ADVERTISEMENT

He pointed a finger gun at his neighbor. It's a crime, Pennsylvania court rules.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
On a warm day in June 2018, Stephen Kirchner was walking with a fellow neighbor when they came up on Josh Klingseisen's yard.

They were not friendly with Klingseisen. In fact, the woman walking with Kirchner, Elaine Natore, had a "no contact" order against Klingseisen, who happened to be outside mulching in his yard in Manor Township, Pennsylvania, as the two neighbors passed. Kirchner stopped, and the two men made eye contact.

Then, Kirchner raised his arm. He pointed a finger like a gun, "made a recoil motion as if to suggest he had shot him," as the Pennsylvania Superior Court described it - and ended up charged with criminal disorderly conduct as a result.

Now, after fighting the case for more than a year, a Pennsylvania state appeals court has upheld Kirchner's conviction on the misdemeanor offense, ruling this week that the 64-year-old's finger gun-pointing "served no legitimate purpose, and recklessly risked provoking a dangerous altercation. "

"We conclude that there was sufficient evidence that Kirchner's act of mimicking his shooting Klingseisen created a hazardous condition," Judge Maria McLaughlin wrote in the Tuesday opinion.

Kirchner argued his actions were so minimal that they shouldn't even be considered criminal. A mere hand gesture - "albeit in the rough form of a gun" - couldn't possibly arise to the standard of disorderly conduct, he argued, and he had no intent to cause "public alarm" or create "hazardous conditions."

But it's not uncommon for people to be arrested for making the gesture, or for schoolchildren to be disciplined for pointing finger-guns at other kids and saying, "Pow," in class, especially in the wakes of school shootings. Finger guns might be as harmless as a corny way to say hello or to shoot some imaginary thing, but in the eyes of police or school administrators, if a person on the receiving end of the pretend-gun feels threatened, it's criminal behavior or grounds for suspension.

Take it from the Pennsylvania Superior Court: Kirchner may not have intended to cause public alarm, but nevertheless, he did - because a woman called 911 on him, the court reasoned.

The June 7, 2018, incident was captured on surveillance video, which Klingseisen had installed at his home "due to ongoing confrontations between him and Natore," the court said. It's unclear what led to the rocky relationship or "no contact" order.

Still, it wasn't easy for the woman to avoid Klingseisen's house. The alleyway Natore and Kirchner were walking through passes by his home on the way to where she lives.

Kirchner, wearing basketball shorts and flip-flops, said that when he stopped, Klingseisen flipped him the bird - "with both hands," he testified.

So Kirchner simply returned the gesture. Walking away, he seemed to be smiling, at least according to the grainy surveillance.

But to Yvonne Rodriguez it wasn't funny. Rodriguez saw the exchange from her front porch and felt "insecure," deciding to call police, she would later testify. Klingseisen also said that Kirchner's gunlike hand gesture made him feel "extremely threatened," according to testimony.

"Kirchner acted with a reckless disregard of creating a risk of public alarm, as evidenced by the fact that an eyewitness on a neighboring property contacted 911 because Kirchner's actions caused her to feel insecure," the court wrote.

This isn't the first time a court has been asked to make a ruling on the issue when finger-gun-pointers have challenged their convictions.

In 2017, a Florida court ruled that pointing a finger gun at an off-duty cop was not protected First Amendment speech. The ex-con who got arrested for disorderly conduct over the gesture had told the officer, "Officer Hernandez, I got you now!"

"As almost everyone who was ever a child can testify, no one has ever been killed or injured by forming fingers into the shape of a gun and dropping the hammer [thumb]," Assistant Public Defender Paul Nuñez wrote in a motion asking the court to declare the disorderly conduct law unconstitutional, the Miami Herald reported. "There is no objective true threat here from that gesture."

But, again, the court found the cop felt threatened and feared for her life. Therefore, it was a "true threat" - a crime.

In other finger-gun cases, in May, a homeless man in Palm Beach, Fla., was arrested for making finger guns at passersby and mouthing the word, "Boom." The Palm Beach Daily News reports he had been previously warned that "his actions were scaring people." In a case of road rage last year, a 58-year-old Ohio man was arrested on an aggravated menacing charge for allegedly making a finger gun at the driver in front of him, causing the man to fear he would be shot, the Mansfield News Journal reported.

As The Washington Post reported in 2013, in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shooting, play-fighting between kids at school, using imaginary guns and crossbows, was seen by school administrators as misbehavior. In one case in Virginia, an 8-year-old boy pointed a finger-gun at his friend in the hallway and was suspended for "threatening to harm himself or others." The next year, the same thing happened to a 10-year-old boy in an Ohio school after he pointed a finger-gun at his friend's head and said, "boom."

"How much of a threat can it really be for a 10-year-old to hold up his fingers?" the boy's father told CNN. "I would like for somebody to explain this to me because apparently I don't get it. This is way over the boundary."

For Kirchner, the punishment for his disorderly conduct conviction was a $100 fine plus court costs, WGAL reported. His attorney told AP they did not plan to appeal after the Tuesday ruling.

https://www.nonpareilonline.com/new...cle_c82cde44-34bd-5d6a-89fd-8d6b7912691d.html

Hold on a second.

It seems to me that in some of these cases that there was words spoken or a history there that the victims could legitimately perceive it as a threat to their lives.

To me it's not about how the victim feels but how a reasonable person in the place of the victim would interpret that. And it sounds strongly to me that a reasonable person might view that as a threat given the words spoken and/or the history.

Now others there doesn't seem to be a legit threat there and it sounds ridiculous.

What? PA courts made a silly decisions?

I mean I can act surprised if you want me to

At least in the first instance, there's at least some prior history behind it that might lend more weight to the action.

On it's own, I wouldn't consider the finger gun to be a threatening gesture in and of itself. Circumstances would have a major impact on each incident in turn.

Ridiculous.

The charge was disorderly conduct, which seems to be a catch all when police need a crime. SMH

This is getting unreal. 2 years ago my son was given an in school suspension (8th grade) because he moved his hand in front of his throat as a "knock it off" gesture. A kid was asking him a question in class after they had just been told to be quiet by the teacher. My son wanted to silently tell him to be quiet. The other kid went to the principal claiming it was a violent threat to cut off his head. The fight I had with the school was epic.

This is getting unreal. 2 years ago my son was given an in school suspension (8th grade) because he moved his hand in front of his throat as a "knock it off" gesture. A kid was asking him a question in class after they had just been told to be quiet by the teacher. My son wanted to silently tell him to be quiet. The other kid went to the principal claiming it was a violent threat to cut off his head. The fight I had with the school was epic.

Anything school-related almost needs it's own category I think. Sometimes it feels like soap operas have less (and more realistic) drama than your average school.

Not knocking what happened to your kid, I hope everything got straightened out. Had your school had issues in the past that they decided to make your kid an example or something like that?

I taught mostly high school but subbed in junior high. It was stuff like that that made me not even consider teaching elementary because as a guy, I was terrified of how easy it would be for some kid/parent to take any gesture the wrong way and cost me my job.

No prior incidents that I am aware of. Ultimately he served his suspension and that was the end of it. In talking to the principal I pointed out that in the business world (real world actually) that a hand across the throat is a common gesture for stop, knock it off, be quiet, etc. He said he had never seen or heard anyone use the gesture for anything except the one finger "I'll cut your head off". I was floored, living in an affluent area that he had ever seen someone threaten to cut off another persons head, we are not in cartel run Mexico. I suggested he watch Storage Wars over the weekend to see that it is a common gesture in auctions and other areas of life not involving high risk criminal endeavors. He did not think my suggestion was necessary or helpful.

No prior incidents that I am aware of. Ultimately he served his suspension and that was the end of it. In talking to the principal I pointed out that in the business world (real world actually) that a hand across the throat is a common gesture for stop, knock it off, be quiet, etc. He said he had never seen or heard anyone use the gesture for anything except the one finger "I'll cut your head off". I was floored, living in an affluent area that he had ever seen someone threaten to cut off another persons head, we are not in cartel run Mexico. I suggested he watch Storage Wars over the weekend to see that it is a common gesture in auctions and other areas of life not involving high risk criminal endeavors. He did not think my suggestion was necessary or helpful.

Weird, about the only thing I can think of is that the gesture was described to him as a variant of the throat-slashing gesture, which I could see some justification for a disciplinary action. I'd have thought a simple detention or two would have been sufficient disciplinary action for something like this, unless there had been a rash or incidents or something prior.

Also, is it possible that the parents of the kid in question have outsized influence? I feel for your kid regardless. That absolutely seems like an overreaction. Glad to hear that it didn't go any further.

School administrators often overreact because they have to cover themselves if something comes up later. Well, that, and today's PC, everyone-is-offended-by-everything world.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT