ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women Win!!!

I believe he is in this forum. I agree with you. What is with PA announcers this day and age. It's not about them. Just announce who scored and who's ball it is, etc.
I personally believe he could have a part in women's crowds being more lively but that's just my opinion lol

Reactions: redbirdhawk
So all of the problem is in Fran? I see it as a Barta problem more than Fran.
Yes, because I was completely serious and not joking whatsoever. Maybe next time I will add 10 smiley faces and you might understand a joke. Maybe you are just not a morning person and if you read this thread later in the day you won't be so serious :)

I really appreciate how the announcer does the games. It is so much more refreshing than a mens game announcer. The mens game seems like we are getting everyone ready for a nap. It seems he has perfect enunciation of names but little enthusiasm.
Games are entertainment and everything involved need to be entertaining. Including the announcers, half time entertainment, cheer squads, pep bands etc..
The primary men's game conversations other than the game itself is how long you waited to get your soft serve. That is wrong !

in the several years before he passed away in 2010, "The Wizard" John Wooden commented that he liked watching women's basketball the most because the women's game was a more "pure" version of the game he loved. He especially appreciated the greater emphasis on teamwork that the ladies displayed and the relative absence of showboating by players on the court. That pretty well summarizes my interest as well.

in the several years before he passed away in 2010, "The Wizard" John Wooden commented that he liked watching women's basketball the most because the women's game was a more "pure" version of the game he loved. He especially appreciated the greater emphasis on teamwork that the ladies displayed and the relative absence of showboating by players on the court. That pretty well summarizes my interest as well.

I remember him being quoted as saying that and the Hawkeye Women are one of the top teams, if not number one, in sharing the basketball with assists to made baskets. They make too many bad passes, but they make plenty of good ones.

I really appreciate how the announcer does the games. It is so much more refreshing than a mens game announcer. The mens game seems like we are getting everyone ready for a nap. It seems he has perfect enunciation of names but little enthusiasm.
Games are entertainment and everything involved need to be entertaining. Including the announcers, half time entertainment, cheer squads, pep bands etc..
The primary men's game conversations other than the game itself is how long you waited to get your soft serve. That is wrong !

I understand what you and others are saying--and it's just an opinion on the PA guy's efforts--but the "Gus Johnson calling the CJ Beathard to Smith in the B1G Championship Game" level of voice for Kathleen's jumper to make it 10-6 gets old fast.
Totally get I could very well be in a small minority or a large majority and if he's doing what his bosses tell him, then even more understood. I'm certainly not going to turn it off or not go to a game because of it, and if the girls feed off of it, then do it more. I'm one who remember when the loudest games I've ever been to were the NIT games when the blue-hairs weren't able to get their normal seats and the place was fabulously loud. I'd just rather the game dictate the excitement level.

I understand what you and others are saying--and it's just an opinion on the PA guy's efforts--but the "Gus Johnson calling the CJ Beathard to Smith in the B1G Championship Game" level of voice for Kathleen's jumper to make it 10-6 gets old fast.
Totally get I could very well be in a small minority or a large majority and if he's doing what his bosses tell him, then even more understood. I'm certainly not going to turn it off or not go to a game because of it, and if the girls feed off of it, then do it more. I'm one who remember when the loudest games I've ever been to were the NIT games when the blue-hairs weren't able to get their normal seats and the place was fabulously loud. I'd just rather the game dictate the excitement level.

I don't know if you can get those blue hairs to stand up and yell their heads off, probably not, but you might try and help get all of those 30 and 40 and 50 somethings to do it, because I've seen plenty of them sitting on their hands as well.

Reactions: HAWKSRK
You were joking, but I know several Hawk fans that feel it's all on Fran.

Yes, because I was completely serious and not joking whatsoever. Maybe next time I will add 10 smiley faces and you might understand a joke. Maybe you are just not a morning person and if you read this thread later in the day you won't be so serious :)

I don't know if you can get those blue hairs to stand up and yell their heads off, probably not, but you might try and help get all of those 30 and 40 and 50 somethings to do it, because I've seen plenty of them sitting on their hands as well.
Let's drop this "blue hair" I haven't seen a blue hair for a long time. The "blue" treatment was supposed to make whitening hair lose it's yellowy tinge. I see plenty of white -white hair now. Maybe there's somenewer treatment that does it better. Maybe go to blue tooth. :)

Reactions: BGHAWK
Let's drop this "blue hair" I haven't seen a blue hair for a long time. The "blue" treatment was supposed to make whitening hair lose it's yellowy tinge. I see plenty of white -white hair now. Maybe there's somenewer treatment that does it better. Maybe go to blue tooth. :)

I only used it in response, because those who use it, use it as a demeaning reference IMO. Everyone will be old, hopefully, some day.

Reactions: HAWKSRK
seems like our wrestling & women's basketball squads are just fine w/ CHA :)
Yeah ... funny, isn't it ... Wrestlers and wrestling fans love Carver ... The Iowa women love Carver and the fans ... Carver is not the problem ... winning is the problem ... consistent winning ... Give people the product and they will show up ... Kudos to Bluder ... Wow, she is really coaching this team up. Back-to-back wins against ranked opponents ... Good stuff ... They are fun to watch.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Lisa Bluder has the best staff in Division 1 Women's Basketball. There are three caliber head coaches on the bench for every game with Jan, Jenny and also Raina. They all could win as head coaches.

Thank you for all coming out to support this great group of women. GO HAWKS!

You see what is going on with the gophers reminds me of a conversation with Jan years ago. Chemistry is so important, you have girls that were stars in high school now asked to play a different role for a team. Can't imagine trying to keep 13 teenage girls happy

Lisa Bluder has the best staff in Division 1 Women's Basketball. There are three caliber head coaches on the bench for every game with Jan, Jenny and also Raina. They all could win as head coaches.

Thank you for all coming out to support this great group of women. GO HAWKS!
The women's PA announcer is so ridiculously obnoxious and over the top it's cringe worthy.

If the staff was that head and shoulders better than anyone in the country you'd think they'd have a national title by now, or even a *single regular season big ten title.

*outright

Last edited:
If the staff was that head and shoulders better than anyone in the country you'd think they'd have a national title by now, or even a single regular season big ten title.

Bluder had a team that tied for the Big Ten regular season title, and many that either finished 2nd or tied for second in the conference, and a Big Ten tourney championship.

She has also led the Hawkeyes to many NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8. She's been the Big Ten coach of the year numerous times, and Naismith National COY. Lisa has done a great job as Iowa coach.

Bluder had a team that tied for the Big Ten regular season title, and many that either finished 2nd or tied for second in the conference, and a Big Ten tourney championship.

She has also led the Hawkeyes to many NCAA appearances, including a Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8. She's been the Big Ten coach of the year numerous times, and Naismith National COY. Lisa has done a great job as Iowa coach.
I never said she wasn't a great coach. I love bluder. She's a breath of fresh air compared to fran.
The only thing i replied to was a poster claiming iowa has the best coaching staff in the country. That's laughable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT