound , give some rest it can help. We hung with UCONN into the 4th quarter where I think fatigue became a factor. Kate had some turnovers she doesn't normally make.

I also remember someone saying Lisa said Warnock would have an extra year.

Everyone who played last year can stay an extra year if they want to. I have no insider information, but I'm assuming that players who play a lot will take the extra year unless they say otherwise. I'm not sure there's a great reason for most players to move on unless they want to go to grad school somewhere else or are anxious to start their careers.

This year, I think the extra year hurts Iowa, because teams like Indiana and Maryland get to keep key players they otherwise would have lost, while Iowa had every contributor back without them taking an extra year.

The next 2-3 years, it should help Iowa, because Monika can take an extra year if she wants it, and last year's sophomores can stay through Clark's senior year if they want to.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Everyone who played last year can stay an extra year if they want to. I have no insider information, but I'm assuming that players who play a lot will take the extra year unless they say otherwise. I'm not sure there's a great reason for most players to move on unless they want to go to grad school somewhere else or are anxious to start their careers.

This year, I think the extra year hurts Iowa, because teams like Indiana and Maryland get to keep key players they otherwise would have lost, while Iowa had every contributor back without them taking an extra year.

The next 2-3 years, it should help Iowa, because Monika can take an extra year if she wants it, and last year's sophomores can stay through Clark's senior year if they want to.
I hope this doesn't cause any issues with team chemistry. Good for Monika and any other current players who take the extra year, but an adjustment for incoming and future recruits who looked at the roster progression differently. Everyone may have to share playing time more.

I hope this doesn't cause any issues with team chemistry. Good for Monika and any other current players who take the extra year, but an adjustment for incoming and future recruits who looked at the roster progression differently. Everyone may have to share playing time more.
You are correct. It will impact teams' ability (not just Iowa's) to attract top-level talent. The best players don't want to sign up to sit on the bench. Just an interesting situation to watch.

Hawkeyes announce 2021-22 non-conference schedule…

Last edited:

You beat me to it. I’ll have more coming on the non-conference schedule later today hopefully.

Wish they scheduled a couple tougher opponents

At Iowa State will be very tough. Duke has the potential to be extremely good if all of the transfers can mesh. Central Florida has been in the last two NCAA tournaments. IUPUI is better than the name suggests, and they were leading at halftime a couple of years ago when playing the Hawkeyes. I imagine they will be reminded about their last trip to Cedar Falls.

It's a typical Bluder schedule. Maybe few marquee opponents, but mostly tough, good RPI teams. Smart schedule. B1G is totally stacked this year as well.

Reactions: undersized_post
It's a typical Bluder schedule. Maybe few marquee opponents, but mostly tough, good RPI teams. . . . B1G is totally stacked this year as well.
Agree with quoted portions, but it seems like this would have been a good year to have at least 1 marquee intersectional game. IU is playing Stanford and NC State, Michigan is playing Baylor and Louisville, and Maryland is playing Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina, and NC State (couldn't find non-con schedules for OSU and MSU). Iowa has nothing similar, though its ACC Challenge opponent (Duke) may turn out to be something with its bevy of transfers/recruits.

Reactions: undersized_post
Agree with quoted portions, but it seems like this would have been a good year to have at least 1 marquee intersectional game. IU is playing Stanford and NC State, Michigan is playing Baylor and Louisville, and Maryland is playing Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina, and NC State (couldn't find non-con schedules for OSU and MSU). Iowa has nothing similar, though its ACC Challenge opponent (Duke) may turn out to be something with its bevy of transfers/recruits.
I agree. The teams you mentioned are our biggest competition for NCAA Tournament seeding in conference. Because we don't have those marquee non-conference games to boost our resume, there will be more pressure to do well in our matchups against those teams or to run the table in the non-conference.

Don't forget the matchup against Seton Hall in Mexico. Very solid team that finished 3rd in Big East last season

Reactions: crstuff
Is there any story behind Truman State for the exhibition game? Several times before there's a former Iowa player on the coaching staff of the exhibition opponent.

Also I think conference strength of schedule favors Iowa. 9 games against likely NCAA tourney teams (NW, IN, MI x 2) MD, Rutgers, OSU and 7 games against possible NCAA tourney/NIT teams Purdue, Minn x2, MSU, Penn State , Nebraska. The Big Ten is going to very deep this year. Hard to say til the season starts who will take a step forward or back this year among that 2nd group. The Big is probably looking at 8-10 teams in the NCAA tourney again. It would be nice to play 1 elite club but I'm not complaining because it's not overloaded with cupcakes either.

Reactions: LinusPF and AMAYS
I listened to a podcast Coach J was on a few weeks ago. She mentioned that next year they were going to have a game or two that would be marquee games if they came to fruition.

Reactions: hawkshawn
Don't forget the matchup against Seton Hall in Mexico. Very solid team that finished 3rd in Big East last season
I have no problem playing Seton Hall, and they won't kill Iowa's RPI. But I'm not sure I would describe them as a "very solid" team last year. The Big East was a 2-bid league for a reason. The Hall finished with a 122 RPI (52 NET), with 12 of their 14 wins against quadrants 3-4 in both the NET and RPI. They won 2 games in conference play against teams that finished above .500 overall. The Hall didn't make the dance after opening Big East tourney play with a 2nd loss to a Creighton team that went 6-7 in conference.

Speaking of the conference schedule, here are the tiers I'd put teams in. Any serious disagreements?

Sweet 16 or Better: Maryland, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan
Likely NCAA Tournament: Ohio State, Michigan State
Probable NCAA Tournament: Northwestern
Maybe NCAA Tournament: Rutgers, Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State
Bottom of the Conference: Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois

I think Rutgers is the hardest to categorize. On the one hand, the team is usually good and has made transfers work in the past. On the other, it lost a ton of production from a team that probably would've finished mid-conference if it played a full schedule. I could also see moving Northwestern up a tier, but I'm weary of them losing their second leading scorer and having no real post presence.

Speaking of the conference schedule, here are the tiers I'd put teams in. Any serious disagreements?

I think Rutgers is the hardest to categorize. On the one hand, the team is usually good and has made transfers work in the past. On the other, it lost a ton of production from a team that probably would've finished mid-conference if it played a full schedule. I could also see moving Northwestern up a tier, but I'm weary of them losing their second leading scorer and having no real post presence.

That’s pretty on-line with what the first bracket projection says.

Interesting to note that Seton Hall and USC are both in the First Four out. Iowa State a 4 seed, IUPUI a 13 getting the autobid and Duke a 9 seed. I’d expect Duke to move up in the preseason projection.

Also, I definitely think UCF will jump into the discussion once the preseason projection comes out.

You’re talking potentially 13 teams, counting UCF, that are in the top 70 and you have to play a couple of them twice.

Purdue won't finish bottom of the conference unless they lay down with Versyp stepping down. I see Purdue fighting for a 5th - 6th place finish. They have excellent guards, particularly Madison Lehman who lit everyone up last year. They lost some post depth but still have Kyle at 6'6" and an assortment of strong forwards who are somewhat undersized but experienced like Hardin. I could see them even fighting for 3rd or 4th in the conference if they decide to lay it all out on the line for Versyp. Lost a ton of close games last year and just need to learn to close out.

With the exception of Illinois and Wisconsin who are clearly in the basement and Maryland who is just a smidge above the rest of the conference, the league is pretty evenly balanced as far as talent goes and I expect games between the teams who finish 2-12 will be extremely competitive.

I would says OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana are the teams most likely to compete with Maryland for the title and Minnesota and Penn State are mostly likely to slip into the basement.

Rutgers is really tough to gauge because they are typically strong but have been on a downward trend and lost Diamond Johnson to NC State who was a star. I actually think Rutgers does better if Vivian Stringer ends up stepping down mid-season or least letting her assistants handle more responsibility. I have a feeling that regardless of how the season ends, this season is likely her last.

Purdue won't finish bottom of the conference unless they lay down with Versyp stepping down. I see Purdue fighting for a 5th - 6th place finish. They have excellent guards, particularly Madison Lehman who lit everyone up last year. They lost some post depth but still have Kyle at 6'6" and an assortment of strong forwards who are somewhat undersized but experienced like Hardin. I could see them even fighting for 3rd or 4th in the conference if they decide to lay it all out on the line for Versyp. Lost a ton of close games last year and just need to learn to close out.

With the exception of Illinois and Wisconsin who are clearly in the basement and Maryland who is just a smidge above the rest of the conference, the league is pretty evenly balanced as far as talent goes and I expect games between the teams who finish 2-12 will be extremely competitive.

I would says OSU, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana are the teams most likely to compete with Maryland for the title and Minnesota and Penn State are mostly likely to slip into the basement.

Rutgers is really tough to gauge because they are typically strong but have been on a downward trend and lost Diamond Johnson to NC State who was a star. I actually think Rutgers does better if Vivian Stringer ends up stepping down mid-season or least letting her assistants handle more responsibility. I have a feeling that regardless of how the season ends, this season is likely her last.
The reason I think Purdue finishes bottom of the conference again is they did last year (4-14 in conference), and they lose 4 of the 6 players that averaged 20+ minutes on last year's team (3 of 5 if you don't count McLaughlin). I'm also not aware of any big transfer additions. And while I think Layden is a good player, she only averaged 8.7ppg last year.

Reactions: LinusPF
Also I think conference strength of schedule favors Iowa. 9 games against likely NCAA tourney teams (NW, IN, MI x 2) MD, Rutgers, OSU and 7 games against possible NCAA tourney/NIT teams Purdue, Minn x2, MSU, Penn State , Nebraska. The Big Ten is going to very deep this year. Hard to say til the season starts who will take a step forward or back this year among that 2nd group. The Big is probably looking at 8-10 teams in the NCAA tourney again. It would be nice to play 1 elite club but I'm not complaining because it's not overloaded with cupcakes either.

Has the Big Ten ever had 8 teams invited to the NCAA Tournament?

Call me paranoid but what makes me nervous about the non-conference schedule is the large number of teams who are expected to be "last four in" or "first four out" caliber. By my count that would include Drake, Seton Hall, USC, Duke, UCF, and IUPUI. Even if we go undefeated to these teams, it won't help our resume much, while a couple losses could be really damaging. I'd actually prefer just a couple more games against top 25 teams, such as the level of ISU. That would give more chances for a big win while a loss wouldn't hurt too much.

It will be interesting to play against Drake (Megan Meyer) and IUPUI (Madison Wise, grad transfer from ISU who will be familiar with our team).

Re: Purdue -- I expect the loss of Kayana Traylor (transferred to Virginia Tech) to be damaging. Plus the recent allegations of misconduct against Versyp can only be a bad thing. Look no further than what happened to Syracuse and Quentin Hillsman this offseason.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with Braydon's rundown though I might put Nebraska higher and OSU lower. Nebraska was on the cusp of a tournament berth last year and gained more than they lost. OSU had a good stretch of games in January but got progressively worse throughout the year and lost their starting frontcourt to the portal.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Has the Big Ten ever had 8 teams invited to the NCAA Tournament?
BIG had 7 teams last year and OSU was eligible but banned from the post season. ESPN has 7 teams in it's early bracketology for 2022 with Nebraska in the first four out. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for the BIG to see 8 or even 9 teams. A lot will depend on non-conference. I would consider Nebraska, Purdue and Penn State to all be on the bubble.

Of those Nebraska has the most experience. Deep and well rounded with depth at just about every position. Penn State was super young last year and showed flashes. If Jekot can come back to pre-injury form, Penn State will be dangerous. I'm also really high on Camden. It could be their year to break out. Purdue has the guard talent but is thin in the frontcourt. Madison Lehman was a dangerous shooter at the end of last season. She kept Purdue in both games against Iowa. However, their season will depend on how the team responds to Versyp in her final year. Might help that her replacement is already on the bench in Katie Geralds. Do not be fooled by the 4-14 conference record last year. A lot of the losses were 10 points or less. They did lose some key players but they also return a great deal and should not be underestimated.

There is a great deal of parody in the BIG right now but with Illinois and Wisconsin looking more like dumpster fires, there is a greater chance to break through the logjam in the middle of the league

Interesting that the women’s team plays ALL 3 in-state schools. Wish the men’s team would go back to that.

Reactions: LinusPF
I was just going to post this. In the video Tomi and Logan say "hey from the seniors." Monika (also a senior) appears later in the video, but not with Tomi and Logan in the "hey from the seniors" part.

This could be an indication that Monika plans to use her extra season, while Tomi and Logan don't. Or it could mean nothing at all. Just thought it was interesting to note.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT