ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land QB Alex Padilla***

No offense but if we go by your previous statement of QBs are judged by their wins then Eli is just as good as Peyton seeing as how he has two rings just like big bro.
There is no offense in any of this, as far as I know we are all just fans with opinions. That being said my stance was QBs are judged off their winning. Look at Peyton's win pct at TN vs Eli's at Ole miss. Again Peyton was a win against NEbby (arguably the best "team" in cfb history) away from NC. ELI well.... not so much.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to go punch myself until I throw up and say 10 hail Mary's for my sins in bedding with debra.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
This has me jumping like a kid. :D
While we may be having a heated discussion about our giddiness of our latest recruit, I think I speak for everyone when I say F Wisconsin*.

(* I said bucky not realizing your name. It's all passion, nothing personal)

Kudos to Wasn’t Drunk for bringing Drew Tate into the thread. This kid looks to be a similar QB. Size, release and arm strength are all similar. There was a reason Iowa landed the “4 Star” Tate in that class... because recruiting services were a new thing chucking ratings at stats and high school accolades. Iowa landed Tate largely because he was undersized and under recruited. They tried it again with Ryan Boyle and he never panned out. The fact this kid got the nod means they likely see some Drew Tate in him and feel it’s worth a wild card. Only so many 6-3, 6-4 pro-typical QBs you can have in the system at one time.

Kudos to Wasn’t Drunk for bringing Drew Tate into the thread. This kid looks to be a similar QB. Size, release and arm strength are all similar. There was a reason Iowa landed the “4 Star” Tate in that class... because recruiting services were a new thing chucking ratings at stats and high school accolades. Iowa landed Tate largely because he was undersized and under recruited. They tried it again with Ryan Boyle and he never panned out. The fact this kid got the nod means they likely see some Drew Tate in him and feel it’s worth a wild card. Only so many 6-3, 6-4 pro-typical QBs you can have in the system at one time.

More than I want to be right I want the Hawks to win. If this kid ends up being a stud(or as I mentioned in the other thread "our next Heisman winner") I will gladly eat crow.

While we may be having a heated discussion about our giddiness of our latest recruit, I think I speak for everyone when I say F Wisconsin*.

(* I said bucky not realizing your name. It's all passion, nothing personal)
Comes with the territory, I guess.
Although maybe because I'm an out-of-state UW grad, I don't hate Iowa as much as Iowa fans hate UW.

Mansell, Petras, now Padilla. You can never have enough winners and high character kids on your team...especially at Quarterback. This kid is a winner and smart. We're loaded and deep at QB. By the time Stanley graduates, one of these guys will rise to the top of the bunch...and be damn good. His backup will be pushing him every step for playing time.

Speaking of guys "no one even wants," here's a fairly decent list:

2014: Josh Jackson 2-star (other offers included Colorado St., Nevada, New Mexico St.)

2013: Josey Jewell 2-star (other offer: Northern Iowa)
Akrum Wadley 2-star (other offer: Temple)
Desmond King 3-star (originally committed to Ball State, mostly MAC
offers)

2010: Anthony Hitchens 2-star (other offers: Akron, E. Michigan, IU, KU)

2009: Micah Hyde 2-star (other offers: all MAC schools)

I could continue but I think that would belabor the point. Also, Iowa's most successful QBs under Ferentz in terms of wins were rated 3-stars (Stanzi, Beathard), just like Padilla. Neither Stanzi nor Beathard received a plethora of P5 interest, so, in short, let's step back from the ledge and just see what happens.
2018: H4wkfan4life You forgot to add this guy to your list of "no one even wants" on this board...:D

Gi
yup look at all those power 5 offers!
you think I care who north texas offers?

Give it a rest Francis, watch his video. This young man can sling it on a line. Capable of throwing on the run to his left or right. Really impressed with his pocket awareness. Very Mobil also. Alex is a solid pick up. FWIW, did you ever throw for one touch down in high school? This young man threw 40 as a junior.

I'm sure you guys love the pickup.
You're out picking up top notch qbs and wrs and we're going after guys no one even wants......
Dude, Wisconsin is almost no different than Iowa when it comes to recruiting. The Badgers tend to be more stable in their eventual rankings, but they are never too far ahead or behind Iowa as, just like Iowa, they recruit based upon their evaluations, not based upon recruiting stars.

Wisconsin might have an elite QB committed to them, but Iowa got theirs last year and Padilla looks pretty damn good too (likely wasn't recruited as heavily due to his height, but the talent is clearly there). Iowa also has a really good one right now in Stanley that Wiscy fans wish they recruited earlier whom is already getting praise by NFL scouts before his jr year.

I wouldn't worry about Iowa falling behind Wiscy as Iowa is putting together a pretty good class right now to go with the past two good classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: cap_tain8
At Iowa? Yes, fairly normal. The players at Iowa who tend to get drafted and move on to the NFL were not 4 and 5 star players. If you took a list of the players who came into Iowa 4 stars or better and compared it to the list of players 3 stars or lower who ended up getting drafted and/or playing in the NFL, the latter would be much larger. In fact, I am hopeful AJ Epenesa will be the first 5-star player, out of a handful of 5-star players Ferentz has landed during his tenure, who will actually pan out and have an All-American career at Iowa before moving on to the NFL.

Wisconsin is without question the standard bearer for all non blue-blood programs in the B1G. I don't follow their recruiting that closely, although I've heard they are getting much better rated players in recent classes. Regardless, Wisconsin has been successful not because they outrecruit Michigan, Ohio State, etc., they are successful because they have perfected a system and do it better than anyone. They are consistent. Iowa is not. They are what many Iowa fans thought/hoped Iowa would become during the 2002-2004 run. What's so impressive is how Wisconsin has maintained consistency despite head coaching changes. Regardless, I think a couple things stand out in comparison to Wisconsin. 1) Wisconsin is consistent and rarely, if ever, get beat by inferior teams. Iowa has had too many seasons hindered by one or two WTF? losses. That has been a consistent problem in the Ferentz era, losses to MAC schools, pitiful ISU teams, or bottom of the barrel B1G teams. Some years, it's been the difference between going 7-5 and 9-3. 2) After the Orange Bowl win, it SEEMS, and I emphasize seems, Ferentz got a little too comfortable and lax and the program got a little stale. While Ferentz will never divert from his philosophies and style of play, there have been noticeable changes, such as shaking up his coaching staff, recruiting a little better, etc.

I think Iowa will compete well with Wisconsin this year and one can only speculate what the years to come will look like. The greater point is Iowa has been close to having similar success, and at times throughout Ferentz's tenure they've been more successful than Wisconsin. The issue has always been consistency, which is an issue for a lot of teams not named Alabama, which makes the fact Wisconsin has had 3 different coaches since Alvarez stepped down and has still managed to maintain mostly 10 win seasons that much more impressive.

Phuck Wisconsin.....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I'm sure you guys love the pickup.
You're out picking up top notch qbs and wrs and we're going after guys no one even wants......

How many stars did Chuck Long and Ricky Stanzi have????? Long barely threw the football in high school. And how did Josh Allen just work out for Wyoming and Carson Wentz for NDSU?

Here are some 4 stars that didn't work out at Iowa in recent years, meaning to the degree they never started and kept the job:

Wenke (spelling)
Christensen
Wiegers

All great people and gave max effort.

Chuck Long was recruited in to 80s, there were no star ratings then.

Brad banks was recruited in the early 2000's and only the top 100 high school recruits were being rated at that time. Banks was a juco.

Rick was a 3 star.

Josh Allen was another Juco kid, who was in fact a 2 star out of high school.(I will let you decide how good he actually is)

Christen was a 3 star, his profile is above. (Along with a 4 star named Tate)

Wentz is from Fargo ND, not a powerhouse school in colorado.

Yes, the star system is fallable, however as time goes on one would think it would get more reliable.

Brad banks was recruited in the early 2000's and only the top 100 high school recruits were being rated at that time. Banks was a juco.

Rick was a 3 star.

Josh Allen was another Juco kid, who was in fact a 2 star out of high school.(I will let you decide how good he actually is)

Yes, the star system is fallable, however as time goes on one would think it would get more reliable.

Why?

Blair's message sounds very familiar. Go back four years and change a couple of words... Dowling...Boyle...enough said.

I thought Christensen was 4*. He certainly got a lot of National recognition for a 3*. I believe USA today and some others had him on their All American list...even if as just an honorable mention.

The *** system is certainly not perfect, like preseason predications.

No, but the optimism and the hope does.

Uh, yeah. People who aren't idiots hope the kid is good. It's the same with any recruit, no one actually knows if they'll be good or not. Groundbreaking stuff, great contribution.

Drew Tate - 247 - 3 star QB

Rick was a 3 star.

Chuck himself would admit he didn't do enough to warrant 2 stars in high school. Still happens today. Just look at Josh Allen and Carson Wentz. Always guys overlooked for whatever reason.

Someone mentioned national title winners have like 4 or 5 star QBs, well I would say most of the rest of those teams are 4 and 5 star guys as well and that matters. It is not just the QB going into a national title.

He did show up and perform at Iowa's camp. O'Keefe has worked with him and believed he has a winner. That says a lot. He gets the ball out of his hands pretty quickly on his release. His highlights looked very good to my untrained eye.

I thought his release was a little slow but arm strength looked pretty good.
I appreciate your support. I think I will be very much like a former 6th round draft pick from Michigan. Iowa fans are going to love me.

Rick was a 3 star.

Tate was a 247 3 star recruit. Padilla is a 247 3 star recruit.

I bolded it. Why would they get better over time? It will always be inexact.
Didnt see the bold, sorry mate. When it started there were limited staff and only the services. Now there are multiple services, and services which solely get the information to the "rivals" of the world. The other thing is football has exploded since even the early 2000's. There is more money and people invested. Again still fallible.

Didnt see the bold, sorry mate. When it started there were limited staff and only the services. Now there are multiple services, and services which solely get the information to the "rivals" of the world. The other thing is football has exploded since even the early 2000's. There is more money and people invested. Again still fallible.

You are right that in the past it probably was just not as good as it could be but I think right now is probably as good as it is going to get. I mean, just look at the NFL evaluators for the draft. They get stuff wrong all the time and they are paid really good money to do it.

Hit a lot of throws into tight spots with pressure all over him, should fit is great here.

i feel he should have said it was the perfect fit, not "well they're the best offer I'm gonna get"

you feel differently, that's cool.....

Guys - it's ok. He wants to come to Iowa. We all say things that come out wrong or not quite as intended. I'm sure this is the case. It's a kid. I had to read it twice, but it sounds like he's saying he's really excited about Iowa and that it's the place he wants to be.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
QBs are judged off their ability to win games. The person that wins the most is the natty champ. I'm going back through and have not found a QB rated lower than a 4 star who has won a natty yet. (By one service or another) Wisconsin got arguably the best QB in the class... I hope this kid makes me look foolish. I just dont see the need to always take a qb, especially in a VERY shallow QB class. It's all good, I hope he comes in and is amazing.

Disagree - look at some of the QBs who have won Super Bowls. Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson each have the same number of Super Bowl wins as Aaron Rodgers - 1. There is a lot more that goes into judging a QB besides championships.

high ranked QBs generally go to top teams. Those teams are also recruiting really well all over the field, not just at QB. Take Greg McElroy and AJ McCarron. Dude's were nothing special. Matt Flynn, Matt Mauck, Craig Krenzel. It's not a requirement that you have fantastic QB play to win a national championship. There are plenty of guys that do the job their team needs them to do, and they have a lot of success doing that.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
In all seriousness.
What? You started your persona with "I used to post years ago" you have added things like "Bwahaha" and now you are answering as if you were an 18 year old? Right or wrong on Padilla you are a fvcking creep dude.

I still want to kick you in the pancreas for this comment. I was going to check and see if you had dental insurance. But, I'm a live and let live internet tough guy. You will live to fight another day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT