Fredrick.......16
Garza..........14
Kreiner........13
Tousaint......13

A case could be made that Connor and Nunge
should be replaced by Tousaint and Kreiner in
the Hawkeye starting lineup.

"Open and shut case, Johnson"
Hopefully Fran figures this out in the next month or two. That's why he's paid the big buck, am I right?

I know its early but....
Nunge looks to be a 10 minute role player at best
Pemsl - what little athleticism he started with is almost gone, limited role player, always been a fan
Patrick - needs a redshirt (realize this team is so desperate that wont happen), see him as a limited role player whose minutes will gradually increase, if there was ever a quick way to add 10-15 lbs....

Connor is a valuable moderate minute off the bench guy, but heavy minutes are needed between JoBo/CJF/Toussant at both guard positions

Weezy is a solid college player, but am just not seeing NBA in his future

Garza just needs to realize when he should be setting picks

Kreiner should start at the 4

Tonight Garza got stuffed under the basket as DePaul
got him to shoot bad shots or make turnovers.

Wieskamp was 1 out 7 on three pointers.

These two guys will be counted on to carry part of
the offense every game.

I don't get all the hate for Connor, he isn't terrible. I do agree that Joe should get more minutes and possibly even start.

I am starting to think we should just punt this year, redshirt Bohannon and Patrick, let guys get experience and then just let the chips fall where they may.

Next year, on paper, should be better.

I agree. There were far more problems than Connor tonight, mainly not having competent PF play.

Hard to judge a game reasonably when DePaul shoots lights out; some of which was self inflicted. Reminds me a bit of the Rutgers game at Carver last season.

Now we have to wait 3 weeks to prove ourselves against real competition again.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Kreiner is averaging 11 points for the first 2 games.
Nunge is averaging 1 point for the first 2 games.

Kreiner deserves to be on the floor at the same
time with Garza in the starting lineup.

Reactions: Y2KG21
Toussaint will get the reins,... relax, he's a freshman with two games under his belt...

Reactions: IowaAJ34
The solution is to take Nunge out and put Joe T in. Go smaller and spread the floor.

Everyone in the nba does it. It's time to stop worrying about height and start creating space on offense.

Kriener and Garza are 5s. Playing them together isn't the greatest option most nights although there will be times it is.

They had about 10 turnovers combined. Two bigs creates poor spacing allowing defenders to collapse the lane and it puts Kriener on the perimeter in bad positions with the ball in his hands needing to make decisions that he isn't comfortable with.

Nunge isn't the answer, man, he's just not playing well. If Pemsl and Nunge continue the play this bad, Garza and Kreiner need to be playing 30+ a game, and there is no way either would be that effective doing that. Could be a loooooooooong year.

Reactions: Y2KG21
The solution is to take Nunge out and put Joe T in. Go smaller and spread the floor.

Everyone in the nba does it. It's time to stop worrying about height and start creating space on offense.

Kriener and Garza are 5s. Playing them together isn't the greatest option most nights although there will be times it is.

They had about 10 turnovers combined. Two bigs creates poor spacing allowing defenders to collapse the lane and it puts Kriener on the perimeter in bad positions with the ball in his hands needing to make decisions that he isn't comfortable with.
I think RK is a great reserve and I expect him to have plenty of good games. Unless the opponent has TWO big, slow guys on the floor, though, I don't like Iowa having that lineup. I'm with you in Iowa going smaller for more minutes. Unless Nunge picks it up dramatically, his minutes per game should drop to single digits.

I don't get all the hate for Connor, he isn't terrible. I do agree that Joe should get more minutes and possibly even start.

I am starting to think we should just punt this year, redshirt Bohannon and Patrick, let guys get experience and then just let the chips fall where they may.

I think Connor had a decent game for himself. The problem is we need much more out of our PG and I don't think Connor can provide that. I don't even think JB can provide it.

As far as JB redshirting, I think the best thing to do is for him not to redshirt. He's been a great Hawkeye and I love watching him shoot but he's just not the guy that's going to get us to the level we're wanting. With more guards coming in next year, it might be harder for JB to get playing time. He should just play out this year.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Fran's trying to play too many guys again. He needs to find and core of 8,9 maybe 10, of the best guys and stick to them. And I have no hate for Connor, is does some nice things but he's not the best option for starting pg.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Iowa won't beat anyone without production from Wieskamp. The scouting report is fairly simple. Take away Joe W and surround Garza. Nunge so far as been a massive disappointment and I was high on his upside. Toussaint & Fredrick were the only ones who showed me some fight.

The Hawkeye scoring was led by:

Fredrick.......16
Garza..........14
Kreiner........13
Tousaint......13

"Open and shut case, Johnson"
Hopefully Fran figures this out in the next month or two. That's why he's paid the big buck, am I right?
with the pre season hype about Nunge, he had not looked like a starter. I agree about Kreiner. He looked pretty good last night

Reactions: Hawksfor3

Wait I was told we would be better this year. You know, addition by subtraction and stuff. It’s early and I won’t ever give up, but the lack of athleticism is glaring.

Not seeing much talent on this team, Weezy the only true go to kind of player. You need 2 or 3 to have a shot at being a great team.

I don't know how you make these pieces work since none are complimentary to each other and the system, if there is one, seems to accentuate what these guys can't do. The team needs a different dynamic at PG. I don't know what the minute distribution looks like, but Joe needs more PT with the first unit.

I have no clue how to incorporate Nunge and Pemsl. It's really early and both have some rust to shake off. I am more hopeful for Pemsl. Going small with Joe, Evelyn, Kriener, CJ and JW or JBo would be interesting to see. If Joe and Evelyn can go north-south, they will have multiple guys to feed and Kriener's interior game is more versatile than Garza's. Not sure where the pick and pop action went, but it needs to return. Putting guys in the corner in hopes the defense gets lazy didn't work well last night.

Other than Joe T and CJF I was entirely unimpressed with the rest of the team. It's going to be a very, very long year. This team is Lickliter bad.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Starters arent a big deal, but who gets major minutes is.

Fran can't continue playing 11 guys.

Fredrick.......16
Garza..........14
Kreiner........13
Tousaint......13

Fredrick.......16
Garza..........14
Kreiner........13
Tousaint......13

I just wonder what Fran is seeing in practice that would lead him to start Nunge and Connor.

All the comments on the point guards are a little perplexing. Not many comments concerning Joe W having almost as many turnovers as he had points, or the big fat zero’s from Evelyn and Nunge.
Probably a whole lot of emotion driving that, and the coach’s sons are going to get the worst of it deserved or not when a loss like this happens.

I'm getting the feels that Patrick won't redshirt so he has that redshirt in his back pocket if things don't turn around.

Patrick M. does not have a body built for Big Ten
Conference competition. He needs at least 20
more pounds of muscle. Pat looks like an injury
waiting to happen. Redshirt would give him an
opportunity to grow into college basketball.

Kriener had a nice post move for a dunk in the second half, then got pulled. Only got to play 5 minutes in the second half. Finished with 13 points and 8 boards in 17 minutes.

Reactions: skydog0784
When we played zone especially in the first half, they launched jumpers over it with no problem. Probably should have gone smaller and maybe more man to man.

Right but those jumpers were not open shots and they were not good shots.

Those are the shots you want other teams to take, they just went in. It was fluke.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Right but those jumpers were not open shots and they were not good shots.

Those are the shots you want other teams to take, they just went in. It was fluke.
No doubts there. They were scorching in the first half. The only really wide open 3 PTer I saw was the one Coleman-Lands hit from the top of the key I believe in the first half.

Fran's trying to play too many guys again. He needs to find and core of 8,9 maybe 10, of the best guys and stick to them. And I have no hate for Connor, is does some nice things but he's not the best option for starting pg.
I think you don't pay very close attention. There really wasn't anyone playing worht a darn last night ans he was grasping at straws(again) to find players that will going to get something done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT