ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks deserve to be ranked

td77

HB All-American
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2007
We've been pretty impressive thus far. Pitt brought all they could and rallied despite the score and our crowd. Withstanding all the other performances thus far; we deserved to be ranked. Thoughts?

I personally think we are deserving (mainly because I was impressed with what ISU and Pitt threw at us and we still managed to win). But we won't be jumping any teams above us just by beating non-ranked teams even if they were P-5 teams. We need teams above us to lose.

Probably premature for them to be ranked, although I think they're better than a good number of ranked teams. That said, I think Pitt will prove to be a very good team. I think they'll be in the hunt to win the ACC. In hindsight, I think this will be a very, very good win. That Pitt team is for real on both sides of the ball and have some serious playmakers.

Handle North Texas and pull out a win against Wisky at Wisky and we'll crack the top 25. Won't do it before that though.

Reactions: pink shizzle
the line play of iowa keeps them down a little, they need to step that up slightly

Agree. The D-line will obviously get a boost with Ott in the rotation, but we need a better push on D and better protection from the O-line. CJ is playing great, but he'll struggle to get the ball out and get really beat up in the Big Ten if we can't give him better pass protection. That said, I do think this was a Big Ten level team we just played, so while we do need to shore up our line play, I don't think we have a real long ways to go in that area.

Don't be surprised if they are ranked in the coaches poll if they beat North Texas. Odds are wisconsin will be ranked and if they can get two ranked teams playing each other it will be good for tv and good for conference revenue.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
Side note: If the Hawks played in the SEC they would be around 20'ish next week by default. Doesn't matter if you played anyone of note, as long as you're in the SEC you get like a 10 spot on the ranking scale.
Name one ranked SEC that Iowa would be favored against.

Probably premature for them to be ranked, although I think they're better than a good number of ranked teams. That said, I think Pitt will prove to be a very good team. I think they'll be in the hunt to win the ACC. In hindsight, I think this will be a very, very good win. That Pitt team is for real on both sides of the ball and have some serious playmakers.
In the hunt to win the ACC LOL

Nope. ISU is one of the worst P5 conference teams (Kansas, Vandy, Washington State and Wake are in the same conversation) and Pitt is somewhere between the 6th-8th best team in the ACC, may be lower than that without Conner.

Uh, no.
Great win last night on last second field goal.
But beating a middle of the pack ACC team isn't enough.
Beat north tex, then beat wisky to go 5-0. Then they'll see the top 25.

This thread is an amazing change of pace, are all the crazies still sleeping off their hangovers? Great to read posts with common sense and fact driven opinions.

No we don't. Have not beat anybody yet. We get one or two of our best players banged up and we have no good backups. Will be tough to do.

Name one ranked SEC that Iowa would be favored against.

Missouri. Struggled with Arkansas St and UCONN. Auburn would be favored for sure over us but they shouldn't be ranked. They are ranked because they are in the SEC and their name is Auburn. Arkansas no longer ranked but obviously over rated at the beginning of the year. ,

They could, but nothing I saw the first 3 weeks makes me think they will. High end, 7-5 with a 5-3 ACC record, more realistically 6-6 or 5-7.

Pitt does play in the ACC coastal which is easier than big 10 west so you never know

After years of mediocrity it's going to take a lot more than 3 wins over middle of the pack to bad teams to get up there. A win over Wisconsin would start to get peoples attention.

I haven't seen them yet but two things I am hearing about rankings this week that pretty much sum up college football and how its an unfair playing field.

Stanford 2-1/USC 2-1. Stanford whips USC on their home field and I am hearing USC is still ranked ahead of them. Why? Because their name is USC.

Auburn is still ranked. They needed overtime to beat Jacksonville State and got destroyed by LSU on their home field. Still ranked. Why? Because their name is Auburn.

After years of mediocrity it's going to take a lot more than 3 wins over middle of the pack to bad teams to get up there. A win over Wisconsin would start to get peoples attention.

And this is the problem with the polls. It should have absolutely nothing to do with last year. They shouldn't even put polls out until mid October.

Poll just came out.. Moved up one spot I believe.. 38th now
super-excited.gif

Reactions: BuckRussel
Iowa got 13 votes. 11 more than last week I believe.

Missouri still ranked. It's good to be in the SEC. That's funny right there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT