ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks wide receiver depth chart concerns

hawkeyefan201064

Team MVP
Apr 8, 2010
Questions
1. What is the wide receiver depth chart?
2. Will we get a portal wide receiver?
3. Will any running backs or other players be moved to wide receiver?

Wide receivers are overrated. Don't need them. That aside...

1 Brown
Anderson
Wetjen
Buie

2 No

3) Already did that with Washington.
This, except they might get a portal WR. I think there are one or two they are pursuing?

Reactions: Torg
This, except they might get a portal WR. I think there are one or two they are pursuing?
This got me thinking. If they did, it would mean that virtually all of the wide receiver targets would be going to portal transfers being thrown by portal transfers. We can probably already assume that 3/4 of them will be going to Brown and Anderson without anyone else from the portal. People complaining about the portal should think about that.

On a related note, I wonder if they end up moving Mota to the defensive backfield when all is said and done. He seems like a good athlete that could have success but seemed a bit of a reach as a wide receiver given his lack of experience at that position. Anybody heard anything on that front?

Last edited:
This got me thinking. If they did, it would mean that virtually all of the wide receiver targets would be going to portal transfers being thrown by portal transfers. We can probably already assume that 3/4 of them will be going to Brown and Anderson without anyone else from the portal. People complaining about the portal should think about that.

On a related note, I wonder if they end up moving Mota to the defensive backfield when all is said and done. He seems like a good athlete that could have success but seemed a bit of a reach as a wide receiver given his lack of experience at that position. Anybody heard anything on that front?
What position did Mota mainly play in high school football?

It's pretty wild that Bostick left... he would have been a big piece to the offense this year. Makes you wonder what was going on, but at least he didn't end up at ISU.
Bostick seemed to always be injured. Hopefully, his health is better going forward.

Reactions: Torg

I think you’re probably correct, unless Washington pops. It’s plausible.

Wide receivers are overrated. Don't need them. That aside...

1 Brown
Anderson
Wetjen
Buie

2 No

3) Already did that with Washington.
This - trade in all the wide reciever slots to add a second offensive line behind the first offensive line. That outta slow the defenses down a bit

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Might be the worst WR room in the B10
I would disagree. In addition to Brown, Wetjen, Anderson and Buie, ( all good athletes) you have Dayton Howard, Washington and Mota . There is a good combination of speed, quickness and size in this group. Also, in the fall KJ Parker and Reece Vander Zee will be joining this group. I think the WR room is in much better shape than people think.

lol did Jonesy really just say portal WR transfers aren't interested in Iowa because nearly all the receptions are already accounted for with Brown (22 career catches for 200 yrds) and Anderson (11 career receptions for 150 yrds)? That's out of 14 games last year! Hell, each had more drops than catches last year.

Give me a break. No transfer WR worth their salt would be intimidated by Iowa's roster competition. In fact, I'd venture to say Brown and Anderson are the worst/least productive starting WRs returning in the entire Big 10.

Iowa should be dream location for even below average WRs buried on their depth charts and looking for playing time. Most would see the field more at Iowa than MAC schools.

The only thing I agree with is that Mota is not a Big 10 WR and will likely end up on defense, where he played in hs.

Last edited:
I would disagree. In addition to Brown, Wetjen, Anderson and Buie, ( all good athletes) you have Dayton Howard, Washington and Mota . There is a good combination of speed, quickness and size in this group. Also, in the fall KJ Parker and Reece Vander Zee will be joining this group. I think the WR room is in much better shape than people think.
I might agree with you that the potential is there. On the other hand, our returning receivers had a grand total of 33 catches last year. I'm too lazy to look, but I suspect that would be dead last among BIG teams.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
He’s a Nebraska fan.

The truth is we have no idea what we have because Brian was such an awful OC.

I agree with this 100%. The talent is there in the WR room. If the scheme helps them get open and the QBs can actually throw it to them(and i believe they will), they will be a big part of the offense this year.

Reactions: HaWkGuY45 and Torg
I mean…It’s gotta improve at some point, right?

Maybe..just maybe..it’ll be this year.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
lol did Jonesy really just say portal WR transfers aren't interested in Iowa because nearly all the receptions are already accounted for with Brown (22 career catches for 200 yrds) and Anderson (11 career receptions for 150 yrds)? That's out of 14 games last year! Hell, each had more drops than catches last year.

Give me a break. No transfer WR worth their salt would be intimidated by Iowa's roster competition. In fact, I'd venture to say Brown and Anderson are the worst/least productive starting WRs returning in the entire Big 10.

Iowa should be dream location for even below average WRs buried on their depth charts and looking for playing time. Most would see the field more at Iowa than MAC schools.
That is not even close to what he is saying, you dolt.

He is saying neary all of the targets(passes) next year will be going to players who transferred in through the portal. Especially if add another portal WR. To go along with that, all the passes will be thrown by QBs who came in via the portal.

Do you ever tire of making an ass of yourself?

No. No he didn't. If you haven't already maybe you should get a scan to see if you have any worms starving to death inside that empty skull of yours.

Reactions: Birky

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

Reactions: BurgHawk87

I didn't say anything like that. You're really bad at reading comprehension.

Reactions: Torg and BurgHawk87
Grayes if off the board to Cal. Kasper appears to be getting a role to Oregon, when many thought that was an option. McClain from PSU is a name only to go with tat 4* profile. Biggest issue right now is there just isn't much available.

Might be the worst WR room in the B10
The last few years you would have been correct. Two years ago it might have been the worst in FBS. It was somewhat difficult to evaluate the position group last year given the completely broken offense and QB situation. This year's group won't likely set the world on fire either, but it's got potential to be middling. Brown showed he could be a weapon the second half of last season and has the potential to be a breakout player under the new OC and less than horrendous QB play. Somebody else is going to have to step up as a solid #2 option. I'm reasonably optimistic that someone out of that group can get there.

He’s a Nebraska fan.

The truth is we have no idea what we have because Brian was such an awful OC.
This is correct to a certain extent. Broken offense being led by horrific QB play makes it really difficult to evaluate some of these guys. The only thing we really know is that Brown is a real talent that can make big plays if given the opportunity. We have no idea how any of the rest will pan out.

I might agree with you that the potential is there. On the other hand, our returning receivers had a grand total of 33 catches last year. I'm too lazy to look, but I suspect that would be dead last among BIG teams.
You don't need to look.

The WR's won't matter one bit this year if the O line doesn't give better pass protection. Hopefully the new schemes and RPO will hold the D line & LB's enough to give QB's time to throw to WR's downfield.

That is not even close to what he is saying, you dolt.

He is saying neary all of the targets(passes) next year will be going to players who transferred in through the portal. Especially if add another portal WR. To go along with that, all the passes will be thrown by QBs who came in via the portal.

Do you ever tire of making an ass of yourself?
No, no, he doesn't. He LIVES to make an ass of himself. It's his way of creating himself some upward mobility.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Part of what got Lester the job was the fact that he said the right things about TE usage.

While Iowa's new offense might be more WR-friendly ... the TEs are still going to get plenty of looks.

Furthermore, Ferentz also imposes the philosophy of balance ... so you gotta figure that Iowa will still ideally want to run the ball around 55% of the time (if they can). Given that Lester implements plenty of RPO elements ... the premise there centers around easy reads and quick decisions.

Given that Iowa has a competent RB-room ... odds are that opposing Ds will try to take that away ... which means that the passing reads will more likely be there (unless Ds figure out how to cover that too). If the QB(s) can make the throws ... then that could pop for some decent yardage (certainly more than the average run-play).

As a consequence ... if we can keep Ds honest ... then the passing game really could open up the running game for us. It's been a while since we could say that.

And if the running game can grind away ... then that is going to help with field-position and TOP ... which can help keep our D fresh (and aggressive).

One can hope ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT