ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes BB teams go 1-1 yesterday

All things considered, WBB team winning was most important?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Meh, I'm torn and will explain why below

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No, MBB is always most important...and with so much riding on it this particular loss was egregious

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017
Obviously, 2-0 would have been preferred, however...

If it had to be 1-1, then the right team won their game.

Amirite?

Reactions: DewHawk
Obviously, 2-0 would have been preferred, however...

If it had to be 1-1, then the right team won their game.

Amirite?
Unless you have a serious bias against women’s basketball, I would say this is correct. And the reason it’s correct is the level of indifference many have toward Fran and the men’s program.

Normally, though, men’s basketball should be more important. Right now, it’s just not.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The men needed it for their tournament lives. A loss MIGHT have cost the women a #1 seed. Winning a meaningless tournament a third time is less impactful for me than the men making a tournament that matters. The women are already more than there...

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
The men needed it for their tournament lives. A loss MIGHT have cost the women a #1 seed. Winning a meaningless tournament a third time is less impactful for me than the men making a tournament that matters. The women are already more than there...
Mostly agree, but weren't the women in need of a win to get a #1 seed?

Anyone who doesn't choose "Absolutely!" is just not seeing the bigger picture. This isn't even close.

The women were playing for a conference championship. That's huge whenever and wherever we can get them, regardless of the sport, men's or women's, but particularly now when we have the banner carrier for the entire (exponentially growing) sport of women's college basketball. That was a legacy win and further cements our growing legacy in women's college basketball.

One weekend in the NCAA Tournament will not do this years men's team a lot of good. A nice NIT run would likely be just as beneficial for their development. So for me, them winning or losing comes down to just another regular season game against one of the best teams in the country. A win would have been awesome, but a loss doesn't really hurt them any more than any other loss vs a quad 1 opponent all season long. Their pickle getting into the NCAA tourney has been a season long thing, not something that boils down to one game.

The mens team is hot garbage. MAYBE they get super lucky and get into the big dance and then get bounced in the first round. That is the upside for Fran. Hot garbage. This question is insulting.

• Wow
All eyes nationally are on Iowa women’s basketball. They covered Caitlin and the Iowa women’s big win on national TV this morning on Morning Joe (MSNBC).

The Iowa men beating Illinois, possibly making it to the NCAA tourney, and then getting bounced again in the first round just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

If I had to pick one team to win yesterday, it’s the women, hands down.

With USC beating Stanford and pending Texas winning the Big XII, it would be very easy to leave Iowa off the 1 line if they added a second non-ranked loss to their resume. The win yesterday secured a #1 seed.

This one really did hurt to choose. I wanted the men to win so bad to all but clinch a spot. However, they will get one more shot at a Q1 win in the tournament playing Ohio St.

The women's game let CC be on full display and hopefully earn a 1 seed. We were screwed last year by not getting one... winning 3 straight conference titles is tough and gives this group a legacy that will be hard to forget.

ESPN Sportscenter opened the show with 8 straight minutes of Iowa basketball. I'll let you guess which team.

It was a tale of two programs yesterday.

The Iowa women playing in the BTT championship game. Down 11 at halftime. Down 8 with 2 and a half minutes to go. They fought their way back to force OT then won. Tough, gritty, never-give-up.

The Iowa men played, at home, with an NCAA tournament berth on the line. And fell flat on their faces. Yet another disappointing effort.

Both the men's and women's teams have had the luxury of generational talent the last few years. When you have generational talent, you want to win as much as you can while you can. While both teams have left some opportunities on the court, Bluder and the women have done a way better job at taking advantage of their opportunities with Gustafson and Clark than Fran and the men have with Garza and the twins. This year, you see where the men's program is without the luxury of a generational talent. The women still have that, so each win is more important.

Reactions: DewHawk
All eyes nationally are on Iowa women’s basketball. They covered Caitlin and the Iowa women’s big win on national TV this morning on Morning Joe (MSNBC).

The Iowa men beating Illinois, possibly making it to the NCAA tourney, and then getting bounced again in the first round just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

If I had to pick one team to win yesterday, it’s the women, hands down.
So, like 146 people saw it?

• Haha
Reactions: VodkaSam
Anyone who doesn't choose "Absolutely!" is just not seeing the bigger picture. This isn't even close.

The women were playing for a conference championship. That's huge whenever and wherever we can get them, regardless of the sport, men's or women's, but particularly now when we have the banner carrier for the entire (exponentially growing) sport of women's college basketball. That was a legacy win and further cements our growing legacy in women's college basketball.

One weekend in the NCAA Tournament will not do this years men's team a lot of good. A nice NIT run would likely be just as beneficial for their development. So for me, them winning or losing comes down to just another regular season game against one of the best teams in the country. A win would have been awesome, but a loss doesn't really hurt them any more than any other loss vs a quad 1 opponent all season long. Their pickle getting into the NCAA tourney has been a season long thing, not something that boils down to one game.
Or are you not seeing the bigger picture?
The Iowa women are not going to peak any higher than they are right now.
After this year when Clark is gone, the will roll back down the hill.
Not to be a Debbie downer but once the women play a team with some good front court players they will be in a world of trouble. Not sure being a 1 or 2 seed will really change that.

The men would have greatly benefited with a win and likely would have helped push them into the ncaa tournament.
Even if they are only there for one weekend it means a hell of a lot more than winning a few games in the NIT.
Playing one or two more games in a consultation bracket isn’t going to help their development. They have played plenty of games at this point.
Actually playing an NCAA tournament game will mean so much more should make the younger players want to not only get back there but go even farther. Plus they would have that experience of playing in the tourney.

Plus I’m guessing you don’t know this but the iowa men’s team is actually one of the top teams with an active ncaa tournament appearance. Don’t you think recruits see that and want to feel like they have a great shot at making the big dance?

Or are you not seeing the bigger picture?
The Iowa women are not going to peak any higher than they are right now.
After this year when Clark is gone, the will roll back down the hill.
Not to be a Debbie downer but once the women play a team with some good front court players they will be in a world of trouble. Not sure being a 1 or 2 seed will really change that.

The men would have greatly benefited with a win and likely would have helped push them into the ncaa tournament.
Even if they are only there for one weekend it means a hell of a lot more than winning a few games in the NIT.
Playing one or two more games in a consultation bracket isn’t going to help their development. They have played plenty of games at this point.
Actually playing an NCAA tournament game will mean so much more should make the younger players want to not only get back there but go even farther. Plus they would have that experience of playing in the tourney.

Plus I’m guessing you don’t know this but the iowa men’s team is actually one of the top teams with an active ncaa tournament appearance. Don’t you think recruits see that and want to feel like they have a great shot at making the big dance?
The women's game was for a Big Ten Tournament Championship. You didn't mention it once. I'm very comfortable thinking I'm not the one who isn't seeing the bigger picture.

The women's game was for a Big Ten Tournament Championship. You didn't mention it once. I'm very comfortable thinking I'm not the one who isn't seeing the bigger picture.
The big ten tournament title might be one of the most over rated things ever. Unless you need to win it to make the ncaa tournament.
Now if it was to with the regular season title it might have been a little greater.

Remember when the men won the title a few years ago and celebrated like they won the Super Bowl and got blown out in the first round of the ncaa tourney? Yeah it means nothing.
But I suppose you bought a shirt and wear it proudly thinking it means something.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Clark and the women's team performance is much more meaningful at present.
I have barely casual interest in Iowa women's bb at baseline. Once Clark's gone that's where it will revert. But for now, she's the biggest story in all of college basketball by a very large margin. Adding to that legacy is more meaningful than yet another mediocre Fran team improving their bubble status.

Reactions: ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT