ADVERTISEMENT

Heat, the movie

CoachH

HR MVP
Jun 26, 2001
Great movie. Great cast, well-acted by its stars top to bottom. The bank shootout is iconic.

Pretty smart movie, IMO. But I still can't get over why they would hire Waingro in the first place to do a job. As tight a group as they are, no outsiders, very cautious. Yet McCauley makes this incredible error which brings them all down.

Huge plot hole to an otherwise great movie. Was it touched on in the film why they thought enough of him to help with the armored car heist?

Robert Deniro is a grade A fvck face.
robert de niro compliment GIF

Great movie. Great cast, well-acted by its stars top to bottom. The bank shootout is iconic.

Pretty smart movie, IMO. But I still can't get over why they would hire Waingro in the first place to do a job. As tight a group as they are, no outsiders, very cautious. Yet McCauley makes this incredible error which brings them all down.

Huge plot hole to an otherwise great movie. Was it touched on in the film why they thought enough of him to help with the armored car heist?
It's definitely a podium finisher of the most-hyped, testosterone fueled, gun bro, Maxim magazine, frat basement, projection television, surround sound, high-five flicks of all time. NTTAWWT. Pretty much any Michael Mann film.

There is a podcast that I listen to called The Rewatchables. It's part of Bill Simmons' Ringer Network. They basically go on there and talk about movies, their favorite scenes, the actors, the directors, plot holes, etc. It's a great listen. The movie Heat is basically the reason why they started doing this podcast. I think they have 2 or 3 episodes dedicated to just Heat. One of the episodes has Michael Mann, the director, on it and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

Edit: Adding to this. On the episode that Mann joins them, Simmons and co. have this elaborate breakdown of who they think Vincent is and what motivates him, and why he is the way he is. Mann basically says, "No, there's no elaborate back story on Vincent. He's basically just a cocaine addicted man hunter always looking for his next thrill." I thought that was funny.

Reactions: Dorrman
There is a podcast that I listen to called The Rewatchables. It's part of Bill Simmons' Ringer Network. They basically go on there and talk about movies, their favorite scenes, the actors, the directors, plot holes, etc. It's a great listen. The movie Heat is basically the reason why they started doing this podcast. I think they have 2 or 3 episodes dedicated to just Heat. One of the episodes has Michael Mann, the director, on it and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

Edit: Adding to this. On the episode that Mann joins them, Simmons and co. have this elaborate breakdown of who they think Vincent is and what motivates him, and why he is the way he is. Mann basically says, "No, there's no elaborate back story on Vincent. He's basically just a cocaine addicted man hunter always looking for his next thrill." I thought that was funny.
I love the Rewatchables.
My favorite is the 4 1/2 hour episode of Boogie Nights

Three plot holes. The one you point out, and then two others:

Why would they share the plan to knock off the Far East Bank? He’s a sub for the armored car job at best. Not part of the crew.

And the one that pisses me off - When the police pull Chris over at the beach, he gives them a fake ID and escapes. Like the cops wouldn’t have had photos of Chris for the search?

Still a great flick.

Reactions: stickman80
Three plot holes. The one you point out, and then two others:

Why would they share the plan to knock off the Far East Bank? He’s a sub for the armored car job at best. Not part of the crew.

And the one that pisses me off - When the police pull Chris over at the beach, he gives them a fake ID and escapes. Like the cops wouldn’t have had photos of Chris for the search?

Still a great flick.
4th plot hole - Ashley Judd not being nude in every scene. Big mistake.

Definitely a top 10 favorite movie of mine, no question. I watch it 3-4 times a year, it’s that freaking good.

But I still can't get over why they would hire Waingro in the first place to do a job. As tight a group as they are, no outsiders, very cautious. Yet McCauley makes this incredible error which brings them all down.

Here’s where you’re wrong: these guys are criminals. They’re flaky. They get HEAT and can’t show up. We don’t know why they agreed to bring on Waynegro, but it probably wasn’t part of Neil’s original plan (“Let’s get three guys I’ve known for years and an absolute wild card to rob this armored car…) We see a similar scenario play out later in the movie during the bank heist. “Trejo,” conveniently played by Danny Trejo can’t ditch his heat and leaves the gang without a getaway driver. Neil has to make a decision on the fly - abandon the gig or enlist the grill man played by the All State guy. Neil hasn’t seen this guy in years, doesn’t know if he’s a narc, what his story is… like Tom Sizemore though, the action IS the juice for Neil, and he brings him on, no questions asked. That’s two straight heists (if we don’t count the aborted one Neil walks on after hearing the cop in the trailer) this super team of bad guys has had to bring a stranger along on. You want dependability, get a 9-5 and go to barbecues and ballgames. Same goes for Vincent Hanna. Don’t spend all your time chasing bad guys around the block if you don’t want Ralph to bang your old lady and watch your tv in her ex-husband’s dead tech post modern house. These guys are making decisions on the fly in a fast paced, constantly changing environment. They aren’t the greatest decisions, but they’re the best ones under the circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT