ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2021-2022

Michigan was a few possessions away from making the final four and we destroyed Michigan so keep your head up. It may not be as bad as it seems and we have significant upgrades in athleticism coming next year.
Louisville was definitely beatable by Iowa at their best.

South Carolina would just present too many problems with their size (and obviously athleticism).

The other two are a solid nope/no chance, which sucks because we all want Clark to surpass Bueckers, but she most likely will never get the chance.

Teams change every year, players come and go.

With Iowa having no 2023 commitments I would expect Kate, McKenna and Gabby to all come back for an extra year.

We will ball out!!

Teams change every year, players come and go.

With Iowa having no 2023 commitments I would expect Kate, McKenna and Gabby to all come back for an extra year.

We will ball out!!
I would rather see them three come back, then bring in mid major recruits. There is still a lot of time left and a lot of good players left out there.

Reactions: crstuff
I would be very surprised if they were invited back by Lisa.

Last edited:
Reactions: mphawk
Lisa's is all in on Crooks and Williams. Hilltop is right, if you don't get your top targets, bring back your seasoned starters.

Alexis Smith from Minnesota is not in the portal as well. She was a 5 star recruit and is a sophomore. This leaves Minnesota with 3 returning players and four recruits for next year.

Alexis Smith from Minnesota is not in the portal as well. She was a 5 star recruit and is a sophomore. This leaves Minnesota with 3 returning players and four recruits for next year.
Not blaming you for repeating what media reports say, based on the Gopher media guide, but Smith was not really a 5-star recruit. ESPN had Smith at # 46, before dropping her to #68 in their final rankings. If there are 68 5-stars in a class, the term is meaningless. Also, most evaluators had Smith as outside the top 100. Blue Star (BS) had Smith at #152, ASGR had her at # 126, and Prospects Nation (PN) had her at # 121. Finally, OSU passed on the hometown prospect.

Reactions: UptownHawk
If you are Minnesota's AD, how do you NOT fire Whalen now and try to stem the bleeding. Sure, you risk losing some or all of the recruiting class, but you give a new coach a chance to come in and maybe talk some of the players who've entered the portal into staying. I can't imagine that Whalen can have a winning season next year even with a top recruiting class as it usually takes freshman some time to adapt to the game. Certainly, the string of departures over the past few seasons shows that there is a toxic culture in Minneapolis.

Pretty quiet on the transfer front I got to think we will have no one transfer out I think we whould heard by now

Pretty quiet on the transfer front I got to think we will have no one transfer out I think we whould heard by now
It's a double-edged sword. If someone were to enter the portal, it would free up a scholly to go after another PG in the portal to backup Clark and come in for spot minutes to be a 2nd ball handler. But it's also nice to have everyone back. I also think that at some point one of the bigs will enter the portal. There just won't be enough minutes to go around. So even if we survive the portal with no one leaving this year, it likely increases the likelihood someone leaves next year.

I don't think anyone is "hating" on the players. Just pointing out that our starters are limited in certain aspects of their game. Marshall/Warnock/Wartin have had plenty of time to improve. They still might improve somewhat between now and next season, but IMO they are all limited in what they can do. The class coming in is much more athletic and I expect at least two if not all three to be vying for playing time.

I believe that Marshall/Warnock/Martin play as best they can. Unfortunately, their best is not enough to propel Iowa to a Final Four. And as good as Czinano/O'Grady are offensively, both are a liability when trying to guard on the perimeter.

I think many of us feel that it's time for some changes to be made, which means cutting minutes for some of the starters in favor of younger players with more potential.
What I was saying is that Marshall/Warnock/Wartin are pretty good players. Are they 4 or 5 star recruits, nope, and thus they are not the typical players for a Final 4 team.

I would say 'what??' to the rest.
Many feel it's time for a change? My point is what are you expecting and maybe some others expecting? Where are these highly rated recruits and studs that we are expecting to put on the court?? I guess it's time for a change to have multi year starters for a top 10 team to go to the bench, WTH??

I hope Iowa has some more good / great recruiting and the incoming freshmen can play some valuable minutes. And I hope the returning players from the BIG regular season & tournament champs improve so we can make a run to the Final 4.

Last edited:
What I was saying is that Marshall/Warnock/Wartin are pretty good players. Are they 4 or 5 star recruits, nope, and thus are they the typical players for a Final 4 team, nope.

Many feel it's time for a change? My point is what are you expecting and maybe some others expecting? Where are these highly rated recruits and studs that we are expecting to put on the court?? I guess it's time for a change to have multi year starters for a top 10 team to go to the bench, WTH??

I hope Iowa has some more good / great recruiting and the incoming freshmen can play some valuable minutes. And I hope the returning players from the BIG regular season & tournament champs improve so we can make a run to the Final 4.
I would be happy if Lisa just trusted the bench more next year, including the three highly rated incoming freshmen, and played the starters less. They were pretty worn down by the end of the season. I also think they need to put more emphasis on conditioning this summer for the whole team so they can go as hard consistently on defense as on offense.

I would be happy if Lisa just trusted the bench more next year, including the three highly rated incoming freshmen, and played the starters less. They were pretty worn down by the end of the season. I also think they need to put more emphasis on conditioning this summer for the whole team so they can go as hard consistently on defense as on offense.
I agree I wish Lisa would trust her bench more and find different rotations that work well together. With the depth on next seasons team nobody other than Caitlin should be above 30 minutes hopefully. Iowa normally has one of the better conditioned teams in the country. This past season the Covid shutdowns or exposures kept some players away making conditioning work difficult.

Workouts/Practices this summer should be highly competitive showing players if they want time they will have to put in the work in all aspects of the game.

What I was saying is that Marshall/Warnock/Wartin are pretty good players. Are they 4 or 5 star recruits, nope, and thus they are not the typical players for a Final 4 team.

The expectation is a deep NCAA tournament run. Marshall/Warnock/Martin are as you said -- pretty good players. But to make a Final Four and compete with the top tier programs you have to have players that are elite athletes.

The current Iowa roster has one elite athlete -- Caitlin Clark. Several other players have the potential but perhaps lack the physical tools.

There are high expectations for the incoming class. And I do expect that at least one player will be supplanted in the starting lineup by the start of BIG play or at the very least be relegated to playing starters minutes making a current starter a starter in name only.

I don't think Marshall/Warnock/Martin have played up to their full potential. We've seen flashes from all of them but none has been consistent, particularly on the offensive end. Martin has the highest ceiling of the group and was outstanding in the BTT. But this team needs a similar performance on a nightly basis to be a FF team. Marshall is an excellent defender, but needs to develop a floor game and to work on getting her 3 point shot off with a quicker release. Warnock needs to work on getting to the rim and defense.

If this team wants to win, we will need balanced scoring and much more effort on defense, particularly on the defensive glass. We improved slightly in both categories, but anyone watching could see how glaring of a weakness these areas are. Look at S.Carolina and how their defense plays.

We absolutely have to stop giving up 2nd, 3rd, 4th opportunities.

I believe Bluder will reward those players who rebound, play defense and take the shots that the defense gives them.

We didn't lose to Creigton because Creighton got lucky but because Creighton exploited the teams' overreliance on Caitlin and Monika. If changes/improvements are not made next season, it will be very hard for Iowa to make a Final Four run.

We had a great year. It was special to win the BIG and the BTT in the same year. But even with the success we had, there is plenty of opportunity to improve on rebounding and defense. If the freshman can help with that, then they deserve to play quality minutes.

Our team might have endurance, but the elite teams have explosion and speed.

We see the videos of the girls lifting weights. Id like to see the program increase plyometrics so we're faster and more explosive.

Our team might have endurance, but the elite teams have explosion and speed.

We see the videos of the girls lifting weights. Id like to see the program increase plyometrics so we're faster and more explosive.
Coach Lindsay has them work on plyometric exercises during their sessions. But the players can/should be doing more of that work on their own.

Ashley Owusu from Maryland is entering the transfer portal. That's fairly big news for us, as Maryland and Ohio State seem like our biggest rivals for the conference next year on paper. Maryland will likely add someone in the portal to replace her, but I'm not sure they will be able to find someone that can have the same impact.

Ashley Owusu from Maryland is entering the transfer portal. That's fairly big news for us, as Maryland and Ohio State seem like our biggest rivals for the conference next year on paper. Maryland will likely add someone in the portal to replace her, but I'm not sure they will be able to find someone that can have the same impact.
That is bizarre. Brenda Freese must be hard to play for. I don't know what is going on this case, but you could win a national championship with just the players that have transferred out of Maryland the last several years. All Owusu said was that it was due to "events that have transpired on and off the court this year."

Reactions: crstuff and jockos
I think Owusu was injured during the year and she didn't seem as effective on her return, and thus it seemed to me that she didn't get as many minutes the latter part of the season.

I think Owusu was injured during the year and she didn't seem as effective on her return, and thus it seemed to me that she didn't get as many minutes the latter part of the season.
I agree she didn't return to form the latter part of the regular season, but she did in the NCAA tournament. (See below.) It sounds like there was more to the story.

"The Woodbridge, Virginia, native missed five of the Terps’ last six regular season games due to a sprained ankle or illness, but she was sensational in their first two NCAA Tournament games. Owusu scored 24 points against Delaware in the first round and 20 points against Florida Gulf Coast in the second round to help propel Maryland to the Sweet 16. However, she was held to only four points on 2-of-9 shooting while dealing with a stomach bug against Stanford."

Reactions: BGHAWK
I agree she didn't return to form the latter part of the regular season, but she did in the NCAA tournament. (See below.) It sounds like there was more to the story.

"The Woodbridge, Virginia, native missed five of the Terps’ last six regular season games due to a sprained ankle or illness, but she was sensational in their first two NCAA Tournament games. Owusu scored 24 points against Delaware in the first round and 20 points against Florida Gulf Coast in the second round to help propel Maryland to the Sweet 16. However, she was held to only four points on 2-of-9 shooting while dealing with a stomach bug against Stanford."

I didn't remember her success in the tournament, maybe because I didn't watch much of it.

Reactions: natchrlman
Like Taylor Mikesell?
Admittedly Mikesell is an Ohio kid so going back to Ohio State is not too unexpected.
Anyway, seeing Owusu leaving Maryland, maybe Audi Crooks will think twice about her scholarship offer from the Terps. Owusu was the one player on the Maryland team that had similar body build to Crooks and now she's gone, apparently not fitting their playing style after all.

Maryland just lost another player Taisiya Kozlova who played a bit in the Iowa game this year too.

I don't see Ohio State as a fit for Owusu. They are already returning 3 top guards. Frankly I'm not sure I see a great fit amongst other top Big Ten teams. Indiana needs a point guard, but Owusu is really ball-dominant. Not sure she would exist well with Holmes and Berger. Michigan is also losing a lot. My bet is she goes somewhere in the ACC or SEC.

If Crooks is still interested in Maryland, I'm sure Coach Frese has explained how she will be used within Maryland's system. Same for Coach Bluder with Iowa. I don't think Owusu leaving would have any impact on Crooks' recruitment (other than one more player in a long list who leave Maryland). The two don't play the same position, and their games aren't close to similar.

Reactions: Hawkhoops3
I don't see Ohio State as a fit for Owusu. They are already returning 3 top guards. Frankly I'm not sure I see a great fit amongst other top Big Ten teams. Indiana needs a point guard, but Owusu is really ball-dominant. Not sure she would exist well with Holmes and Berger. Michigan is also losing a lot. My bet is she goes somewhere in the ACC or SEC.

If Crooks is still interested in Maryland, I'm sure Coach Frese has explained how she will be used within Maryland's system. Same for Coach Bluder with Iowa. I don't think Owusu leaving would have any impact on Crooks' recruitment (other than one more player in a long list who leave Maryland). The two don't play the same position, and their games aren't close to similar.
Your points are all good, but I presume the Ohio State comment was tongue in cheek. The last good player Maryland lost was Taylor Mikesell transferring to the Buckeyes. She seemed to take great relish in beating her former team this season.

Your points are all good, but I presume the Ohio State comment was tongue in cheek. The last good player Maryland lost was Taylor Mikesell transferring to the Buckeyes. She seemed to take great relish in beating her former team this season.
I sometimes forget she was at Maryland because she transferred to Oregon in between.

How does Brenda keep losing high level talent and keep her job?
Because she keeps winning. This was certainly a down year, but otherwise she has largely dominated the Big Ten since Maryland joined. They haven't had a deep tournament run in a while, but who could they hire that would guarantee better results?

A question how does Lisa bluder make 14 girls happen if they all don’t play that’s what she will have next season

A question how does Lisa bluder make 14 girls happen if they all don’t play that’s what she will have next season
Gyimfi won't play much, maybe red shirt. Edgier won't see the floor-maybe she'll transfer? That gets us to 12.
Afolter, Wetering still haven't done much, and need to prove them selves like the other 2 freshman.

Kylie is certainly no lock for big minutes.

We're now down to 7 players who've earned they're time.

Looks pretty simple. If the seven players mentioned here in aren't good enough to overcome the seven trusted players, it really doesn't matter who is the 8th and 9th and 10th because they will be lightly used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT