ADVERTISEMENT

Petras QB #1 at Utah State?

He’ll be serviceable/decent at Utah State. He didn’t have a chance at Iowa

KOK recruited Petras. Not sure if he also got Joey. But for sure KOK brought in Spencer.

Is there a site that lists recruits and their primary recruiter ? Cause i don’t recall many recruits being associated with Brian. Both as the OL / RB coordinated and OC
A bunch of notable players were recruited by Brian, actually. I think Rivals or 247 has a search function where you can filter players by their lead recruiter.

I think recruiting will arguably be the most difficult for Lester to prove he's better than BF in all coaching facets.

A bunch of notable players were recruited by Brian, actually. I think Rivals or 247 has a search function where you can filter players by their lead recruiter.

I think recruiting will arguably be the most difficult for Lester to prove he's better than BF in all coaching facets.
So are you saying Brian was a good recruiter but just a horrible offensive coordinator?!?

So are you saying Brian was a good recruiter but just a horrible offensive coordinator?!?
If recruiting a number of guys who went on to have good careers at Iowa makes BF a good recruiter, not just of OL either, then yeah, I guess that's what I'm saying. It should also be fairly obvious that "good recruiter" and "horrible offensive coordinator" are hardly contradictory.

According to this article, it's officially his.

Coaches need to do this more often: give two guys equal reps with the ones, assess the spring performance, declare a starter, and let the #2 guy decide his next move.

According to this article, it's officially his.

Coaches need to do this more often: give two guys equal reps with the ones, assess the spring performance, declare a starter, and let the #2 guy decide his next move.

Thanks for posting, and really interesting article.

I had forgotten, but this will be Petras’ SEVENTH collegiate season (including his medical redshirt last year). He’s going to be 25 years old in the fall. I think that just reinforces, imo, that people shld just really root for him and not read anything into it if he lights it up. He’s a grown man playing against 19/20 year olds at a level below where he’s competed before. Candidly, given that context, he should have a huge season. That does not mean he would have had the same success at a power 5 program under a competent OC. It simply will mean he’s doing what he should achieve at that level.

In 2023 the Big 10 had the 4 best scoring defenses in the nation with Iowa being #4. Excellent defenses impact QBs and the Big 10 has excellent defenses.
I am not sure there is a total correlation between the Big 10 having the top 4 scoring defenses in football as meaning they were all super great unless you also compare the offenses of the big 10 teams in total and the ones that these great defenses played.

We know that any Big 10 team last year that played Iowa got a huge positive bump in their defensive stats. My gosh, Rutgers looked just terrible on offense against Iowa but I am not sure it was all Iowa as Rutgers is not an offensive juggernaut.

Purdue was not their high scoring selves last year.

I do believe that Mich holding down Bama and Wash U is a pretty good indicator of their defense and I think Iowa had a great defense also. OSU's defense sort of crumbled at the end

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
The guy Petras beat out (Cooper Legas) had a hell of a year last year. Legas’s passing efficiency last year (158.3) was better than Brad Bank’s senior year (157.1).

Apparently Joey Labas accounted for 6 TDs in Central Michigan’s spring game (2 rushing, 4 passing), per Leistikow.

We all know Brian deserved to be fired, and there are a lot of interesting data points to track this year to see exactly how bad the offensive schematic system was.

Reactions: your_master5
I am not sure there is a total correlation between the Big 10 having the top 4 scoring defenses in football as meaning they were all super great unless you also compare the offenses of the big 10 teams in total and the ones that these great defenses played.

We know that any Big 10 team last year that played Iowa got a huge positive bump in their defensive stats. My gosh, Rutgers looked just terrible on offense against Iowa but I am not sure it was all Iowa as Rutgers is not an offensive juggernaut.

Purdue was not their high scoring selves last year.

I do believe that Mich holding down Bama and Wash U is a pretty good indicator of their defense and I think Iowa had a great defense also. OSU's defense sort of crumbled at the end
My gosh, Rutgers looked just terrible on offense against Iowa but I am not sure it was all Iowa as Rutgers is not an offensive juggernaut.

I would argue Rutgers had an excellent offense but faced the top 4 scoring defenses in the nation and averaged 7.25 PPG against those defenses. They also played the #20 scoring defense in Wisconsin. They played 4 non-conference teams including 2 ACC teams and averaged 38.5 PPG never scoring less than 30.

Thanks for posting, and really interesting article.

I had forgotten, but this will be Petras’ SEVENTH collegiate season (including his medical redshirt last year). He’s going to be 25 years old in the fall. I think that just reinforces, imo, that people shld just really root for him and not read anything into it if he lights it up. He’s a grown man playing against 19/20 year olds at a level below where he’s competed before. Candidly, given that context, he should have a huge season. That does not mean he would have had the same success at a power 5 program under a competent OC. It simply will mean he’s doing what he should achieve at that level.
I'm going to have to disagree with you just a bit. If he does light it up (and I hope he does because he was nothing but a good guy at Iowa) it's simply one more data point (like Charlie Jones was) confirming the ineptitude surrounding Brian and Kirk's offense over the past several years. Spencer getting older wasn't a factor at Iowa where Spencer's numbers looked the same or worse with each passing year. I don't believe anyone has to see him succeed at USU to say that Petras probably would have had significantly more success under a competent P5 offensive staff than he had at Iowa where the staff was a train wreck.

The guy Petras beat out (Cooper Legas) had a hell of a year last year. Legas’s passing efficiency last year (158.3) was better than Brad Bank’s senior year (157.1).

Apparently Joey Labas accounted for 6 TDs in Central Michigan’s spring game (2 rushing, 4 passing), per Leistikow.

We all know Brian deserved to be fired, and there are a lot of interesting data points to track this year to see exactly how bad the offensive schematic system was.
Practice stats. Let us see when we get to the real world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT