ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes release preseason depth chart

Apr 8, 2003
From the Media Guide, which is linked below.

WR - Tyrone Tracy Jr, Keagan Johnson
TE - Sam LaPorta, Luke Lachey
LT - Jack Plumb, Mason Richman
LG - Cody Ince, Tyler Elsbury
C - Tyler Linderbaum, Matt Fagan
RG - Kyler Schott, Justin Britt
RT - Nick DeJong, Connor Colby
WR - Nico Ragaini, Charlie Jones
QB - Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla
RB - Tyler Goodson, Ivory Kelly-Martin
FB - Monte Pottebaum, Turner Pallissard
PK - Caleb Shudak

DE - John Waggoner, Joe Evans
DT - Noah Shannon, Lukas Van Ness
DT - Yahya Black, Logan Lee
DE - Zach VanValkenburg, Deontae Craig
MLB - Seth Benson, Mike Timm
WLB - Jack Campbell, Jay Higgins
CASH/LEO - Dane Belton, Jestin Jacobs
CB - Matt Hankins, Jermari Harris
SS - Kaevon Merriweather, Sebastian Castro
FS - Jack Koerner, Quinn Schulte
CB - Riley Moss, Terry Roberts
P - Tory Taylor

E650suRXMAIQ-0x

E650suPXMAY_75X

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Looks pretty good to me. Interesting to see VanNess at DT
I remember him looking really disruptive in the spring scrimmages from the clips I saw. Would love to have some fresh legs to come in and get some much needed penetration at the tackle spot.

Reactions: David1979
Looks pretty good to me. Interesting to see VanNess at DT
He was a second team DT in spring ball. Made several plays at the two scrimmages we were able to attend.

Also noteworthy that Logan Jones is not listed after suffering a knee injury towards the end of spring practice. Hopefully KF gives us some injury updates tomorrow.

Just noticed no Xavior Williams although might not be that big of a surprise given he is probably still learning Iowa's system.

Reactions: nu2u
Keagan’s gotta be the real deal to make the preseason depth chart as a true freshman with all the experience we have at receiver

Not sure if I should be encouraged otherwise with all the #Fr on the depth chart. Hopefully they are just that good versus not having much quality depth
Iowa has recruited really well that past couple years so not surprised to see some of the guys already popping up on the depth chart.
Johnsnon
Elsbury
Colby
Richman
Craig

All were rated as 4 stars by at least one service.

Well it shows where Iowa continues to recruit the Midwest. One from the west, two from the south, so nothing ever seems to change and I wonder if the landscape in the future will make it even more difficult to hit outside of the neighboring states.

Wow. Excluding kickers, 1 senior starting on offense and only 3 total in the offensive 2 deeps. Compare that to FIVE freshmen and redshirt freshman along with 3 sophomores in that list. NINE freshman and sophomores in the defensive 2-deeps. I remember when that would infer a rebuilding year at a developmental program like Iowa and we'd be talking about how great the coming years would be. This might be one of the youngest 2 deeps I've seen at Iowa and is probably a lot more like what you'd see in the top tier programs that reload with young 4 and 5 star guys every year after everyone leaves early to go pro. The young guys are really gonna have to produce at a high level for Iowa to have success this year.

Reactions: ichawk24 and MWardT
We could be one of the few teams in the nation with out a starting OL listed as weighing over 300lbs. Really excited to see some of these young guys in 2 deeps already like Johnson on offense and Craig on D.

From the Media Guide, which is linked below.

WR - Tyrone Tracy Jr, Keagan Johnson
TE - Sam LaPorta, Luke Lachey
LT - Jack Plumb, Mason Richman
LG - Cody Ince, Tyler Elsbury
C - Tyler Linderbaum, Matt Fagan
RG - Kyler Schott, Justin Britt
RT - Nick DeJong, Connor Colby
WR - Nico Ragaini, Charlie Jones
QB - Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla
RB - Tyler Goodson, Ivory Kelly-Martin
FB - Monte Pottebaum, Turner Pallissard
PK - Caleb Shudak

DE - John Waggoner, Joe Evans
DT - Noah Shannon, Lukas Van Ness
DT - Yahya Black, Logan Lee
DE - Zach VanValkenburg, Deontae Craig
MLB - Seth Benson, Mike Timm
WLB - Jack Campbell, Jay Higgins
CASH/LEO - Dane Belton, Jestin Jacobs
CB - Matt Hankins, Jermari Harris
SS - Kaevon Merriweather, Sebastian Castro
FS - Jack Koerner, Quinn Schulte
CB - Riley Moss, Terry Roberts
P - Tory Taylor

E650suRXMAIQ-0x

E650suPXMAY_75X
Thanks, Blair!

We could be one of the few teams in the nation with out a starting OL listed as weighing over 300lbs. Really excited to see some of these young guys in 2 deeps already like Johnson on offense and Craig on D.
Incredibly light on the OL. Wow. A guard spot weighing in at 282???

Geesh. Also very light on the DL.

I dont think Jones will be playing this Fall due to knee injury. Would be nice if he can but not optimistic about it.
I though he was going to back by camp? Never mind. Just read that he wasn’t likely to be ready by August.

Last edited:
Wow. Excluding kickers, 1 senior starting on offense and only 3 total in the offensive 2 deeps. Compare that to FIVE freshmen and redshirt freshman along with 3 sophomores in that list. NINE freshman and sophomores in the defensive 2-deeps. I remember when that would infer a rebuilding year at a developmental program like Iowa and we'd be talking about how great the coming years would be. This might be one of the youngest 2 deeps I've seen at Iowa and is probably a lot more like what you'd see in the top tier programs that reload with young 4 and 5 star guys every year after everyone leaves early to go pro. The young guys are really gonna have to produce at a high level for Iowa to have success this year.
Gee, could this be one of the reasons that the 2022 class commits is so small and missing on some top targets? Couldn’t be, has to be racial discrimination. :rolleyes:

Incredibly light on the OL. Wow. A guard spot weighing in at 282???
"incredibly light". incredibly LOL. Almost every OL in the two-deeps is in the 290s.... so what? They are skilled and obviously performing well at that weight. There is nothing magical about 300+ pounds - if there was my neighbor's 330lb high school kid would be hearing from all the major programs... instead he is a back-up fat ass Tackle with the finesse of a water buffalo

"incredibly light". incredibly LOL. Almost every OL in the two-deeps is in the 290s.... so what? They are skilled and obviously performing well at that weight. There is nothing magical about 300+ pounds - if there was my neighbor's 330lb high school kid would be hearing from all the major programs... instead he is a back-up fat ass Tackle with the finesse of a water buffalo
You know.. it’s like some of you are just waiting..waiting..waiting.. to read someone’s post you feel you can take offense to.

282 seems incredibly light to me for an O lineman at this level. But you disagree - I get it.

Reactions: WSC72
I remember him looking really disruptive in the spring scrimmages from the clips I saw. Would love to have some fresh legs to come in and get some much needed penetration at the tackle spot.
[/QUOTE
You know.. it’s like some of you are just waiting..waiting..waiting.. to read someone’s post you feel you can take offense to.

282 seems incredibly light to me for an O lineman at this level. But you disagree - I get it.
Pretty much all of your posts have a negative vibe to them.

My 2 main concerns this year are:

1. Defensive tackles and depth at d-tackle
2. Run blocking and pass protection from our offensive tackles

Agreed. When he have standouts on the OL it tends to be tackles and centers. Guard is often a weak spot on the line.

I believe I’ve heard from an Iowa coach in the past that he could find a set of suitable guards at 7-11. Or some sentiment very close to that.

Only 7 seniors in the 44 position spots?

So, took a look at the 2017 class. It included -

ISM
Brandon Smith
Tristin Wirfs
AJ Epenesa
Davion Nixon.
Geno Stone

o_O:(

• Love
Reactions: pink shizzle

Bingo!! These are strong kids that can get to the second level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT