ADVERTISEMENT

Heard on the radio (from a Neb station), Adrian Martinez will win the Heisman

Ya, except post #49 is one of the dumbest in this thread.
Cool....thanks.

You're too cool man...

I guess most people can read posts, but some folks just cant comprehend.....you must be one of those...

I'll chalk it up to your first day...looks like u talk out your azz....so far.

Last edited:
I dont know why people make such a big deal about mobile QBS getting hurt.

Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
MArcus Mariota
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin
Cam Newton
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith

9 of the past 13 Heismen Winners have had some level of mobility. Heres how it works, they tend to run more in their younger years (RGIII) and as their passing game improves they run less and less, their running ability becomes another weapon in the arsenal that the defense has to prepare for.

Id even argue that Statue QBs take bigger hits. Martinez would have been murdered last year with Nebraska's Oline issues. See Tanner Lee.

I dont know why people make such a big deal about mobile QBS getting hurt.

Kyler Murray
Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
MArcus Mariota
Johnny Manziel
Robert Griffin
Cam Newton
Tim Tebow
Troy Smith

9 of the past 13 Heismen Winners have had some level of mobility. Heres how it works, they tend to run more in their younger years (RGIII) and as their passing game improves they run less and less, their running ability becomes another weapon in the arsenal that the defense has to prepare for.

Id even argue that Statue QBs take bigger hits. Martinez would have been murdered last year with Nebraska's Oline issues. See Tanner Lee.
You really have no clue do you? Dumbest thing I have ever read on ANY rivals message board...

It really constitutes ignoration...

Reactions: sltldowney
According to the 1620 station out of Omaha, Martinez is a favorite to be in the final four, and supposedly has the 4th best odds to win the trophy behind Lawrence, Tua and Hurts according to Brett McMurphy. I’m assuming this is complete bull crap.

4th best player in the country? Doubtful in my opinion. Maybe 3rd or 4th best QB in the Big Ten.
Got any Nebraska updates on their AD being fired or their RB being arrested? Just trying to keep up with the Nebraska wing of our board.

Mr.Bean-Middle-Finger.gif

Reactions: throwin bones50
I’m very aware of all of that. All those qualities that you listed allowed him to throw for 18 TDs in 10.5 games, which won’t win him any Heismans. He threw for fewer TDs than Stanley and fewer yards per completion. If he is going to win the heisman or even be a finalist, he absolutely has to throw for more long TDs. Also, don’t forget he loses Stanley Morgan this year. Vegas is making a lot of money on Husker homers this year.
Martinez (Freshman) accumulated a total of 25 TDs (passing/rushing) in 11 games compared to Stanley's (Junior) 27 total in 13 games. Martinez also totaled 3235 yds compared to Stanley's 2843, again in 2 less games. Martinez also completed 7.5 yds per attempt and Stanley was 7.4.

It's foolish to think Martinez won't improve on those numbers. Look at what Milton did at UCF from yr 1 to 2 under Frost - https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mckenzie-milton-1.html

Nebraska will need to win 10 games and the West for Martinez to get a shot as a Heisman finalist, but stats won't be what keeps him out of the conversation.

This thread is about winning the Heisman. I’m not questioning how good he is gonna be, I’m questioning a Heisman run without hitting more downfield throws. Haskins threw 50 TD passes and 2,200 more yards than Martinez. You can’t gain that ground by throwing bubble screens. The good thing for him is that Nebraska’s defense will give up lots of points so he will have plenty of opportunities.
In this same offense, Milton at UCF totaled 45 TDs and had 4650 total yrds in his 2nd year as Frost's QB.

Dynamic dual threat QBs can and do win Heismans. He still has to do it on the field this year, but looking at Frost's past QB results and what Martinez did as a true freshman with a bum wheel almost all year I think having him in that second tier of possible Heisman candidates isn't all that crazy.

Stanley has a better chance. Martinez won’t be on a team with a record good enough to be considered.
Sorry but this is laughable...lol!

Stanley is a good QB and will probably get drafted, but he has zero chance at a Heisman. He just lost his top 2 receiving weapons and hasn't shown he can put up the numbers needed to get a sniff at a Heisman. I highly doubt that Iowa's 8-4 record will good enough also to get him a look either.

I'm not saying Martinez will, but he has a better chance IMO and apparently the opinion of non-Husker fans in the media.

I live in SWIowa, I watch every Husker game I can rooting for them to lose. He had a common theme this year. Throw a lot of short routes to open up the long ball. The problem was, he missed on a lot of long balls. Which is why he had a lower yard per completion than Stanley did.
Yet Martinez had a slightly higher yard per attempt which IMO is a more important stat.

A guy can go 6-10 for 90 yrds vs 7-10 for 100 yrds. I'll take the 10 extra yrds and more completions.

Yet Martinez had a slightly higher yard per attempt which IMO is a more important stat.

A guy can go 6-10 for 90 yrds vs 7-10 for 100 yrds. I'll take the 10 extra yrds and more completions.
A guy that throws a lot of line of scrimmage throws is going to have a higher completion percentage and higher yards per attempt simply because he can throw an easy pass and get one yard out of it instead of an incompletion thrown down the field.

Yards per completion is a better indication of throwing the ball further down the field, which is my point.

Well you lost best receiver and your running backs. The one dude RB should never see the field there again. Your O line better get a lot better, and everyone now has a season of experience against him and Scotty's offense. And I don't believe he will make it an entire season healthy.
You'll see Martinez, now in his 2nd yr, spread the ball around more. TE's will get more involved and the Duck-R position that wasn't utilized much or at all will have guys that fit it like Miles Jones and Wandale Robinson available. JD will get his catches, but you'll see a lot more guys involved. Last season was basically just JD and Morgan in the passing game. At UCF Frost's TE's caught a lot of balls and their Duck-R guy, Otis Anderson had over 700 yrds as a true freshman.

Yes, B1G teams will have seen some of Frost's offense, but the NU players now have a full year in the system and will be much better also. Playing against Frost's teams didn't help PAC12 and AAC defenses stop his offense.

Predicting injuries is pointless. Nobody knows. Only reason Martinez missed time last season was due to a dirty play. Colorado LB literally twisted his foot/leg after the play was over.

A guy that throws a lot of line of scrimmage throws is going to have a higher completion percentage and higher yards per attempt simply because he can throw an easy pass and get one yard out of it instead of an incompletion thrown down the field.

Yards per completion is a better indication of throwing the ball further down the field, which is my point.
He's not getting just one yard with the quick short passes. That's my point. Stats show he is getting more yards per attempt than Stanley. I'll take a higher percentage throw that gets the same or better results.

The point of Frost's offense is to get the ball in play-makers hands. You can't really argue with his results based on past performances at Oregon, UCF, and now Nebraska.

Reactions: throwin bones50
He's not getting just one yard with the quick short passes. That's my point. Stats show he is getting more yards per attempt than Stanley. I'll take a higher percentage throw that gets the same or better results.

The point of Frost's offense is to get the ball in play-makers hands. You can't really argue with his results based on past performances at Oregon, UCF, and now Nebraska.
And now Nebraska? They won four games last year... you guys have already anointed frost as the savior and he hasn’t saved anything yet. Your expectations on the poor guy is going to kill you. He will prolly be a great coach but let him prove it before you call him one

Reactions: WestIAHawk
According to the 1620 station out of Omaha, Martinez is a favorite to be in the final four, and supposedly has the 4th best odds to win the trophy behind Lawrence, Tua and Hurts according to Brett McMurphy. I’m assuming this is complete bull crap.

4th best player in the country? Doubtful in my opinion. Maybe 3rd or 4th best QB in the Big Ten.

And now Nebraska? They won four games last year... you guys have already anointed frost as the savior and he hasn’t saved anything yet. Your expectations on the poor guy is going to kill you. He will prolly be a great coach but let him prove it before you call him one
Well, I'll give Frosty one thing....hes the only coach in America where the offensive scheme is to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers...

Someone get this info to KF and BF...

I’m showing you why mathematically a QB in an offense that throws a lot of short passes has a higher YPA than someone in a pro style offense.

They are a lot higher percentage throws. You complete more passes, you get fewer 0’s computed into that stat.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Last 6 B1G games...

35.3 points per game.
474.1 yards per game.

Nebraska’s defense will be the deciding factor in 2019 whether or not we make a big jump record wise. Our offense will put up numbers.
If I had to guess, what they did in the second half of the season last year was good enough to be a top 15 offense.

Project that into next year and who knows where that will be.

Defensive growth will be a big deciding point of season success. Defensive 2 deep has a better idea of what to expect, but the offensive side has the head man.

If I had to guess, what they did in the second half of the season last year was good enough to be a top 15 offense.

Defensive growth will be a big deciding point of season success. Defensive 2 deep has a better idea of what to expect, but the offensive side has the head man.
Are you guys at all concerned about losing Ozigbo and Stanley Morgan?

I was really impressed with his accuracy and pocket presence. He definitely has that coveted 6th sense in the pocket.

Of course, the offense will no longer be new to the B1G but they could be a juggernaut next year. I wonder if they will go with a QB platoon next year with the transfer....
This. He was the opposite of what I expected in the Iowa game.

The 2nd half of the season, including Bethune and Illannoy did not fall into the top 15 scoring offenses for the NCAA.

There’s no doubt about it. Here’s why...

• Maurice Washington would have been our presumed starter. He’s now facing serious legal problems in California.

• Incoming Juco transfer Dedrick Mills, while expected to make it to campus, still has a little bit of work to do to qualify from my understanding. He’s expected to play a lot.

• Our only production returning in the WR room other than JD Speilman is walk-on Kade Warner.

Now I will say we have a few freshman coming in who we are very excited about. In particular Wandale Robinson and Rahmir Johnson.

We also have a trio of tall TEs (6’5”, 6’7” and 6’8”) who we expect to make a jump and give us some solid production.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
I’m showing you why mathematically a QB in an offense that throws a lot of short passes has a higher YPA than someone in a pro style offense.

They are a lot higher percentage throws. You complete more passes, you get fewer 0’s computed into that stat.
I'm not disagreeing with that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your original point that seemed to imply Martinez can't win a Heisman unless he makes and completes more downfield throws.

I was arguing that notion by pointing out that a team can still gain yards on shorter safer passed and that it doesn't need to be downfield higher risk throws. Mariota won a Heisman and Milton was a finalist in a Frost run offense. Agree to disagree I guess.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
Yes.

RB has next to no experience, but that's a spot you don't need a ton. We had a hell of a class and have a juco who was freshmen all American at Georgia Tech. A guy who is an absolute stud who nobody on our board is talking about in Johnson.

WR I think they will benefit from Adrain growing as a player. They don't have a ton returning outside of JD because with a freshmen QB they simplified the game and got the ball to two guys. There was plenty of plays where a few guys were open, but a freshmen QB just didn't find them.

I also really like a few WRs who had some injuries they were battling.

This offense will be extremely young as well, but very talented and very fast.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: Tranmer13
He accounted for 19 touchdowns (6 rushing, 13 passing) in has last 6 conference games (not counting Bethune Cookman). Two of those games he was without JD Spielman, which left him with one real target. The lightbulb went on for the entire team at Northwestern, which was pretty clear.

Too bad the Nebby lightbulb went out with 2 minutes left in the game.

Reactions: sltldowney
It appears the annual off-season migration of Nebraska fans telling us "you just wait" is under way.

Pardon me if I take the "prove it" approach after you've inundated our boards beating your chest about how much more talent you have in Lincoln. Then it comes time to prove it and you've fallen short.

Until they prove it, spare us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT