ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes right-hander C.J. Eldred signs with Kansas City Royals

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
C.J. Eldred’s baseball career is heading to the professional ranks.

Just after midnight Tuesday, the Iowa right-hander announced via Instagram that he has signed an undrafted free agent deal with the Kansas City Royals, thus forgoing his final year of eligibility.

“Today was a day I'll never forget,” Eldred wrote just after midnight. “Officially signed with the Kansas City Royals and it's our 1 year anniversary. Can't wait to see what God has in store for this next chapter.”

Eldred, who made just one start in 2017 before a torn UCL ended his season, would’ve been a redshirt senior in 2018 and likely a mainstay in the Hawkeyes’ weekend rotation.

In 2016, his only full season in Iowa City, the 6-foot-1 right-hander went 3-8 with a 3.43 ERA over 94 1/3 innings. Eldred transferred to Iowa after redshirting at Indiana in 2014, and sat out the 2015 season due to Big Ten transfer for regulations.

MORE: C.J. Eldred carving his own path as a Hawkeye

Eldred, son of former MLB pitcher Cal Eldred, was primed to be Rick Heller’s Saturday night starter this past season and kicked things off well with a strong start at South Florida — one run and three hits over six innings. But that outing marked Eldred’s last in Hawkeye gold.

His departure is another blow to the Iowa pitching staff, which already lost weekend starters Nick Gallagher and Ryan Erickson to the MLB Draft. The Tommy John recoveries of Kole Kampen and Nick Allgeyer now become all the more important.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-j-eldred-signs-kansas-city-royals/548073001/

I would think his value would have been higher if he returned and had a dominant senior season.

IF... maybe. College baseball players have more bargaining power if they are able to use their option to return. Going pro means he will get top level medical care (not that he wouldnt at UI) and start earning money. Returning for senior year would put him in similar situation to McCoy who had minimal signing bonus because he was senior.

It is six of one and half dozen of other on the choice to be made. Never know but CJ" made choice best for him.

Reactions: cigaretteman
IF... maybe. College baseball players have more bargaining power if they are able to use their option to return. Going pro means he will get top level medical care (not that he wouldnt at UI) and start earning money. Returning for senior year would put him in similar situation to McCoy who had minimal signing bonus because he was senior.

It is six of one and half dozen of other on the choice to be made. Never know but CJ" made choice best for him.

That very well could be and it has cost others to return. I don't think undrafted FA have much leverage either way. I am guessing the last name helped in this case. Guessing Heller didn't like it.

Quit trying to make something out of nothing.

So we are no longer allowed to speculate. Hmmm, lets see a returning 5th year starter slated to be the lead pitcher decides late in the process to sign a UFA deal. I am not trying to 'make something of it' I am just guessing that Heller probably wasn't a big fan of that decision. Quit trying to minimize it. :D

I'm sure he wasn't a fan of Eldred getting injured and missing a majority of the season either, but he's a baseball coach, he loses players all the time. I'm sure he's not too upset about it. Best of luck to CJ.

Injury to miss most of the season = a late decision to go UFA got it

Injury to miss most of the season = a late decision to go UFA got it

After 20+ years of coaching, Heller is not going to dwell on this. He may or may not have advised against it

You go with what players are on roster
CJ leaving opens opportunities for others and that is where Heller and staff will be focused

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT